SS vs Geared

Richard29

now go from SS to fixed gear

that's madness.....think of coming down the back of breedts nek fixed? il dislocate my entire spine and legs spinning so fast

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro's: Stronger and faster legs, less maintenance / cost

Cons: The lack of gears on a SS

There's a simple test for those who currently own a mtb and are thinking of moving to a SS:

The next training ride that will involve some technical riding, climbing and descending, choose one gear option on your geared mtb and stay in that gear for the whole ride.

Count the number of times you have to stop yourself from selecting another gear.

If you don't think about it (changing up / down) or change gears, great carry on moving towards SS'ing

I agree from a maintenance point of view, sunday I went cruising through mud puddles like no ones business and no gear problems niks a little bit of squeaks , where as my geared bik I know for a fact by third mud puddle im having shifting problems

I see what you did there.... I think

Also Ironmen, comrades runners, left handed people, liberals and jehovas witnesses :D

Guest Latent Blue

Same with us vegetarians.

Not as bad as the vegans though...

They dont only tell you that they are vegan... they also tell you to BE vegan!

Also Ironmen, comrades runners, left handed people, liberals and jehovas witnesses :D

And Parrabats and people who do Crossfit...

noob question, what would be the near perfect SS gear combination for the mountainous cape?

Where do you ride, what bike do you ride and what is your fitness like .... are you a power rider or granny gear spinner

I think I will stick to the gears for now, like to ride the rough stuff. 34-19 seems a bit tough on my weak knees.