Spinning as an alternative during the week

Also starting to consider this - can't ride on the road these days with cars or actually cyclists :)Also can't do my morning Spruit ride anymore because of the recent attempted bikejacking by Ballyclare.....

I've been spinning an hour almost every week day morning for the last 6 months.. Lovely 4.30am starts... Have only ever used the computerised spinning bikes, alternating between endurance and cardio training. Weekend rides generally spent at Tokai.

Has helped me knock off 14kgs and will hopefully help with a long ride I have in a couple of weeks time.

Using a heart rate monitor is essential - it took me a while to figure this out...

Tom

I've been spinning an hour almost every week day morning for the last 6 months.. Lovely 4.30am starts... Have only ever used the computerised spinning bikes, alternating between endurance and cardio training. Weekend rides generally spent at Tokai.

Has helped me knock off 14kgs and will hopefully help with a long ride I have in a couple of weeks time.

Using a heart rate monitor is essential - it took me a while to figure this out...

Tom

I don't agree...not essential at all. Work with perceived exertion and you will be golden. Tabata intervals(which imo is also the most beneficial of the HIIT types) don't requiren you to sit in any zones. Its balls to the wall for 20sec, 10 sec recover.... x 8 times = 1 set....Do 3 sets with a 4 minutes recovery between them...a 8 minute warmup and 5 minutes cooldown to spin out the lactic acid and you have beaut of a workout.

The rule of HIIT's is less is more....now what I mean by that is, don't do them every day...expecting more training = more results. Twice a week is perfect. Also sitting in zones that doesn't stress your body is worthless with HIT's, you are better of doing 1 tabata interval of 4 minutes than sitting on the bike for an hour just breaking a sweat and relaxed.

I don't agree...not essential at all. Work with perceived exertion and you will be golden. Tabata intervals(which imo is also the most beneficial of the HIIT types) don't requiren you to sit in any zones. Its balls to the wall for 20sec, 10 sec recover.... x 8 times = 1 set....Do 3 sets with a 4 minutes recovery between them...a 8 minute warmup and 5 minutes cooldown to spin out the lactic acid and you have beaut of a workout.

The rule of HIIT's is less is more....now what I mean by that is, don't do them every day...expecting more training = more results. Twice a week is perfect. Also sitting in zones that doesn't stress your body is worthless with HIT's, you are better of doing 1 tabata interval of 4 minutes than sitting on the bike for an hour just breaking a sweat and relaxed.

Agreed in general -but those nearly falling asleep sessions on the day after a race (active recovery) has helped me a lot. I then use a heart rate monitor because it is easy to go tooo easy. Edited by TALUS

Agreed in general -but those nearly falling asleep sessions on the day after a race (active recovery) has helped me a lot. I then use a heart rate monitor because it is easy to go tooo easy.

Sure recovery spins...I am talking more about trying to get quick by going for long.

I have seen huge improvement after a month at Cadence, twice a week plus 6 hrs riding on the weekend. Also buys you a bit of motivation, not cheap but well worth it!