The Non Helpers Club.

Vetseun

Guest Latent Blue

you know it.

If you keep it up you wlll have to get a watch that can integrate that strava widget! :clap:

(now that will sell!)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Latent Blue

Not sure what you expected the roadies to do, they won't have a tube for your MTB and couldn't do anything about a sidewall cut. You got to be self supporting dude, one bomb isn't going to cut it, you got to carry the essential kit. A little jog home probably wouldn't have killed you either. But I agree it was a bit rude of them not to ask if you were ok, then you could at least have advised them that it was your own fault for being ill prepared on your ride and waved them on their way.

Cant you see this thread has derailed?

Now you come here with all your sensible arguments and what not! with you next transgression I will have to report you to Matt!

Not sure what you expected the roadies to do, they won't have a tube for your MTB and couldn't do anything about a sidewall cut. You got to be self supporting dude, one bomb isn't going to cut it, you got to carry the essential kit. A little jog home probably wouldn't have killed you either. But I agree it was a bit rude of them not to ask if you were ok, then you could at least have advised them that it was your own fault for being ill prepared on your ride and waved them on their way.

Wow thanks for the advice. I fully realise that they couldnt assist me. A simple hi, are you ok would have been more than fine. It is not about the repair it is about common cyclist to cyclist good manners

Edited by Vetseun

Sorry to hear that you got a side wall injury, it sucks when no one greets and doesn't even ask if you need help, I hope they get plenty of punctures and do a lot of walking.

Interesting topic

Been cycling too long and over the decades had enough breakdowns, to know things can go wrong.

I carry tons of mtb **** on me in case of bad luck, and I have needed it at times.

If you don't, and in my opinion looks like someone who should know better.......tsk..tsk...enjoy the walk

I Always carry

Bombs + Bomb adapter/valve

Tyre gaiter

1 tyre lever

Tube (ride tubeless - but bad side wall cut etc.- backup)

Patches

Plugs (and tool)

Valve core spanner

Spare tubeless valve

Presta Schrader conversion adapter

Pump

Quick chain link

Tool (with chain breaker)

Derailleur hanger

Smallish Leatherman

Cable ties

Money

Cell phone

ICE numbers

(and on tours, I carry even more, example some Stan's)

(even carry most of these essentials on road bike as well)

All this, and then the water, GU, energy bar etc etc makes me heavier and slower. You want the benefit of no extra weight - then take the consequences. No, I am not racing to win (but neither are you)

I am out there to ride hard, get fit and enjoy myself.

When I am alone on my LSD ride - sure,

I have done more single speed conversions for people with broken derailleurs than I can remember

I have fixed punctures for too many people who don't have a pump, a tyre lever, or even know how to fix a puncture.

I have fixed many broken chains for riders- and the chains were always disgusting black grease blobs

I have straightened wheel, tightened spokes, re-set brake calipers for buckled wheels.

I have cut wire bits out of farmer fences to secure or tie various parts back on - from hydraulic brake blocks with no retainer pin to suspension joint broken-bolt replacements.

If you are female - I always stop. (except in a race if you pissed me off - Jacky Martin (sure not many here are old enough to remember her) once asked for my wheel cause she had a puncture - sorry Jacky, maybe if you behaved better in the bunch earlier) I once helped Ashley M-P and will stop in a second for Ariaan K. but those days are gone, I am so old, fat and far being now, that I am lucky if I even see them at the end.

If you are a youngster - I always stop (I mean like something under 15)

Of course I am not aiming this at the OP, just saying if you are old enough to ride you should know that **** happens - and you can't always expect someone else to look after you - and be VERY grateful when you do. Example fixed a guys chain (a Langenhooven nogal) for him, and a week later he called me to come to the farm and collect a case of wine !

So, next time you breakdown - start thinking what (a case of bear perhaps) you are prepared to exchange for avoiding that long walk home.

+100 (as above)

Also small can of WD40

Duct tape

Very small first aid kit (alcohol swabs, plasters, 2x bandages, superglue)

Edited by BarHugger

Guest Latent Blue

Wow thanks for the advice. I fully realise that they couldnt assist me. A simple hi, are you ok would have been more than fine. It is not about the repair it is about common cyclist to cyclist good manners

I would have helped you... well, i wouldnt really know what to do with a torn sidewall, but i would have kept you company anyways... :thumbup:

Edit: Want eks n *** nice ou!

Edited by Latent Blue

I would have helped you... well, i wouldnt really know what to do with a torn sidewall, but i would have kept you company anyways... :thumbup:

Edit: Want eks n *** nice ou!

Yeah when I come across someone on the side of the trail and they don't look like they're just catching their breathe, and I ask "You Ok" - i always think, yeah right Uni, if they say no what exactly do you know how to do, other than emptying out my pak and saying here - what do you need?

Fortunately last time out riding where we came across ppl that needed help I was with someone who knew what he was doing so I could just stand back and hold his bike :blush:

I seriously hope that if I have a mechanical and am on my ace that someone will help. I have only had one issue cut sidewall and hubby was there to help this was 2 yrs ago. But I reckon if I had issues I might not be able to fix it even if I have everything to do it, cause I haven't had any practice fixing anything. Can only hope maybe for good cell reception and ask the ever knowing Google how to fix the problem.

Edited by Gen

Karma...as in henrico. Ag hy speel true love in slaapstad.... :ph34r:

But seriously....I have a backup for my backup for my backup plan. I walk to closest bar if else fails.

Karma owes me

Hoe nou?

Hoe nou?

H hoe lyk dinge my ou.....long time. Dog jy lewe net van kaapse wyn en liefde

Ouens reken jy gaan my punctures gee....was ook bietjie verward

I ALWAYS stop for female riders in distress that have their tops zipped down juuust that extra liitle bit.... :whistling: :ph34r:

It's a bad habit but I just can't kick it!!

• 4 months later...
Guest silver de lange

Vets.....die blinde sambok gaan eendag vir daai ouens uitgehaal word. Hope you are in the vicinity to witness it when it happens. Eish, and here on the Hub we promote camaraderie and sportmanship among cyclist. Not cool!!!!!!

Regtig camaderie jy maak seker n grap. Hier op die hub deur jou. Eish. Sportmanskap deur jou. Groot grappie.

Regtig camaderie jy maak seker n grap. Hier op die hub deur jou. Eish. Sportmanskap deur jou. Groot grappie.

Silwer! Haai... We thort we had lost u :D