Dear Joggers

D Vader

Who's your Jogger?

A Jogger is another name for the type of polly shorts used in the 70's.

WE ARE RUNNERS.

Oh yes AND we are CYCLISTS

and now and then we are MOTORISTS

Mutual respect and tolerance for one another will make our roads far safer.

Erm, we're actually all people, at the end of the day. No use perpetuating the compartmentalization. It just makes the other "side" all the more angry.

Rather say you encountered a tjop who was running. Not all runners are tjops, just like all tjops are not runners. It's the person, not the discipline. And you'll probably find that the person who won't move over for you while he / she is running / cycling / whatever is the same person who will skip a stop street or red light, and not let someone into the flow of traffic when it's easy to do so.

Tjoppery all over.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, we're actually all people, at the end of the day. No use perpetuating the compartmentalization. It just makes the other "side" all the more angry.

Rather say you encountered a tjop who was running. Not all runners are tjops, just like all tjops are not runners. It's the person, not the discipline. And you'll probably find that the person who won't move over for you while he / she is running / cycling / whatever is the same person who will skip a stop street or red light, and not let someone into the flow of traffic when it's easy to do so.

Tjoppery all over.

Well said!

I hope this sums things up....

1) Wrong forum

2) Look ahead to where you're riding to...then you will be able to identify potential hazards/obstructions in ample time and make calm adjustments to your path of travel

3) Your bike has brakes...they are not just for style points...use them

4) If you klap a pedestrian/runner, you will probably get more hurt falling off your bike and you will damage your bike...the pedestrian probably wont be injured....so rather give them space even if they are wrong...

5) So what if you are right and they are wrong....it doesn't actually matter all that much at the end of the day

6) There are a lot of idiots in the world today....if you go outside, you're probably going to encounter a whole bunch of them...so if you go outside, expect them to be there....if you anticipate their presence, you can act accordingly

7) Stop whining...nobody cares to listen and its lame bra!

Peace!

Having done too much driving and not enough cycling and running the last few weeks I had the following discussion with my self.

People i dont like on the road.

1. Taxis.

2. Trucks

3. People that are selfish and think they won the road.

4. People that speed.

5. People that drive too slow in the right hand lane.

6. Butt kissers that donw under stand the concept of a following disctance

7. Solid line blind hill over takers

The list grew and grew and I came to the conclusion that I just dont like other people so if everyone else would be so kind as to leave the planet I would really apreciate it.

Thanks

1) Wrong forum

2) Look ahead to where you're riding to...then you will be able to identify potential hazards/obstructions in ample time and make calm adjustments to your path of travel

4) If you klap a pedestrian/runner, you will probably get more hurt falling off your bike and you will damage your bike...the pedestrian probably wont be injured....so rather give them space even if they are wrong...

5) So what if you are right and they are wrong....it doesn't actually matter all that much at the end of the day

6) There are a lot of idiots in the world today....if you go outside, you're probably going to encounter a whole bunch of them...so if you go outside, expect them to be there....if you anticipate their presence, you can act accordingly

Peace!

Amen

If you are running into oncoming traffic and there is a cyclist approaching, please move onto the pavement.

Its the right thing to do.

It may be safer for you to run into oncoming traffic, but it is very much more dangerous for the cyclist, who only has that narrow margin and cannot see behind themselves, so seeing as the law requires the cyclist to use the road and the pedestrian to use the sidewalk, please move over. This may sound like a very obvious point to make, but I seem to come across a lot of militant joggers who think otherwise. The cyclist is going to get caught by traffic from behind and jumping a sidewalk verge sideways is very risky.

DVader was it you that jogger was chasing this morning up 12th avenue?

If it was it was f@$&ing funny watching this dude do the 100m dash uphill running after you... Hahahaha.

The girl running with him was even less impressed....

I just saw the running after you part and not what happened before. If they did not give way then to me they were in the wrong. The road is narrow there and you cannot swerve out to go around without taking the risk of landing up in front of a car, and they do go pretty quickl up that hill.

Jissie. We were cycling down Chappies toward Hout Bay Sunday morning, and there's this part with an approx 3m shoulder in the striped yellow line. So I was just on the inside of the line, and this vet jogger tannie is throwing all kinds of hand signals and moving her lips with a "warrra warrra warrra" for me to get out of the yellow line... jeeez, so angry on a Sunday morning she was.

Had this before except it was a whole group and the lady (idiot) in the front was pushing a pram. WTF!!!

Eldron's summary:

Don't be a pratt unto others and others will not be a pratt unto you.

Ok sometimes they will be because they are pratts but it's your duty as a decent human being to rise above the prattness and show them a better way rather than doubling the world's prattness by becoming one yourself.

DVader was it you that jogger was chasing this morning up 12th avenue?

If it was it was f@$&ing funny watching this dude do the 100m dash uphill running after you... Hahahaha.

The girl running with him was even less impressed....

I just saw the running after you part and not what happened before. If they did not give way then to me they were in the wrong. The road is narrow there and you cannot swerve out to go around without taking the risk of landing up in front of a car, and they do go pretty quickl up that hill.

Yip, that was me :eek:

Now you know the conditions and the very good sidewalk on the other side of the road.

A rational debate was out of the question, that okey was woes kwaad.

Time to get out of the city.

1) Wrong forum

Peace!

1) Wrong forum

Peace!

What is the rant part of rant and rave for?

It was at speed around a blind corner, so, I did look ahead and luckily used brakes.

I'll stop whining now, bra.

Having done too much driving and not enough cycling and running the last few weeks I had the following discussion with my self.

People i dont like on the road.

1. Taxis.

2. Trucks

3. People that are selfish and think they won the road.

4. People that speed.

5. People that drive too slow in the right hand lane.

6. Butt kissers that donw under stand the concept of a following disctance

7. Solid line blind hill over takers

The list grew and grew and I came to the conclusion that I just dont like other people so if everyone else would be so kind as to leave the planet I would really apreciate it.

Thanks

kind of in line with my motto - "assume everyone else is an idiot and you will be right 95% of the time"

I ride that road daily either by car or mtb. Never have I seen runners running on the road surface into oncoming traffic. The runners are always on the pavement. Actually they were pretty stupid as that road verge is so torn up by the rains recently they could easily have twisted an ankle, ( or get ridden over by a mtber).

There is a by law that says pedestrians are not allowed on the road surface. We used it in the old days when I was with SAPS to get rid of these hawkers at the traffic lights.

Just saying...

I ride that road daily either by car or mtb. Never have I seen runners running on the road surface into oncoming traffic. The runners are always on the pavement. Actually they were pretty stupid as that road verge is so torn up by the rains recently they could easily have twisted an ankle, ( or get ridden over by a mtber).

There is a by law that says pedestrians are not allowed on the road surface. We used it in the old days when I was with SAPS to get rid of these hawkers at the traffic lights.

Just saying...

Isn't there also a law that your bicycle should be registered. Remeber those little metal tags ? Or was that only in Pretoria ?

I just wish runners would wear some lights, not sounding devices, just some small lights, nearly bumped a couple this week only because the were undercover.

Firstly as a runner and a cyclist I've never had any bad experiences from either party when I'm enjoying the other discipline. Secondly, stop getting into an 'I'm more entitled to the road than them' debate. It's childish and it's exactly the type of attitude we'd all like to eliminate from South African roads. Road runners are really the flip side of the same coin. They're out there enjoying themselves just like you instead of sitting at home on the couch watching reruns of Judge Judy waiting for their Spur steak to digest. They're just using different equipment.

The majority of cyclists and runners will work around each other to ensure the other isn't inconvenienced or endangered in any way, though you'll always come across someone who either wasn't aware or felt entitled. Just let it go, you don't need to teach the rest of the world a lesson on how you would like things to be. Often our pavements aren't suited to either biking or running and in a lot of suburbs in Joburg, home owners have illegally covered their verge with plants or other decorations that prevent pedestrian use (so go outside and check that your verge is in an adequate state as well).

There was some research conducted recently which showed that if you empathised with the person who had upset you, it reduced your anger and stress levels immensely. Basically, the next time somebody pisses you off, try imagining that he just received the most upsetting phone call of his life, his dog died that morning, he lost his job or his wife just ordered the Downton Abbey box set. All things that could cause an adverse reaction from a person. i.e. he's not a dick, he's just having a bad time right now. And then let it all go, you'll be much better off.

Edited by Rata Del Spruit