Advice for a Pom wanting hire a MTB

MarkyMark71

I'm sure there will be hubbers around Somerset area riding every Saturday or so that could help you with the transport thing...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ended up keeping my old Prophet (w/Lefty) before finally going for a 29er.

I believe the Prophet is candidate for 650b conversion? so mine might be going that way soon. I sure hope Hope includes some 650b AM rims in the lineup..

Thanks Loupie, I'm going to work hard on getting some Brownie points in the next couple of weeks so that I can sneak of early for a couple of early morning jaunts. I'll let you guys know how that works out with plenty of notice to see if I can tag along.

Hi Kosmonooit ,

Sadly the ole Prophet bit the dust last January after 6 years of hard service but I reckon you're right, 650b would have suited it perfectly. Would you run 26 at the rear to slacken the angles a bit?

Anyways, I'm now on a Whyte T-129s, tried it once, bought it straight away after demoing Spesh, Giant and a Transition and haven't looked back since. It's been through hell, put in well over a thousand miles and it just seems to get better.

Thanks Loupie, I'm going to work hard on getting some Brownie points in the next couple of weeks so that I can sneak of early for a couple of early morning jaunts. I'll let you guys know how that works out with plenty of notice to see if I can tag along.

Hi Kosmonooit ,

Sadly the ole Prophet bit the dust last January after 6 years of hard service but I reckon you're right, 650b would have suited it perfectly. Would you run 26 at the rear to slacken the angles a bit?

Anyways, I'm now on a Whyte T-129s, tried it once, bought it straight away after demoing Spesh, Giant and a Transition and haven't looked back since. It's been through hell, put in well over a thousand miles and it just seems to get better.

A buddy of mine runs 650B front and back, but he has the MX version, set to a slacker headangle

Sounds sweet Flowta.

Huge thanks guys, think I'm all sorted bike wise and it looks like I've managed to wrangle an early midweek ride in too. Think I'll turn on the charm and push for another ride or two.

To be honest I can't wait, been talking to a couple of guys and I don't think I'm going to want to leave if the riding is half as good as I've been told it

Wishing my life away until I'm in SA.

Laters

Evening all,

I need some advice and it was suggested that I tap the fount of knowledge that is contained within the hub, so here I am.

I have the great pleasure of visiting SA next month and although my ride time will be limited I'm going to get at least one days riding in. Now to my, question to you good people, where is the best place to hire a decent full-sus trail bike in the Somerset West area?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and keep those wheels rolling:)

Cheers

Mark

Welcome to SA. While you renting a bike, dont forget to rent a firearm, flack jacket and swallow a gps so in the event you taken out somewhere, well find you. Eventually. otherwise great trails to ride on. Enjoy

Welcome to SA. While you renting a bike, dont forget to rent a firearm, flack jacket and swallow a gps so in the event you taken out somewhere, well find you. Eventually. otherwise great trails to ride on. Enjoy

:thumbdown:

Hi Kosmonooit ,

Dude, let me know if your going to ride Jonkershoek on the weekend when your here. I live in Stellenbosch (just next to Jonkershoek) and am always keen for a ride!

Loupie,

That would be awesome buddy, looks like the 23rd of March is the date for the weekend ride and Jonkershoek is definately a trail I would love to ride. I'll be staying in Somerset West and the GF will be dropping me off, are you adverse to an early start? Only asking as this frail Englishman might not be able to cope with sun.

Will you be packing and do you have a spare flak jacket;)

Don't know what you've heard, but mtb'ers in South Africa is rarely "packing". Mostly motorbikers and "pedestrians" trying to obtain a bike or something is packing, then it's a 9mm or so :ph34r:

Edited by dre

Loupie,

That would be awesome buddy, looks like the 23rd of March is the date for the weekend ride and Jonkershoek is definately a trail I would love to ride. I'll be staying in Somerset West and the GF will be dropping me off, are you adverse to an early start? Only asking as this frail Englishman might not be able to cope with sun.

Cheeze bru, you pick a hell of a weekend... It's a long weekend and it's the long weekend of my anniversary... Gonna be a tough one, but I'll try my best. The flack jacket might not be much use by that time, because I'm gonna have to wear it when I break this news :blush:

Early ride will be 100's! Even we local boys suffer in the heat of day, so usually do early rides!

Loupie,

I'll see if I can make it too.

Which part of the UK you from?

Loupie,

Sorry buddy! Anniversaries are important and congrats for how ever many years it is, no pressure dude just see how it goes,

Flowta,

The more the merrier buddy.

I'm about 60 miles South of London which puts me on the coast so the choices are limited for decent riding. There's the Surrey Hills, which are compact and fun. South Downs Way which is loooooooong. 100 miles end to end with 3,700m of climbing which I did 3 ways last year, unsupported and wild camping, over 2 1/2 days. Finally there's the weekends away with the boys to Wales.

Been looking at you tube and the trails you get to ride look awesome.

One word of warning guys, I'm 42 so my road gap days are behind me.

Loupie,

Sorry buddy! Anniversaries are important and congrats for how ever many years it is, no pressure dude just see how it goes,

Flowta,

The more the merrier buddy.

I'm about 60 miles South of London which puts me on the coast so the choices are limited for decent riding. There's the Surrey Hills, which are compact and fun. South Downs Way which is loooooooong. 100 miles end to end with 3,700m of climbing which I did 3 ways last year, unsupported and wild camping, over 2 1/2 days. Finally there's the weekends away with the boys to Wales.

Been looking at you tube and the trails you get to ride look awesome.

One word of warning guys, I'm 42 so my road gap days are behind me.

Cool, I'll start applying for a Sports Pass now.

Got family in Wales but never had a bike when visiting. I better make a plan next time I'm there.