Karoo 2 Coast 2014

JJBoth

can one of you experience K2C people please tell a newbie how to work the logistics out for k2c. I have entered and now umm ehhh. Where do i stay over how do i get the car there. Oops methinks I didnt think this one through. (and no i do not camp in the middle of winter!)

Then you need to book a place now.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can one of you experience K2C people please tell a newbie how to work the logistics out for k2c. I have entered and now umm ehhh. Where do i stay over how do i get the car there. Oops methinks I didnt think this one through. (and no i do not camp in the middle of winter!)

Try book a place in school hostel. Only few guesthouses there as well. You will have to sponsor a buddy's accomodation to take car to Knysna. For me that is the best route to go

Try book a place in school hostel. Only few guesthouses there as well. You will have to sponsor a buddy's accomodation to take car to Knysna. For me that is the best route to go

or drop the car the day before the race and catch a lift to uniondale. I've got space for a bag in my car on race day then you can get it in knyna after the race

All Sports Tours doing a shuttle from Cape Town to Uniondale on 20 Sept and return from Knysna 22 Sept. Cost R1600.00 pp including bike. Cost of accommodation to be confirmed. Contact Maria 082 899 7887

K2C

START TIME: 8:00

TRACK POINTS: 4122

DISTANCE: 95.95km

ESTIMATED TIME: 4.35.32

ASCENT: 1560m

DESCENT: 2283m

START ELEVATION: 727m

FINISH ELEVATION: 3m

MINIMUM ELEVATION: 3m

MAXIMUM ELEVATION: 1038m

I'm out for this year's DocEvil and K2C :thumbdown: . They conflict with the 3 day Oyster Catcher trail run in Mossel Bay on the same weekend. Gutted. I'll be back next year though.

Last year they were held on consecutive weekends, allowing those who wanted to participate in all three events to do so. This year "calender congestion" was given as a reason for the conflict. What a shame.

Take a driver. We had three riders and one driver in our car last year.

Last year we stayed in the church hall the evening before, at just R180 per person. It's warm, and conveniently located to the registration venue and start. Cheap and cheerful. You get a mattress, shower and breakfast. Good bang for your buck.

I am not sure where you get your facts from, but the race starts at about 800m asl and the highest point on the route is Prince Alfred pass which is 1037m asl.

Eddy's comment was tongue-in-cheek Brian

Had a tough day?

Starts at 2200' above MSL

I am not sure where you get your facts from, but the race starts at about 800m asl.

Not a big difference between "about 800m" and 2200' ............ Ek se maar net;-)

I entered as well. Last rode this race during the famous heat wave, somewhere between 1998 and 2000. Training was a few 40 km trips, in those days we thought we trained a lot. We also pumped our tyres as hard as possible, we believed that if the pebbles "pinged" out from under the wheels you had the least resistance.

I rode 6 hours on the dot and still ended up in the first half of the field. Times have changed, I guess now you will have to do a 4h30 to finish in the first 50%. I do remember a long downhill, about 17 km without a serious incline in the first part of the race and then a few nasty uphills in the last 20. Suffered from cramp at the end, but managed to limp home.

I am working this weekend and then leaving next weekend for a (bikeless, more eating and drinking than exercise) holiday, only to return at the end of May, so training will only start then, but will be much more intense than 15 years ago.

We booked a spot in the Old Jail in Willowmore for the Sat and will then recuperate in Knysna for a couple of days. Driver will be Mrs Legs, the Old Jail does not come cheap and she will have to do something in return for the luxury.

Then if things go well in this race (and only if it goes very well) I will consider the Attakwas, which I assume is double as difficult as the K2C.

Not a big difference between "about 800m" and 2200' ............ Ek se maar net;-)

Apologies. Brain fart from my side. I overlooked the ' indicating the imperial unit of measure as feet.

In my defence, I grew up in the metric era :)

Eddy's comment was tongue-in-cheek Brian

Had a tough day?

I understood the sarcastic "Downhill all the way" comment just fine thanks.

I was discussing the altitude of the start location.

I rode 6 hours on the dot and still ended up in the first half of the field. Times have changed, I guess now you will have to do a 4h30 to finish in the first 50%. I do remember a long downhill, about 17 km without a serious incline in the first part of the race and then a few nasty uphills in the last 20. Suffered from cramp at the end, but managed to limp home.

Actually 5hrs will still get you in the first 3rd of the field.

The only thing I remember of this race from back in 2012 when I did it my 1st & only time was the fast start with all the elites through the streets, then that first long drag where everyone was all over the show on that jeeptrack, struggling to filter through riders who can't keep the pace. Would hate to know what it was like for the later start groups. Oh & the ice cold camp on the field, jusses!!! I vowed never to do the camping thing in September again.

Planning to do my 1st. Know its going to be cold camping ,hope for no snow /rain.

you have 2 options to survive the camp, get enough rest 8hours minimum the 3-4 nights preceding the race or pop a strong dose of sleeping pills the night before so the cold won't keep you awake, goodluck.

Archived