cape argus mtb

leona

​so I'd originally planned to do this but haven't heard anything much positive about the route so far. Had decided against it til i read the latest ride magazine. for anyone who hasn't seen it: "the 13th annual cape argus pick n pay mtb challenge will be bigger, better and a whole lot more singletracky. this is probably the biggest one day mtb event in sa and for 2014 it has a new home on le bonheur wine estate in stellenbosch. riders will be able to test their skills on brand new, never ridden before routes developed by well known mtb trail developer meurant botha."

​anyone got any insider knowledge on what its going to be like? i live in stellenbosch but i wouldn't claim to know any secrets!

no insider info, but I will concur with what you have heard, it was the worst mtb race I have ever done in Cape Town.

New one sounds better already.

just noticed the website address in the article..

www.mtbchallenge.co.za

don't know any of the farms listed on it apart from delheim but none of the riding round here is exactly bad so i guess its worth entering.

my only concern i guess that that masses and masses of people do it. might not be that much fun then.

Cycle the Delvera routes, jump over the R44 and peddle the route over Delheim, Muratie and Knorhoek- done, so save yourself R220 entry and the absolute mayhem of trying to find parking anywhere close to le bonheur on the Sunday.

Worst race on the calendar. Last year it was like herding cattle around a block of vineyards-accidents waiting on every corner. Some folks enjoy the big crowds with the facebook "like". Noobs on their new bikes treating he first 20 as a sprint,and walking on the hills. with lycra creeping up the wrong end.It's like month-end shopping at the mall

last year's 65km (suppose to be 75km) was my first MTB challenge. I have the wrong bike for those types of races so it was tough, but I enjoyed the challenge. I had two pinch flats, one resulting in a crash (got tubeless now) and the last 10km was really tough. I finished like 10th last and will gladly do it again. 55km for seems short for all the effort

more singletrack more standing and waiting - been there done that wont do it again, even if it is on other farms. If you ride singletrack that day you are lucky. 2 years ago it was almost a 20 min wait to get into the singletrack

This is a new route and will be a lot better than the old route. Done this 2 times and enjoyed it, never got held up. It`s fun to pass 30 mtbroadies on 50m of downhill.