[Event] GP Koning Roller Coaster League & Funride 2014

cronje.fourie

Agree the marshalls were shockingly bad - less noticeable during the race, but went for a ride after to witness marshalls either doing nothing at all or talking **** on cellphones, utterly oblivious to roadgoing traffic, while motorists and cyclists alike tried to find their way around each other at intersections.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hope no one got seriously harmed due to the negligence of the organiser and staff.

Edited by ' Dale

Email I have just sent to PPA - guys you need to send your emails to PPABegin forwarded message:

"From: Peter <icycling1@gmail.com>

Date: 02 February 2014 2:52:03 PM SAST

To: Karin Pohl <karin@pedalpower.org.za>, Stephen Hayward <Stephen.Hayward@capetown.gov.za>

Subject: Roller Coaster league & Funride - Marshal and traffic officers!

Hi,

Today was the fist time in a long time I was in my team cars at a funride (SA TT champs this Wednesday need recovery time) - what I saw today was complete disregard for, at least, the 1st groups safety! A number of intersections including traffic light not controlled while some were "controlled" but the marshal had ZERO idea as to what they were supposed to do. A few had traffic cops were walking to their points as the front group went through the intersection! I don't think this will be the only email raising concerns over the Long route road marshaling but however many emails you get its probably still not enough - (at least) the front groups of (racing) cyclist lives were put at major risk.

I would like to know what the result / consequence is to the Traffic officer - organizer informed me at the end of the race he paid R28 000.00 for Traffic officers. But the organizer also had his own marshals which were to seem to be completely untrained!

I am sure Zaakier (Driver for commissair) will agree with the above - I can go into detail as to which intersection / traffic light were problematic but from the traffic lights turning onto Kommetjie road probably more than 50% of the point from their on were not controlled properly!

Regards

Peter Wheeler"

So, so glad I decided beforehand not to do this race. Hearing all the negatives vindicates my decision.

But my next concern is, seeing that the Bay City Funride follows basicaly the same route, are we not going to encounter the same problems?

Previous years had the route in a clockwise direction, with OKW the last climb. I quite enjoyed it that way round, at least the Fsh Hoek / Simonstown area was dispatched with first, with little to no of the impatient motorist around early in the morning.

I really do hope the Bay City Marshalls will be more up to standard.

So, so glad I decided beforehand not to do this race. Hearing all the negatives vindicates my decision.

But my next concern is, seeing that the Bay City Funride follows basicaly the same route, are we not going to encounter the same problems?

Previous years had the route in a clockwise direction, with OKW the last climb. I quite enjoyed it that way round, at least the Fsh Hoek / Simonstown area was dispatched with first, with little to no of the impatient motorist around early in the morning.

I really do hope the Bay City Marshalls will be more up to standard.

Spoke to one of the marshals at journey for sight . All riders have to be off OKW before 9am , hence why we can't do the old route anymore.

I rode the 49 with my fiancee, her first "fun" ride. I though it would be good to ride within a controlled traffic environment. We did it very slowly and finished at about 11:15, so prob only represent 10% of the field, maybe less.

Website cut-off says 12:00 but approaching the False Bay Rugby Club we had to pass through three set of traffic lights, none of which had any presence of traffic control. The final lights we dismounted and crossed on foot. Surely if you state that cut off is 12:00 and every one pays the same fee, all riders need to be provided with the same level of safety?

Then having Coca-Cola only allow every rider 120 ml was the cherry on the top.

All this for R135. Definitely wont be doing it next year. :thumbdown:

Mailed the Bay City Orgs with the concerns that the same problems might arise with their race. Gives them a few weeks time to address these.

Glad I decided not to do this, I had the same gripe with the marshals on the journey for sight. Not paying attention at the traffic light 5m from the finish I was told to turn left. I never question the marshals, but its about time they stop realizing its not a social event to catch up! peoples lives are in there hands. When I took this up with PPA I was told "its a pity" and that nothing could be done. I was told to express with my concern with some other person (cant remember). can go back on email if I need.

Still upset about it losing 10min on your time due to a marshal not paying attention.

Normally everyone bitched like homo's about the goodie bag they never got or wasn't up to their standard, then is turned out everyone races for a medal which again, was never up to par, now it seems that has changed to 2 cups of coke.

Safety I agree is 1 thing and the most important but really Hubbers get a life about the others please. Its a cup of coke not Lance Armstrongs old medical supplies.

I always look forward to fun rides that traverse the peninsula....not only for the parts that form the Argus route but also for the amazing scenery.

However, today I was ashamed to be one of those cyclists on the road in this "organised" event. Some of the reasons being:

1. I actually witnessed the cyclist being hit by the taxi at the Sun Valley intersection. His bike appeared to be a total right-off and while he was alive lying on the centre island, he would probably end his day in hospital..That being said, it appeared as though the only marshal at this intersection was some civilian with a red flag. I do really hope and pray that he makes a speedy recovery.

2. The general quality of marshaling left a lot to be desired with many of those tasked with the control of intersections having very little "road use" experience other than perhaps being pedestrians. The traffic department officials that were on duty also appeared in some cases to not have been correctly allocated to the more dangerous intersections.

3. Cyclists are also to blame for not using common sense and approaching dangerous areas with caution. Surely, taking things a little slower in certain areas but guaranteeing themselves making it to the end of the "fun-ride" in one piece is the most important thing. Yes, ones time is important BUT ones life is even more-so !!!

4. The general trend these days with almost everything being open on Sundays is for more people to be on the road with their vehicles and this only makes it more dangerous for cyclists. The ride started way too late in my opinion. I was in K group and we only left the start at around 7:12am. If the various Cat/league groups need to be started with large time gaps between them, then let them start earlier !!! Its summer, those people could have been sent of as early as 6am.

5. As far as the coke thing, I actualy understand that 1 coke is 1 coke and dont have a problem with this....what I do have a problem with is the size of that 1 coke.

Due to all the problems both stated by myself as well as others, I really do hope that this doesnt result in the fun-rides in the Southern Suburbs being prevented from taking place in the future.

I come back to another point that has been raised here about the traffic services costing the organisers R 28,000.00. I feel that traffic services should be a community service in the interest of public safety and its perhaps time that PPA really put pressure on the mayors office to get them to understand that policing a route with thousands of cyclists is better for the community than the "we will only allocated as many officers as we have been paid for" attitude.

In summary, I have found that this event lacked proper organisation, was expensive, was dangerous and I dont see myself entering it again.

Normally everyone bitched like homo's

Nice one. What do the 'homo's' bitch like exactly?

I'm guessing it's more of a general feeling of being p*ssed off and that being the cherry on the top.

Journey 4 Site was pretty good I thought and didn't seem to have this amount of issues.

Edited by hellocolour

This feedback is really sad - living in the cape peninsula I've missed the simple luxury of getting up a bit later and actually riding to the start of a race in lieu of getting up at witching hour for a bleary-eyed hour's drive to a race.

This morning I witnessed first-hand an accident involving a pair of riders who came a-cropper at the intersection of boyes and the road that runs past the westlake golf course. Confused about whether to continue straight or left, the marshall (standing on the island at the intersection, well out of earshot of descending riders) waved his flag to the point of ambiguity where they both lost control of their bikes and went cartwheeling into the island at the intersection. What was more disturbing was that the marshall saw this happen and just carried on waving his flag in some sort of erratic semaphore as if leaving his post would, ironically, cause further catastrophe. I ran up to find the one fellow had landed fairly squarely on his shoulder and managed to raise the ambulance for assistance. I saw him again at the finish bandaged up, I trust he'll be ok.

My two cents is that these flag-waving fellows should be just before an intersection and not on it. There is simply not enough time for riders to change direction once we are within hearing range.

Post edit: If you guys are all going to send hate mail to the PPA this race is going to go the way of the dodo. I appeal to anyone interfacing with the PPA to please be responsible and send constructive criticism (Peter, I know you've raised some good points already) so that this event can be safe and fun again like it once was. We need these southern rides, guys!

Edited by nuge

one of the back guys got hit by a taxi going through a robot cause the marshal wasn't paying attention.

hope he's alright

From behind :thumbdown:

Gees, reading these after a few hours from my safety post, and:

A) i hope the races are not stopped again because the route is amazing, and i really hope Bay City shows how it can be done. It can start earlier. And there was a long gap between the Cat racers, as far as i could tell. I don't take part for place, so i have no idea of the benefits of racing on a tight course,but maybe we need to save the racing cats for the Winelands races so that we can all start earlier.

B) i hope all the crashes weren't too serious and everyone is ok

C) i just went straight passed the finish and didn't get a coke, medal, or any other drawer fillers , and it didn't ruin my day. It's just a Coke, guys.

I concur with the sentiments re. safety and marshalling this morning. It doesn't have to be like this though. Several other races along more or less the same route have proved that. Journey For Sight, just a few weeks ago, is one.