The Hub SA - What has it become, and where is it going?

Caerus

Did you see that Sky doc "Chris Froome, made in Kenya" ?

He jokes how was known in the early days as just the unmentionable by his Kenyan club bros.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, breaking news is that the Jamaican bobsled team has qualified for Sochi Olympics. Seriously.

So I think we should just cheeeel, Winston!

Cool Runnings 'munn'.

Read my post again. Don't think my post, or hear my post, or infer my post, rather read my post.

There is no space for context on internet forums. Simple.

EDIT:

As for my position as a mod, I would draw your attention to the fact that your posts and those of others have been hidden, and are under review from the team.

Cool, hide the posts. I quoted profusely so my posts should be hidden as well. I take offence from the u word, just as much as I take offence to the defence of the use of the word.

In other words, thank you for hiding the whole lot of it :) :thumbup:

Amazing how the definition of offensive words can be removed, however the initially reported message containing such word and the message notifying the thread to the reporting of that gets hidden.

Matt(Admin), please! Help us here. Something is amiss here.

Edited by agteros

'tis the fire season again, I think the hub needs this...

post-7427-0-84416800-1390146391_thumb.jpg

Not really. I reported something, wasn't uncivil, did not troll. Posted my report into the thread. My report got squashed, however the offensive post stays. Sadly it points to horribly, selective moderation at the very least. :ph34r:

I might even get the skin covering my gluteus muscles toasted for my efforts. It is ok, I'll be a martyr if so required of me

So, after a crazy week here on the Hub SA, what with all the suspensions, warnings and all round madness, I have to ask myself what the heck is going on?

Intolerance, fighting, trolling, baiting seems to have become the norm. I will be the first to stand up and be counted and apologise for any wrong doing and bad behaviour. We, as a so called "community",have made the Hub SA not a nice place to hang out as of late. I have made both friends and foes, yet recently I have become somewhat disillusioned by what has been taking place.

Matt(Admin)has given us a fantastic platform to discuss, argue, SHOUT about all things cycling and other more trivial topics, for that, thank you.

But, we need to get things back on track,as I'm sure all would agree? So how do we do go about doing this and make the Hub SA a more pleasant place to be?

Most of the "fights" now days (IMO) originate from the Chit chat non cycling threads, people want to be able to discuss / debate anything but have no idea or interest to have a constructive argument without being insulting or getting personal.

Personaly I think we hubbers have got to familar with each other, by familar i mean with our hub personalities and not in real life. For example i see "so n so" make a post which is "open to debate" and because i have a preconcieved perception of this person based on the last argument... :eek: i react accordingly, same happens if i make a post.... and then it escalates.

How to fix it? Umm difficult...

The easy way is to make the decison to just avoid topics that are heading south, self moderation.

The hub has become like professional soccer where players carry on like a bunch of prima donnas who chirp and shout at the referee, it needs to be more like professional rugby...much more respect.

Stricter and quicker moderation, 3 warnings per year and if you exceed the 3 you're out...for life. Warnings that expire in 30 days and short suspensions are not a deterrent.

I commented before seeing your post further down. Respect.

Sjo brother, everyting cool.....check the vibe....chilled to the bone with some Hub rhythmzzzzzz!........yaaaaa maaaan!

Edited by BarHugger

Lotsa and lotsa people with inferiority complexes. Trying too feel better about themselves by being internet warriors. Trolling, baiting others to 'catch' them with clever wordplay and half insinuations. Trying to ridicule the other. As if that will increase the length of your totti.

Maybe admin should implement a monthly "Tug toner" award that is added to the avatar of multiple offender and not ban him or her. :ph34r:

Lotsa and lotsa people with inferiority complexes. Trying too feel better about themselves by being internet warriors. Trolling, baiting others to 'catch' them with clever wordplay and half insinuations. Trying to ridicule the other. As if that will increase the length of your totti.

Maybe admin should implement a monthly "Tug toner" award that is added to the avatar of multiple offender and not ban him or her. :ph34r:

Crap idea IMO. Naughty boy Avatar.

Feeling omnipotent / invincible / unreachable behind your keyboard / tablet / cellphone? I stand by what I've said. No inferiority complex this side. No 'white guilt' here. I take offence by the wording used, irrespective of who used it.

DMMA FAQ (www.thehubsa.co.za is a member of the Digital Media and Marketing Association as proudly displayed on the homepage - button link towards the bottom of the home page) has the following to say:

In terms of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act of 2000, no-one may publish or communicate words based on prohibited grounds (including race, gender, religion, culture or sexual orientation) against a person that might be construed as demonstrating an intention to hurt, incite harm or promote hatred. The act further prohibits “harassment”, which includes “unwanted conduct which is persistent or serious and demeans, humiliates or creates a hostile or intimidating environment” based on any prohibited ground.

I (as many others) construe a word used in post #23 (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/135307-the-hub-sa-what-has-it-become-and-where-is-it-going/page__st__16#entry2187556) in this thread,as define here, (post which I reported but which was not removed) as used intentionally to hurt, incite harm and promote hatred. Maybe not me directly but to people of caucasian descend as per My report in this thread, which informed all of my stance, and served as official notification of me reporting it got removed however not the offending post. These racist words (starting with k / n / u / c) has no place in an online, public forum and should be banned in totality irrespective of context.

In addition, the selective moderation of said post and subsequent posts I deem to constitute hate speech as well, as it definitely incite hurt (only one of hurt, harm or hatred need to be present). The selective moderation additionally creates a hostile and intimidating environment as people are allowed to be racially define by slur words.

Bluntly put: neither me, nor "my" people are the scum of the sea!

Except Cyclocross. Until we figure out what Cyclocross is we should diss that to our heart's content.

...and triathletes, they're just weird, with their short cycling shorts and sleeveless roadie tops????

Edited by deanbean

...and triathletes, they're just weird, with their short cycling shorts and sleeveless roadie tops????

and witchy-pointy helmets :D