Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

Rules of road racing

Snip Snip

1. If you want to work on the front, don’t surge. Keep a hard steady tempo, even on rollers/uphills. 

Snip Snip

For us Mtb'ers that are still new to the road, how does one know weather or not you are riding at the right tempo?

in the Midvaal Classic i tried to take a turn in the front and when i looked back there was a 100m gap, so i thought with 14km to go i should go for it and as you experienced guys have already figured out i ended up limping home after the bunch i once was in had re-passed me.

so when is enough and how do you know this without constantly looking behind you?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For us Mtb'ers that are still new to the road, how does one know weather or not you are riding at the right tempo?

in the Midvaal Classic i tried to take a turn in the front and when i looked back there was a 100m gap, so i thought with 14km to go i should go for it and as you experienced guys have already figured out i ended up limping home after the bunch i once was in had re-passed me.

so when is enough and how do you know this without constantly looking behind you?

I dont know, I have never been in front

You are far too nice to be a roadie! You should only ever ride in front if you are doing a solo break away :ph34r:

Nah, best way is to watch your speed and gauge your effort, try and be consistent.

Its very common for the guy on the front to surge too hard so dont stress, again this is where communication can help. The group should give you an indication if you start pulling away.

I also came from a MTB background and this was something that does take some getting used to. My only guidance would be to stick in the bunch and get a good feel for the tempo that they are comfortable with. No sure answer here, but it is something that comes...

It's easier if you are at 2nd wheel, and wait for the front guy to peel off. Then you just maintain your pace. But if you ride up to the front, make sure that you  slow down when you get to the front, because when riding up to the front, you are going faster than the bunch.

From then on, just keep a steady pace.

It also depends on the make up of the group. In the lower groups, matching your speed to the bunch is more important, as the riders are less inclined to close the gap. In the higher groups, the riders will make sure they stay on your wheel (unless you really surge and they think you are attacking) so when you come up to the front, it is less important to match your speed.

I have a mirror on my bike, which is very useful if you want to help out slower riders. I use it to check that I'm not opening a gap. (Apparently this is against the rules though.) Watching the shadows of yourself and the other riders is also very useful.

haha! Think that happens to most of us! I would say take shorter turns until you get a feel for the pace of the group, ride only slightly faster than the front guy you pass to take the lead (ie don't surge) and when you tire just ride gradually slower until someone behind you get impatient enough to take the lead again

Okay – might be dump, but cannot find the basic info with regards to the ROAD race for Sunday 16.11.2014

Link below is for the MTB race

http://www.cyclechallenge.co.za/FAQ

I only want to know the following :

1. GPS coordinates for venue for number collection of ROAD  race
  2. GPS coordinates for starting point for race on Sunday

As easy as that. Might be hidden somewhere along their fancy website – sorry but I cannot find it….lol :ph34r: 

Okay – might be dump, but cannot find the basic info with regards to the ROAD race for Sunday 16.11.2014

Link below is for the MTB race

http://www.cyclechallenge.co.za/FAQ

I only want to know the following :

• GPS coordinates for venue for number collection of ROAD  race
  • GPS coordinates for starting point for race on Sunday
As easy as that. Might be hidden somewhere along their fancy website – sorry but I cannot find it….lol :ph34r: 

1. 26° 3'47.58"S 27°56'35.48"E (The Dome)

2. 25°57'57.42"S 28° 1'10.45"E (Riversands farm)

From Google earth so I hope it works.

Please excuse the long novel, but here's a laymans look at some of the effects of high altitude on athletic performance:

Two key things happen for us coastal folk:

1. Hyperventilation and respiratory alkalosis

Our blood gases need to maintain balance: optimum O2 absorption requires an acidic environment. CO2 is acidic. So you need adequate CO2 for your blood to absorb O2 from the lungs. If your blood CO2 levels drop too far, your body literally loses its ability to absorb O2 and get it to working muscles.

At high altitude the lack of oxygen is sensed by the carotid bodies, which causes an automatic increase in the breathing rate (hyperventilation). E.g. my resting breathing rate will be automatically higher in JHB than in DBN.

Hyperventilation causes your CO2 levels to drop drastically, so the very simple outcome for us cyclists is that if you’re breathing too hard for too long, you must know that you’re now experiencing what’s called respiratory alkalosis, and you are becoming less and less able to absorb oxygen into the blood. Heavy panting that goes on for too long literally starves your muscles of oxygen.

It creates a downward spiral: you are becoming more desperate for air, but the more you pant the worse you’re actually making things for yourself. And so it goes until the inevitable blow-out.

2. Impaired digestion

“In addition, at high altitude, the heart beats faster; the stroke volume is slightly decreased; and non-essential bodily functions are suppressed, resulting in a decline in food digestion efficiency (as the body suppresses the digestive system in favor of increasing its cardiopulmonary reserves).” From Wikipedia.

Moral of the story:

1. Coastal folk must try and keep their effort levels inside acceptable effort levels as much as possible and for as long as possible. Do not attack early, do not do any work up front, do not stand on the pedals if you can possibly help it. Avoid ‘going anaerobic’ like the plague. Stay seated, stay deep in the bunch, stay calm, keep your breathing steady and don’t work! Assume that you’ve got maybe 1 or 2 good big efforts in you and so leave them for the last 2 climbs.

2. Eat earlier than you normally do. Accept that your body will not be able to absorb fuel as quickly as it does back home. Start eating early and eat small amounts regularly through the race. Don’t tax the digestive system, give it a chance.

.... Or next time take 3 weeks of work and get up to JHB super early :).

Fantastic post, very interesting info - thanks!

Do you know if the corollary applies : ie - in theory, should Argus, Amashova, Tour of Durban feel easier for us Joburg warriors?

Thats fine for before the race. What about after the race?

Wear old socks inside your shoes  :whistling:  :clap:

edit: so you can put them on over your shoes.

There will be mud. There will be traffic. There will be hundreds of backmarkers pushing their bikes within the first 10km. There will be crashes just before and directly after the Steyn City gate/guardhouse/fort wall. There will be flared tempers when trying to leave for home. I was there and I saw the future.

I am considering MTB cleats and shoes.

Lol, so you don't study marketing 101 in Med School then?

There will be hundreds of backmarkers pushing their bikes within the first 10-30km. 

That's probably going to be the most challenging bit for anyone riding a second lap - negotiating the backmarkers pushing their bikes up Pukes Hill, Heartbreak hill and passed the old start/finish. Prior years were easier because of the highway.

Lol, so you don't study marketing 101 in Med School then?

If you read Rapport you will know that we study many different things :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Going to miss the old route, esp. the drag up the highway and then the incredible panoramic view as you peak and come off the highway. New last bit and start/finish looks like a hotchpotch to me.

+1

Just out of interest does anyone out there actually do the Elbow thing to indicate to the guy following to take a pull?

I usually just drift to the left and ease up a bit and the guys come past. Just a glance over your shoulder should also be enough to indicate that they should take over.

However, if they still stay on your wheel you give them a "kaapse klap". That would get the message across.

Archived