The Classics

T-Bob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky's been very interested in upping their results in the Classics after favouring Geraint Thomas and EBH to get some results.

This move has been rumoured . Gonna be intriguing.

You'd imagine that there has to be some serious credibility to it for twiggy to come out and claim it. Esp the mess of last year and strong statements about the giro.

I'd imagine that a power classic like Roubaix would suit him well. Don't forget he's got a hell of an engine and if he can make the moves there is enough power in there to ride a lot of pack off. You just don't see that side as he's been GC / stage focused for a while and Sky wouldn't have him attacking on the flats in the tour.

Last year's classics were an expensive failure for Sky and largely ignored most media, they'll have to turn that around this year.

Edited by hellocolour

You'd imagine that there has to be some serious credibility to it for twiggy to come out and claim it. Esp the mess of last year and strong statements about the giro.

I'd imagine that a power classic like Roubaix would suit him well. Don't forget he's got a hell of an engine and if he can make the moves there is enough power in there to ride a lot of pack off. You just don't see that side as he's been GC / stage focused for a while and Sky wouldn't have him attacking on the flats in the tour.

Last year's classics were an expensive failure for Sky and largely ignored most media, they'll have to turn that around this year.

Ja, look, I reckon Sky's gotta manage their stars well.

Porte for Giro

? for Vuelta

Froome Dawg for Yellow

So, 'allocating' Wiggo to the Classics is a good move.

Apparently, he's been wanting to tick another performance box, next to track & le Tour.

Agreed he probably has the engine, but does he have the toughness for a race like this and the skills on the cobbles? It's an artform, especially on the rougher stuff. There is also his lack of knowledge and experience in the race, Sky can obviously put together a plan for the day, but not a lot usually goes to plan out there. Can actually see him hugging Fabians wheel for as long as humanly possible...

1. Milan - San Remo - 23 March

2. Ghent - Wevelgem - 30 March

3. Tour of Flanders - 06 April

4. Paris-Roubaix - 13 April

5. Amstel Gold Race - 20 April

6. La Flèche Wallonne - 23 April

7. Liège-Bastogne-Liège - 27 April

I expect to see Stybar on the top of the podium at either 3 or 4 above.

A good shout, crikey he was good last year for his first time in the race... I guess being a multiple cyclo-cross world champ ticks a lot of the same boxes as Roubaix and Flanders. Still fancy Boonen and Fabian though - hopefully they all get to that week in peak form :clap:

If we were having a classics tipping comp I'd be picking Stybar and Van Avermaet. Probablly wouldn't be picking twiggy though.

If it rains and is a 'classic' Roubaix, wonder if they'll let Stybar wear his world champ hoops.

Edited by hellocolour

Its still early but I'll stick my neck out and go Sagan for MSR. I won't be surprised if we see Stybar pick up a victory in the Classics.

Anyone know of any tipping comps that cover the spring classics? I've been looking about but best I can find was VeloGames or one by Wiggle. Would be good to try to get some creed back from the mauling my TdF choices weaklings gave me.

Oh yaaahhh

Apparently, he has been base miling it big time in time for the Classics.

1. Milan - San Remo - 23 March

2. Ghent - Wevelgem - 30 March

3. Tour of Flanders - 06 April

4. Paris-Roubaix - 13 April

5. Amstel Gold Race - 20 April

6. La Flèche Wallonne - 23 April

7. Liège-Bastogne-Liège - 27 April

Thanks

Updated my calender.

Oh yaaahhh

Apparently, he has been base miling it big time in time for the Classics.

Mixed with some CX intervals for variety :ph34r:

Mixed with some CX intervals for variety :ph34r:

Just a few to earn rainbow glory against Nys...