Fox fork - stancion scratches

martinsnyman

I noticed that my fox fork is very oily after a ride on the one stancion, on closer inspection I found that the stancion is sccratced and the protctive coating is coming off - what to do?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, that is going to be an expensive fix. Take it to your local shop/suspension guy, but the stanchion scratches probably means new stanchions/crown/steerer assembly needed (which is gonna be > R2500).

Probably best to start looking for a replacement fork, or just to top it up with oil, and ride it until is breaks (and catastrophic failure is unlikely).

Unfortunately, that is going to be an expensive fix. Take it to your local shop/suspension guy, but the stanchion scratches probably means new stanchions/crown/steerer assembly needed (which is gonna be > R2500).

Probably best to start looking for a replacement fork, or just to top it up with oil, and ride it until is breaks (and catastrophic failure is unlikely).

Thank you - what would be the cause of this? Fork is not even a year old

Foxes are famous for this. they need lots of servicing inf you ride offroad. The oil seals harden and cause the wear.

Thank you - what would be the cause of this? Fork is not even a year old

Could be caused by lack of maintenance and harsh conditions or it could be a warranty claim issue arising from a bushing problem

Post some pics. Get your LBS / Fox agent to comment.

Note the Fox Service intervals: you need to inspect and clean the dust wipers every 25hrs.

FOX Racing Shox forks feature a sealing system designed to keep your fork moving smoothly in all conditions. There are two parts to the system: the fork seal and the foam ring. The fork seal features a proprietary scraper lip geometry that keeps dirt out and oil in. The foam ring sits just below the fork seal. It is saturated with oil and in turn applies oil to the upper tube as it passes by. This keeps the fork moving up and down smoothly.

While FOX Racing Shox forks are designed to require minimal maintenance, periodic inspection and cleaning of the fork sealing system is required. It is normal on FOX forks for a small amount of oil and/or grease to accumulate on the upper tubes. This is necessary to keep the fork working smoothly and to keep dirt out. Furthermore, fork seals are grease packed at the factory. This grease tends to migrate out of the seals during the break-in period.

Seal and Foam Ring Service

Storing the bicycle upside down and inverting the fork allows oil to run down to the foam rings and keeps them lubricated and ready for your next ride. To check the conditions of the seal and foam rings, perform the following procedure:

Wrap tape around the tip of the screwdriver to protect the upper tubes.

• Around the perimeter of the fork seals are small notches. Use a thin flat-blade screwdriver in these slots to gently pry the seal from the lower legs.

• Once loose, raise them all the way up to the lower crown. It is recommended that the tip of the screwdriver be covered with tape or a piece of material to protect the paint on the fork from being damaged.

• Wrap a clean rag around the junction of the upper tubes and the lower legs. This will keep dirt out while the seals are being cleaned.

• Use a rag to wipe around the outside diameter of the seal. Wipe until clean.

• Remove the rags and check the foam rings which will be visible just inside the lower legs. They should be soaked with oil and should not contain any dirt or debris. If the foam rings are dry, use a few cc’s of Fox Suspension Fluid to saturate them.

• Wipe the upper tubes and slide the seals down into the lower legs. Carefully press the seals back into place. A thin flat-blade screwdriver can be used to press in between the upper tube and the fork brace. It is recommended that the blade of the screwdriver be covered with tape or a rag to prevent damage to the seal.

• Inspect to make sure the seal is firmly seated against top surface of the lower leg.

• Wipe off any excess oil and cycle the fork a few times to check for proper operation.

I never did this and have the same **** as many many others. every 25hrs damn that every 1 to 2 weeks.

No one ever does because no one ever tells you to. I have also never received a manual with any bike I have purchased re the servicing and self maintenance issues.

Conspiracy theory, bike shops don't want to tell you you can do it yourself so they hide the manuals from you. :devil:

Oeps best option to go for a new/replacement fork. Should you again fit Fox, do yourself a favour and replace the standard fox seals with Enduro.

post-41157-0-95520000-1391959870_thumb.gif

Oeps best option to go for a new/replacement fork. Should you again fit Fox, do yourself a favour and replace the standard fox seals with Enduro.

Thanks - would it be worth having the fork serviced and then replacing th seals with these ones? Where can I get these seals?

Thankx

Thanks - would it be worth having the fork serviced and then replacing th seals with these ones? Where can I get these seals?

Thankx

It might help a bit, but unfortunately the damage is already done. The oil is constantly gonna seep from those scratches.

What he's saying is if (when) you replace your fork, change the stock seals for enduro ones.

Ride it till it breaks!

Have seen many similarly worn forks like yours go on for a yr or 2 or even more, might marginally affect stiction but you probably won't even notice it. A service now and good maintenance here forward won't hurt either.

Those stanchions are toast I'm afraid... so you have two options. First, replace them - pricey, but still a whole lot less than a new fork. Second - learn to do your own low level maintenance. Those seals are trashed by now too, and replacing them with Enduro at this stage isn't going to help much - you've worn grooves into the tube that'll let dirt in no matter what you do. Go to your local motorbike shop, pick up a bottle of Bel-Ray 10wt fork oil and get the instructions from the Fox website for lowers maintenance. Do this every 30 hours of riding until the fork falls apart, then do the stanchion replacement or get a new fork.

And keep up with routine maintenance on the new one.

If you need help, drop me a mail through the link in my signature and I'll help you out as best I can.

@dick - that procedure you've got there does very little to stop stanchion wear - it doesn't address the main problems, - dirt buildup under the wiper seal and contamination of the oil in the lowers. It is quite useful for checking the condition of the stanchions though, since most of the damage happens where it can't be seen. The advice about storing the bike upside down is good though, but if you're going to do the maintenance thing do the full lowers oil change.