Paintballers at Tokai

maidenmole

First time at Tokai this morning. So much fun for this flatlander from Jozi. I noticed two guys with paintball guns (and full paintball kit) taking shots on Bridle while I was passing the Ruin (I think). As I descended Bridle the baboons were super agro - had my pepper spray in hand as a few approached me on the trail. Not sure if these clowns were shooting at the baboons?

Has this happened before in Tokai?

Know some of the residents used to shoot 'em baboons with paintball guns (which I think is illegal) when I lived in Simon's Town, but that was to chase them away. Sounds like these guys were just harassing the animals in the wild, which is not on.

Baboons are not well liked in Southern Peninsula or anywhere, where they cause big property damage.

There are trained Baboons 'watcher' and they gas type guns, don't think they are paint though.

They are there to keep the baboons away from the vineyards as far as I know. I got a bit peeved on Wednesday when one of them pushed a group of them directly in front of me as I came down Vasbyt, and kept on firing even though I ended up between him and the baboons.

Have noticed the baboons getting seemingly more aggressive lately, I never used to be bothered by them but these days I am wary of them.

These were definitely paintball guns - I saw many of the broken balls along Bridal. The baboons were seriously pissed off - there was a massive fight amongst them. Not cool for us when we run the risk of getting caught in the middle of both paintballers and fighting baboons.

These were definitely paintball guns - I saw many of the broken balls along Bridal. The baboons were seriously pissed off - there was a massive fight amongst them. Not cool for us when we run the risk of getting caught in the middle of both paintballers and fighting baboons.
I think the area you were in, if by the ruins, was at the bottom of Boomslang. The baboons seem to be moving up and down that area a lot these days from Cobra all the way down. It may be loss of habitat thanks to the logging that is getting them worked up.

I remember Daniel from Iride said he had an issue with them a few weeks back.

They are there to keep the baboons away from the vineyards as far as I know. I got a bit peeved on Wednesday when one of them pushed a group of them directly in front of me as I came down Vasbyt, and kept on firing even though I ended up between him and the baboons.

Have noticed the baboons getting seemingly more aggressive lately, I never used to be bothered by them but these days I am wary of them.

This is the unpopular view, but more realistic than most would care to admit:

I love the baboons and I love seeing them when I ride there, but there are now too many baboons in Tokai. It used to have 1 troop, they have multiplied because they are protected from predators, now there are (I think) 3 troops in the same area. They cannot disperse because the suburbs surround them. They cannot go higher up the mountain because it is not rich enough in food up there. They cannot invade the suburbs to get to the rubbish bins because the baboon monitors keep them on the mountain. The grapes in the vineyards are now ripening, that's where they want to be, but the farmers cannot allow them to destroy their crops. So, they are kept on the mountain.

I cannot help but understand that they must be getting very frustrated. I'm glad they don't ride bikes, or they would have assaulted some taxi drivers by now.

The solution to the Tokai baboon situation is even more unpopular. They cannot be trans-located, it has been tried and it tends to fail miserably. They get into trouble with farms, dogs, leopards before you know. They are not an endangered species. They need to reduce the Tokai troop numbers. Cull. Did I say the unpopular word out loud? Perhaps some bleeding heart could come up with another solution. A leopard or 2 for Tokai? Anyone say yes? Birth control? Get them to take their pills every morning? Dart all the females every month? Give some of the multi million Rand estates below Tokai back to them to enlarge their habitat? The golf course perhaps? Ha ha. Cull is the only way, but nobody has the guts to do it!

Like I said, not the popular view, but at least think about it.

The commotion I saw looked like two troops fighting with each other as they seemed to have been corralled into the same region by the paintballers. Tokai is a SANParks reserve right? If so, then SANParks should be monitoring baboon numbers and institute rellocations or culling when appropriate. There should be fairly good policies in place for this sort of thing, if there are indeed too many.

Again, my issue is not with the baboons ... would prefer to have them than some maverick paintballers shooting around me.

They are not Maverick paintballers.

They are trained and they do a fantastic job. They do not shoot the baboons but herd them by shooting around them.

As a 1st timer I think you will be unaware that they used to congregate in the car park and rip off wipers, spot lights, roof racks. Poop on your car and chew everything and anything with an edge as well as steal stuff.

I have had and heard of a couple of run ins with the baboons but if you head down and ride the generally do little.

One of the factors in the huge increase was also the fire in Redhill and development and other unsettiling works as far as Hout Bay (the township creeping up the mountain).

The baboons have relocated themselves within the 'safe' area of Tokai.

It is a SANparks site and NOT a mountain bike park so SANparks 1st interest is in keeping nature and animals happy. The baboons have enough food and they seem content to roam through the safe areas. It is in fact only when pushed away from us 'visitors' that they get agitated.

Be very careful how we treat Tokai for the next little while and what get voiced/complained about.

It is costing SANparks a packet to keep them under control and if they stopped us riding there they wouldnt have to fork that cash out.

This is the unpopular view, but more realistic than most would care to admit:

I love the baboons and I love seeing them when I ride there, but there are now too many baboons in Tokai. It used to have 1 troop, they have multiplied because they are protected from predators, now there are (I think) 3 troops in the same area. They cannot disperse because the suburbs surround them. They cannot go higher up the mountain because it is not rich enough in food up there. They cannot invade the suburbs to get to the rubbish bins because the baboon monitors keep them on the mountain. The grapes in the vineyards are now ripening, that's where they want to be, but the farmers cannot allow them to destroy their crops. So, they are kept on the mountain.

I cannot help but understand that they must be getting very frustrated. I'm glad they don't ride bikes, or they would have assaulted some taxi drivers by now.

The solution to the Tokai baboon situation is even more unpopular. They cannot be trans-located, it has been tried and it tends to fail miserably. They get into trouble with farms, dogs, leopards before you know. They are not an endangered species. They need to reduce the Tokai troop numbers. Cull. Did I say the unpopular word out loud? Perhaps some bleeding heart could come up with another solution. A leopard or 2 for Tokai? Anyone say yes? Birth control? Get them to take their pills every morning? Dart all the females every month? Give some of the multi million Rand estates below Tokai back to them to enlarge their habitat? The golf course perhaps? Ha ha. Cull is the only way, but nobody has the guts to do it!

Like I said, not the popular view, but at least think about it.

So only baboons who ride bikes assault taxi drivers? :ph34r:

I wish I could see your expression before you realized that I'm pulling your leg :devil:

They are not Maverick paintballers.

They are trained and they do a fantastic job. They do not shoot the baboons but herd them by shooting around them.

As a 1st timer I think you will be unaware that they used to congregate in the car park and rip off wipers, spot lights, roof racks. Poop on your car and chew everything and anything with an edge as well as steal stuff.

I have had and heard of a couple of run ins with the baboons but if you head down and ride the generally do little.

One of the factors in the huge increase was also the fire in Redhill and development and other unsettiling works as far as Hout Bay (the township creeping up the mountain).

The baboons have relocated themselves within the 'safe' area of Tokai.

It is a SANparks site and NOT a mountain bike park so SANparks 1st interest is in keeping nature and animals happy. The baboons have enough food and they seem content to roam through the safe areas. It is in fact only when pushed away from us 'visitors' that they get agitated.

Be very careful how we treat Tokai for the next little while and what get voiced/complained about.

It is costing SANparks a packet to keep them under control and if they stopped us riding there they wouldnt have to fork that cash out.

Hey Singlespeed guy,

Who are the paintballers? As a first timer (I wasn't aware of the trouble the 'boons have caused previously) I nearly crapped myself when I heard the shots and saw a guys pointing the gun in my direction. Are they SANParks employees? I was not aware that it was okay to a) discharge a weapon in a national park and b) that it was ok to leave paint balls lying around in an environmentally protected area?

My point about it being a SANParks park is that they would be the best to know/decide when overpopulation is an issue and what would be in their best interests when it comes to culling, not us.

So only baboons who ride bikes assault taxi drivers? :ph34r:

I wish I could see your expression before you realized that I'm pulling your leg :devil:

:D :D I saw flashes of all kind of political ramifications :D :D

:D :D I saw flashes of all kind of political ramifications :D :D

yeah, don't let some of our "funny-bone deficient" hubbers see that post; your flame-suit or lynch protector might just come in handy :whistling:

First time at Tokai this morning. So much fun for this flatlander from Jozi. I noticed two guys with paintball guns (and full paintball kit) taking shots on Bridle while I was passing the Ruin (I think). As I descended Bridle the baboons were super agro - had my pepper spray in hand as a few approached me on the trail. Not sure if these clowns were shooting at the baboons?

Has this happened before in Tokai?

Can you account for your whereabouts on the morning of Sunday 02 March 2014? :devil:

Can you account for your whereabouts on the morning of Sunday 02 March 2014? :devil:

:clap: :clap:

Hey Singlespeed guy,

Who are the paintballers? As a first timer (I wasn't aware of the trouble the 'boons have caused previously) I nearly crapped myself when I heard the shots and saw a guys pointing the gun in my direction. Are they SANParks employees? I was not aware that it was okay to a) discharge a weapon in a national park and b) that it was ok to leave paint balls lying around in an environmentally protected area?

My point about it being a SANParks park is that they would be the best to know/decide when overpopulation is an issue and what would be in their best interests when it comes to culling, not us.

The paintballers are a part of a programme which has been active for about 2 years now. The previous company which was hired by SANparks was booted and this programme is an ongoing development.

They also have people studying the baboons, monitoring troops, their leaders, breeding patterns and their behaviour. You will see people with clipboards being all weird and stuff following them around.

I think it is safe to say that your question has been answered though.

They are not random, they are a part of a heavily funded, very stringently monitored programme, an academic study and an ever shifting structure which directly correlates to the behavioral studies.

It has a number of end goals in mind with us (the forest/park users) being one of them.