Mugging on Smitswinkle this morning (2 March)

saeley

Not sure the exact time must have been round 5:45 - 6. There were quite a few people on the road, I just happened to loose a group round a corner and was alone, guess he saw opportunity, it was a red hatch, it was an old car. Don't remember much except begging him not to hurt me and ripping out everything on my back pockets for him. Guess it was just opportunity and bad timing on my side to be in a gap at that point.

Not sure the exact time must have been round 5:45 - 6. There were quite a few people on the road, I just happened to loose a group round a corner and was alone, guess he saw opportunity, it was a red hatch, it was an old car. Don't remember much except begging him not to hurt me and ripping out everything on my back pockets for him. Guess it was just opportunity and bad timing on my side to be in a gap at that point.

I am really sorry that this happened to you. I also ride alone, BUT never in the dark. I often ride towards Smits but only as it is getting light and if I get past Froggy Pond where the houses end and the bush starts, I turn around if there are no cyclists nearby. Yes these attacks are unlawful and we should be able to ride alone safely, however we cannot. Come on ladies, don't ride alone in the dark!! I know that at 5.45/6am ish it is too dark to be riding near Smits alone.

****! :cursing:

Edit: It wont allow me to say S.H.I.T, and that's really what I want to say! :cursing: :cursing:

Edited by DJR

Reporter here from the Cape Argus. Want to chat to you about the incident for a potential story, check your PM or drop me your contact details at kieran.legg@inl.co.za.

Also looking at the idea of that a potential cartel (or crime circle) might be operating in the build up to the Argus and targeting cyclists as easy victims so anyone else who has been mugged/harassed/etc. during training or commuting in/around Cape Town over the past few months feel free to drop me PMs with your story and your contact details.

Edited by gonzojournalism

Omg.. where can I cycle in CT?... even on the road people are mugged... seriously WTF!!!!

Not cool....glad you ok tho....any chance you can track the iPod...maybe a way of finding this scum...... :cursing:

Hi

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, as others have said your safety is more important than any possessions.

I went through smits today at about 9am lots of bikers on the rd incidence free, but I must admit one is hyper vigilant till the fish hoek sun valley turn off.

Be safe on the roads and yes I must agree on the advise to not risk riding through any deserted areas in the dark alone.

Regards

Cana

Reporter here from the Cape Argus. Want to chat to you about the incident for a potential story, check your PM or drop me your contact details at kieran.legg@inl.co.za.

Also looking at the idea of that a potential cartel (or crime circle) might be operating in the build up to the Argus and targeting cyclists as easy victims so anyone else who has been mugged/harassed/etc. during training or commuting in/around Cape Town over the past few months feel free to drop me PMs with your story and your contact details.

you can start at neil's wheels. Many a jacked bike (in the past) has ended up there. Not saying the store is doing the thieving, but a truckload of stolen parts and bikes have exchanged hands there. Just the other day, a friend of mine, noted a fork stolen from him a while back. on a bike another hubber was selling. that hubber got his 'deal' from Neils wheels. Not the first. Not the last. Something about smoke and fire comes to mind.

Glad OP is ok.This mugger must have passed 100's of cyclists.Pity we do not have comms with each other in case of emergency..At least we could have spotted the lic.plate no.I bet he is a regular in that area.Wonder if the baboon monitors know him

saw this old red mazda ( egi shape like in the old continental advert) about 630 ish in simons. he came out the side road close to station and went towards smits direction. funny thing is after passing the golf course he passed us again..... could be someone from the area.... im thinking.