Stolen Bikes in Stellenbosch

Sulli

Thanks for the help guys! in the process of getting it back. 2 people have been arrested and the bike is still considered as evidence, but should have it back.

The reason why I was commuting on it was because I was securely locking it on the university campus. A university that is in the top 100 in the world, so i thought it wouldn't be a problem. But will learn from my mistakes. A mate of mine found his stolen bike on Gumtree in George, stolen at a similar time off campus as well. definitely some kind of syndicate sending them elsewhere.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help guys! in the process of getting it back. 2 people have been arrested and the bike is still considered as evidence, but should have it back.

The reason why I was commuting on it was because I was securely locking it on the university campus. A university that is in the top 100 in the world, so i thought it wouldn't be a problem. But will learn from my mistakes. A mate of mine found his stolen bike on Gumtree in George, stolen at a similar time off campus as well. definitely some kind of syndicate sending them elsewhere.

Was your mates bike stolen in Stellies and found being sold by someone based in George on gumtree?

I have noticed there is a guy in George that lists quite a few bikes on gumtree and appears to "deal" in high end 2hnd bikes mainly mtb's.

• 1 month later...

Last night my Sons bike nearly got Stolen but the theif could not cut the last few standS of the cable lock. He was studing at the Eng Libary in Stellies. This is my old 30 year racing bike. So not worth much. These guys must be hungry. Where is the Campus Security?

Good to hear of a bike being located. I had 2 bikes and kit stolen in the SS over a month ago - no sign of any of it online so far...

don't think bike theft has anything to do with university status, otherwise places like rotterdam would be below unisa

ADT found two bikes attached to each other:

A Silverback and a Merida, both near entry level. Both bikes have disc brakes and clipless pedals.

If the owner goes to ADT, 37 Herte Street, chances are good they will get their bikes back.

ADT found two bikes attached to each other:

A Silverback and a Merida, both near entry level. Both bikes have disc brakes and clipless pedals.

If the owner goes to ADT, 37 Herte Street, chances are good they will get their bikes back.

Do you have any more details about this? Attached together as in recently stolen together or dumped together? I'm asking because I had my Merida stolen a little while ago and wondering if there is any chance???

Do you have any more details about this? Attached together as in recently stolen together or dumped together? I'm asking because I had my Merida stolen a little while ago and wondering if there is any chance???

Attached as in locked together, as if stolen together. Worth popping over anyway?

Was your mates bike stolen in Stellies and found being sold by someone based in George on gumtree?

I have noticed there is a guy in George that lists quite a few bikes on gumtree and appears to "deal" in high end 2hnd bikes mainly mtb's.

His bike was actually found advertised on this site,not on Gumtree and yes, the person is from George and deals in high end second hand bikes. He advertises alot on this site.

His bike was actually found advertised on this site,not on Gumtree and yes, the person is from George and deals in high end second hand bikes. He advertises alot on this site.

So how does he explain getting the bike in his hands, is he going to explain himself in court?

Is it the same guy still selling lots of high end bikes on gumtree in George, has a good few listed right now, I did notice he was listing some of them here on thehub as well. George is not very big so I was wondering where the bikes the guy had for sale were coming from, I thought it was perhaps a guy from a bike shop selling his trade ins but if he had your bike that was stolen in Stellies and subsequently found to be in his hands in George then maybe there's something that needs investigating.

Edited by Skylark

So how does he explain getting the bike in his hands, is he going to explain himself in court?

The same guy is still selling lots of high end bikes on gumtree in George, has a good few listed right now, I did notice he was listing some of them here on thehub as well. George is not very big so I was wondering where the bikes the guy had for sale were coming from, I thought it was perhaps a guy from a bike shop selling his trade ins but if he had your bike that was stolen in Stellies and subsequently found to be in his hands in George then maybe there's something that needs investigating.

Agree seems very odd.

Here's the guys ads, maybe if Ron can confirm that it's the same guy that was found with his stolen Spez, his name is listed as Crain:

http://www.gumtree.co.za/u-seller-listings/crain/v1u100017643p1

He does normally list what he has on gumtree in thehub classifieds as well:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/user/30536-crain/I

Before anyone goes crazy it may be a coincidence and it wouldn't be nice to implicate an innocent guy, so let's see what Ron says, he knows which guy had his bike listed on thehub and gumtree.

Edited by Skylark

Here's the guys ads, maybe if Ron can confirm that it's the same guy that was found with his stolen Spez, his name is listed as Crain:

http://www.gumtree.c.../v1u100017643p1

He does normally list what he has on gumtree in thehub classifieds as well:

http://www.thehubsa....r/30536-crain/I

Before anyone goes crazy it may be a coincidence and it wouldn't be nice to implicate an innocent guy, so let's see what Ron says, he knows which guy had his bike listed on thehub and gumtree.

Yes, this is the same guy !!!!! I had a private investigater "collect" the bike and he arranged to have it couriered back to Durban. Unfortunately, being so far away, I could not do much investigation myself, and to spend more money on the private investigater was not worth my while.

His story was that he bought the bike for 11K. Surely he must have smelled a rat, buying a 30K bike for 11k.

I wonder how innocent he actually is !!!!