First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Is there a scoping document for the EMP that is being drawn up?

Hey Slow, the 2013 version is a revision of the 2002 approved doc. This new version will incorporate updated terminology, requirements and specifications lacking the the old.. There will be public comment period on the '02 version for consensus that we are basing the new on the old.

The meeting today yielded good results with timeframes and we have a clear direction in terms of process. I'm not calling for lifting anchors just yet, but make sure you are aboard!

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to also add that Parks have received the first draft compiled by the forum (Dec), given a brief report to the consultants and used big words for many things, (Jan), and so far all happy with process and possible timeframe (Feb).

Guest OldFlow

Is there a scoping document for the EMP that is being drawn up?

A draft EMP has been professionally drawn up and paid for by the Table Mountain Mountain Bike Forum and submitted to SANParks for review. First feedback has been received but it will most likely still take some time before it is thrashed into its final, tabled version.

For anyone not aware of it, this forum was established in late 2012, in order to represent a single, all encompassing body which would serve as the official interface between MTB'ers and SANParks.

It comprises:

1. AMARider

2. TokaiMTB (an affiliate chapter of AMARider)

3. The PPA MTB Committee

4. Table Mountain Bikers

Provision is also made via the forum for individuals who may not be, or may not want to be affiliated with any of the above bodies, to have a say in mountain biking in the Peninsula Mountain Chain too.

Edited by OldFlow

A draft EMP has been professionally drawn up and paid for by the Table Mountain Mountain Bike Forum and submitted to SANParks for review. First feedback has been received but it will most likely still take some time before it is thrashed into its final, tabled version.

For anyone not aware of it, this forum was established in late 2012, in order to represent a single, all encompassing body which would serve as the official interface between MTB'ers and SANParks.

It comprises:

1. AMARider

2. TokaiMTB (an affiliate chapter of AMARider)

3. The PPA MTB Committee

4. Table Mountain Bikers

Provision is also made via the forum for individuals who may not, or may not want to be affiliated with any of the above bodies, to have a say in mountain biking in the Peninsula Mountain Chain too.

Can you name the professional company?

Also does the EMP not have a scoping document (terms of reference)? Maybe I misunderstand things, but does an EMP, not require some form of EIA?

Also does the EMP not have a scoping document (terms of reference)? Maybe I misunderstand things, but does an EMP, not require some form of EIA?

Can't remember the name of the company offhand (gastro brain) but the EIA is effectively the rationalisation, which is being done at the moment, afaik

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

CNDV Africa.. no, not to my knowledge as we have a base document which covers the scope. I can check??

Yes and no Mayhem. The EIA is not required as this will cover an activity for all of TMNP land, (the PMC is a separate doc and has no bearing in this process - for the peninsula route, yes). An EIA will only be required based on projects requiring ground disturbance of xxsqm or more.. I can confirm that number, but the Rinkhals trail in Tokai has triggered one.

Myles, the rationalisation is Tokai specific as it is a changing landscape carrying a conservation mandate..

Guest OldFlow

http://www.cndv.co.za/

@

• marko35s
  • Capricorn
  • DJR
  • Pappa Bear
  • Pain or Shine
  • Myles M
  • And anyone else who I've left out or wants to join but lets make it less than 20.

Let's get together on Wednesday night at Jakes. Say 7pm? Johno, Vince, Richard and I will be there. Let's get together over a beers and talk. There's more common ground between us than you might think. Let's clear the air and find that common ground. This back & forth on an internet forum achieves very little.

We don't want to look like tools in front of Sanparks.

We ACTUALLY all want exactly the same thing

There is no hidden agenda

I know that most of you are volunteer builders and speaking from experience it's heart breaking when someone pisses on your efforts so I can fully sympathize with your emotions. I've been on that side of the fence myself. And those feelings do need addressing.

Rika you come too.

Thanks can't make it have an Aikido class from 6-8....

I llike what is starting to happen and believe we are starting to move in the right direction.

Thanks can't make it have an Aikido class from 6-8....

I llike what is starting to happen and believe we are starting to move in the right direction.

Agreed.

Was keen to meet you... next time.

Guest OldFlow

If deemed necessary SANParks will inform the forum of the need to conduct an EIA in terms of the NEMA regulations of the proposal

For ease of reference:

http://www.google.co...GnKO17A2z3MmEaw

Edited by OldFlow

If deemed necessary SANParks will inform the forum of the need to conduct an EIA in terms of the NEMA regulations of the proposal

For ease of reference:

http://www.google.co...GnKO17A2z3MmEaw

NEMA lists a set of activities which trigger either a full EIA or a slightly less onerous requirement of a Basic Assessment. One of the trigger activities (particularly in a proclaimed nature reserve) is the excavation or movement of 5m3 of soil, which is not much. The EMP is a long term plan to manage the impacts of certain activities on a particular area. From my understanding, it does not have to be linked to an EIA. It should be noted that an EMP should be a living document, and not a set of rules set in stone for all eternity. It should be flexible (to a certain extent) to accommodate changing cicumstances.

Having said all of that, I really believe that SANPARKS need to look at how this EMP is applied, because I doubt whether the loggers abided by any EMP.

Guest OldFlow

NEMA lists a set of activities which trigger either a full EIA or a slightly less onerous requirement of a Basic Assessment. One of the trigger activities (particularly in a proclaimed nature reserve) is the excavation or movement of 5m3 of soil, which is not much. The EMP is a long term plan to manage the impacts of certain activities on a particular area. From my understanding, it does not have to be linked to an EIA. It should be noted that an EMP should be a living document, and not a set of rules set in stone for all eternity. It should be flexible (to a certain extent) to accommodate changing cicumstances.

Having said all of that, I really believe that SANPARKS need to look at how this EMP is applied, because I doubt whether the loggers abided by any EMP.

Good insight_Lone Ranger! It is mentioned...

"Under this agreement The Forum commits to regularly revise and update this EMP with described goals, objectives and strategies to guide the management of mountain biking on designated trails"

Edited by OldFlow

..review every 6 years and thanks for the info, there's that hub knowledge!

Logging essentially owns the land until the lease is over. They do have requirements but really, like they are going stick to the agreement and Cape Pine is bleeding money logging in the WC. This exit lease is them cutting their losses, literally.

Btw, biodiversity also has a set of eia triggers that we will possibly be held to. So far we have the blessing of SANBI, we should focus on keeping a good relationship.

Edited by Pain or shine

pretty sure that it's 5m3 of soil/earth from a wetland/water course. bizarre as it sounds, there are probably a few gullies at tokai considered watercourses that could trigger this(even if they've never seen water in living memory).

pretty sure that it's 5m3 of soil/earth from a wetland/water course. bizarre as it sounds, there are probably a few gullies at tokai considered watercourses that could trigger this(even if they've never seen water in living memory).

The definition of watercourse is so broad, even a puddle on the road could be defined as a watercourse.

Hi Lone Ranger

Your background knowledge of the ACRONYM process is extremely valuable, I think you should consider giving personal input as well. :thumbup: