The Hub SA - What has it become, and where is it going?

Caerus

So, after a crazy week here on the Hub SA, what with all the suspensions, warnings and all round madness, I have to ask myself what the heck is going on?

Intolerance, fighting, trolling, baiting seems to have become the norm. I will be the first to stand up and be counted and apologise for any wrong doing and bad behaviour. We, as a so called "community",have made the Hub SA not a nice place to hang out as of late. I have made both friends and foes, yet recently I have become somewhat disillusioned by what has been taking place.

Matt(Admin)has given us a fantastic platform to discuss, argue, SHOUT about all things cycling and other more trivial topics, for that, thank you.

But, we need to get things back on track,as I'm sure all would agree? So how do we do go about doing this and make the Hub SA a more pleasant place to be?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats been going on? I choose not to get involved or read threads that are pointless. Mostly it is a bunch of keyboard warriors with no social life and too much time on their hands.

Thehub is still the same to me with great people and great advice and classifieds. You dont have to get involved or read some of the nonsense people write.

They should all be ashamed of themselves and return back under their bridges. The hub lately should be called the Ring... Everyone comes here to moer one another.

Where's escapee? He's such a great guy and really adds value. He's a man of few words with good points.

Nice post Caerus. It's not just the hub. In general I think people have become less intolerable of others and their opinions, and we seem to be engaging others who differ from us with a more hostile approach. Life itself seems more stressful these days and it's so easy here to express your anger without any real recourse whereas in reality when we do complain at home, work , public very seldomly do we get a favourable response. Whatever opinion I may have on any topic is mine and in no way can I force that on anyone merely have a meaningful discussion without antagonising them and them maybe one of us can walk away with something to ponder about. We can learn from each other.

Edited by Cippo

whats been going on I've been off the hub for a while I haven't been for a ride for nearly 3 weeks owing to week 1 I just couldn't get going week 2 my wife had a baby and now I've gone decommissioned the baby factory.... so coming to the hub makes me feel guilty as for when I go in the garage and my bike see's me ...... well lets not go there but a few more days and I'lll be back in the saddle. so what happened please tell ...............

Cearus

You hit this nail right on the head.

For way to long, it is people taking each other to the cleaners about;

Grammar,

Spelling,

Bike size

Wheel size,

Baggys vs Lycra

Flat pedals vs cleats

Etc etc etc etc

Originally, I joined and started following the hub for the wealth of informatiion, experience, tips and advice from seasoned mechanics and riders.

For way to long, those principles have not been present, and mud slinging and slanting is / was the order of the day.

The problem I see, is that if cyclists cannot stand together as a community, how can we as South Africans stand together as a nation.

Admin, thx for trying to keep the reigns to some extent.

Happy hubbing

Edited by NINER_boy

Its like a stupid soap opera sometimes. I enjoy cycle related debate, ideas and the where has your bike taken you and ideas for a new thread. The hand bag slinging ive learnt not to be bothered with. Sad because the potential for good is here but some spoil it for others. You are all hub family so I suppose one needs to take the good with the bad.

For way to long, it is people taking each other to the cleaners about;

Grammar,

Spelling,

Bike size

Wheel size,

Baggys vs Lycra

Flat pedals vs cleats

You've left off the topics that actually lead to warnings and suspensions.

Off-topic baiting threads = avoid.

Complain complain complain????????????????????????? :cursing:

block what you want to and move on.

why should this forum be built around what you deem correct?

This is 2014 and freedom of speech is the flavour of the century

Go ride your bikes complainers! :whistling:

Edited by feetup

Complain complain complain????????????????????????? :cursing:

The short answer to the thread question, is the forum is what you make it.

For better or worse, there are forum rules, and if they are transgressed, then suffer the consequences. The constant "why was such and such thread closed", or "why was so and so suspended, we will bitch and moan till they come back" or worse still, the "so and so is a double poster and said my mommy is fat" threads are so immature and pointless, it's like I'm spending the day at my mothers day care center. And it's even worse when people derail perfectly decent threads with this BS.

Grow up people.

Edited by Cellar

Maybe the Chitchat section should be closed for a while and have only cycling related posts.

There are people on here who live for the chit chat and do not have a real life...

I don't have a problem with any of the gibes and chirps, they're mostly in good humour (it's better for your health to just assume the other person is having a friendly dig).

The main problem as I see it is when people go completely off topic just to diss another type of rider or riding style or post in a forum they have no interest in just to cause trouble. In other words, if the topic is discussing cleats vs flats then you kind of expect the respective proponents of each pedal option to have a go at each other and you just have to take it as barside banter, really.

However, when the topic is which style of baggies to wear, it's pretty immature if some guys come into your thread and post about baggy riders just being wannabe downhillers who only know how to ride the Spruit on long travel bikes. Likewise if someone is asking which 29er to buy and some twits decide to post about 29ers being lame and 26er full susses are the only real mountain bike.

By all means, argue to your heart's content where it's relevant, it's a hell of a lot more stimulating than singing Kumbaya and passing the muesli around but don't forget that we're all united by a common love for a sport.

Except Cyclocross. Until we figure out what Cyclocross is we should diss that to our heart's content.

Edited by Rata Del Spruit