Sram crank removal (BB30)

dalem44

Can anyone explain to me how to remove the Sram X7/X9 BB30 crank from the frame?

From what I understand, the non-drive side arm needs to be removed first but I have no idea how. The 10mm Allen key slot has a warning that states "Do not remove" and I am also not sure which way the nut should turn?

Can anyone give me a guide on removing it as well as if special tools are needed.

thanks

It is self extracting.

Leave the 10mm hex cap alone. Use an 8mm allen key to undo the bolt beneath the cap (normal thread, so anti-clockwise to undo).

Keep undoing it until the bolt starts pushing on the cap. You will feel it becoming harder to turn, but keep at it. This pushes the crank arm off the spindle. It will suddenly become easy to turn and the crank arm will pop off.

Got it... Thanks Gents.

Just to recap if others have the same problem.

10mm Allen Key used on the drive side and turned in an anti-clockwise direction.

It was very difficult to turn at first but got easier. It was a self extracting.

Just for reference the 3 bolts that hold on the spider are T25 Torx bolts

watch from 2:50 and you'll see what I'm talking about

I searched Youtube for about an hour and couldnt find that.

I searched Youtube for about an hour and couldnt find that.

I searched for 5sec with "sram crank removal" :lol:

Glad you came right!

I have SRAM Descendants on one of my bikes and due to the long intervals between removing them, I sometimes forget that they are self extracting. I usually remember just before the workshop hammer comes out :ph34r: :lol:

It is self extracting.

Leave the 10mm hex cap alone. Use an 8mm allen key to undo the bolt beneath the cap (normal thread, so anti-clockwise to undo).

Keep undoing it until the bolt starts pushing on the cap. You will feel it becoming harder to turn, but keep at it. This pushes the crank arm off the spindle. It will suddenly become easy to turn and the crank arm will pop off.

This.

The 10mm is a self extractor cap, and also a left hand thread, and should be left alone. The 8mm is the crank bolt and loosens the normal way, ie. anticlockwise.

I'm still not sure I follow...

I've been able to remove the drive side by usingthe 8mm (or 10mm, couldn't remember) allan key. But then I can't figure out how to do the other side? Almost seems like I should push the BB from the drive side til it pops out the other side?

I don't have the external BB on my bike, so looks a bit different than from what I saw in the the video...

Edited by BlinkFan

The OP is talking about a Sram BB30 crank which requires a 10mm allen key to loosen the drive side. For a Sram GXP crank you will use a 8mm allen key and loosen the non drive side.

BB30 cranks are crap. I had to do more maintenance on the bb30 than with the hollowtech 2 setup.

Why are they crap and what maintenance did you have to do to them?

There is only 2 bearings, they are either stuffed and need replacement or you clean it out and re-oil..