The Hub SA - What has it become, and where is it going?

Caerus

you make my point. thank you. the issue is not what you think, but what some others might think, or did think. this were clearly demonstrated, yet nothing was done. this did not need interpretation or judgement from other moderators, the tribe has spoken, or in this case , thehub :)

So I've been voted off the island? Damn...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look, a potentially interesting thread slowly descending into the mire of repeated, point making. Right ho, off to read the classifieds, there is always something funny, unexpected, interesting and informative there... very little knickers in knots either.

Oh look, a potentially interesting thread slowly descending into the mire of repeated, point making. Right ho, off to read the classifieds, there is always something funny, unexpected, interesting and informative there... very little knickers in knots either.

Unless you tell the seller their price is too high...

Nah. On second thoughts...couldn't be bothered...

Sorry TW but i have another question for you.

Dont you think that your profile picture might cause some people to feel offended?

As far as the hub rules go nudity is not allowed.

And i will be reporting the picture.

This is not a bait at you but I feel offended with the picture.

Edit spelling

Edited by Carpet

Dont you think that your profile picture might cause some people to feel offended?

As far as the hub rules go nudety is not allowed.

Apparently you are the second person to be offended by it today. I'll remove it tomorrow when I'm near a computer unless one of the mods or Admin deems it necessary to remove upon your report with a sense of urgency.

Feeling omnipotent / invincible / unreachable behind your keyboard / tablet / cellphone? I stand by what I've said. No inferiority complex this side. No 'white guilt' here. I take offence by the wording used, irrespective of who used it.

DMMA FAQ (www.thehubsa.co.za is a member of the Digital Media and Marketing Association as proudly displayed on the homepage - button link towards the bottom of the home page) has the following to say:

In terms of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act of 2000, no-one may publish or communicate words based on prohibited grounds (including race, gender, religion, culture or sexual orientation) against a person that might be construed as demonstrating an intention to hurt, incite harm or promote hatred. The act further prohibits “harassment”, which includes “unwanted conduct which is persistent or serious and demeans, humiliates or creates a hostile or intimidating environment” based on any prohibited ground.

I (as many others) construe a word used in post #23 (http://www.thehubsa....16#entry2187556) in this thread,as define here, (post which I reported but which was not removed) as used intentionally to hurt, incite harm and promote hatred. Maybe not me directly but to people of caucasian descend as per My report in this thread, which informed all of my stance, and served as official notification of me reporting it got removed however not the offending post. These racist words (starting with k / n / u / c) has no place in an online, public forum and should be banned in totality irrespective of context.

In addition, the selective moderation of said post and subsequent posts I deem to constitute hate speech as well, as it definitely incite hurt (only one of hurt, harm or hatred need to be present). The selective moderation additionally creates a hostile and intimidating environment as people are allowed to be racially define by slur words.

Bluntly put: neither me, nor "my" people are the scum of the sea!

I am intrigued how you feel the word is offensive. Is it offensive in the real world, or on the interwebs? Why do you find it offensive? I am continually called one, and its not insulting at all, it is rather respectful. But that is the real world.

The two links below provide a different alternative definition to yours, and do not mention a negative connotation.

http://www.thefreedi...ary.com/umlungu

http://dictionary.re...inition/umlungu

On the same google search this popped up (only read the first two pages, then got bored).

Context and associated connotations come into play.

The problem is, there is not a great deal of consistency in moderation. Some moderators just might not like a poster, and then use their own "interpretation" of the rules to delete a post or give a warning, without any means of the offender to object or debate such action. This is grossly unfair and undemocratic as per SA law. The "definitions" used in the rules are also very vague and can be interpreted differently depending how biased a moderator might be.

There was a good example recently where an ex moderator clearly made an inciting/degenerating comment towards a female poster which might have been interpretated negatively personally, and indeed was, but such post was not deleted or any warning given. This is double standards.

as has been said many many many many times before. Stuff gets moderated when it is seen. Either through someone hitting the report button or the mods are part of that thread (and even then stuff might go unnoticed). Wanings suspensions, banning's happen within the team.

I am intrigued how you feel the word is offensive. Is it offensive in the real world, or on the interwebs? Why do you find it offensive? I am continually called one, and its not insulting at all, it is rather respectful. But that is the real world.

The two links below provide a different alternative definition to yours, and do not mention a negative connotation.

On the same google search this popped up (only read the first two pages, then got bored).

Growing up and staying / working in rural Zululand gave me all the context I needed. I know the word for its true meaning, not for the conjuring and deceptive misrepresentations as per the interwebz. It is a slur. full stop. Yes, it is used by the majority of people in the country (because it is their slur against a minority) to refer to another racial group in a derogatory way, however it does not make it less of a slur

That's not his point. The rules state, " or contributions that could be interpreted as such" He has said how he, and apparantly others, felt. No more interpretation or judgement needed by a moderator on behalf of others. Now just be consistent and follow the rules.

As far as the hub rules go nudity is not allowed.

Edit spelling

Carpet I know this is an odd question, and I know what the "hub" definition of nude is, but what is yours? What do you define as nudity ?

That's not his point. The rules state, " or contributions that could be interpreted as such" He has said how he, and apparantly others, felt. No more interpretation or judgement needed by a moderator on behalf of others. Now just be consistent and follow the rules.

how he felt ? how you feel ?

Carpet I know this is an odd question, and I know what the "hub" definition of nude is, but what is yours? What do you define as nudity ?

Just remove it. Just sent you a PM asking you to do it before I saw this post.

The problem is, there is not a great deal of consistency in moderation. Some moderators just might not like a poster, and then use their own "interpretation" of the rules to delete a post or give a warning, without any means of the offender to object or debate such action. This is grossly unfair and undemocratic as per SA law. The "definitions" used in the rules are also very vague and can be interpreted differently depending how biased a moderator might be.

There was a good example recently where an ex moderator clearly made an inciting/degenerating comment towards a female poster which might have been interpretated negatively personally, and indeed was, but such post was not deleted or any warning given. This is double standards.

And many including admin have applied your signature to your interpretation of above events ...

Growing up and staying / working in rural Zululand gave me all the context I needed. I know the word for its true meaning, not for the conjuring and deceptive misrepresentations as per the interwebz. It is a slur. full stop. Yes, it is used by the majority of people in the country (because it is their slur against a minority) to refer to another racial group in a derogatory way, however it does not make it less of a slur

Also working in Zululand, and continuing work in the townships, I have context that says the word is used respectfully.

Edit: - this kind of debate can go round in circles.

Admin, and the rest of the team are well aware of your concerns.