Argus 2014-Lessons Learned

NeoOne

Maybe not completely in line with this thread but here goes .

To the chap with whom I had a coming together with heading down into Camps Bay. We touched at high speed but both managed to thankfully remain upright rather than on the tarmac otherwise it was going to be all kinds of Eina. I should have most probably warned you but it all happened so very fast.

Unfortunately I had nowhere to go. I was on somebody's wheel and we going faster than you at the time and we were coming past on your right. I had a motorbike to my right, you on the left and who knows what on my behind. You started drifting and I got boxed in with nowhere to go.

I stopped, turned and walked back up the road to see if you had come off and if you were ok but thankfully I saw no accident and no carnage. I think my pedal caught your bike somewhere and so ended your race prematurely. It no doubt left a damper on your day out and probably cursing me through to the early hours of Monday morning. If it was you pushing your white bike up on the coastal side of the road then, although we will never meet, please accept my condolences for the bad luck (and good luck eventually) and I hope you have a better 2015 Argus.

I got totally spooked after that as it was really probably just a matter of millimeters between going home or going to Medi Clinic and rode very carefully minding my own business to the end tape.

Argus Lesson learned = Do more than three 60km rides for training.

General cycling lesson learnt = Be courteous to other cyclists, alert at all times and enjoy the ride.

Besides the few expected dickheads it was a great day out and a big thank you to all those involved in making it so.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I froze my ass off waiting at the start. They need to organize better weather at the start for next year. :ph34r:

On the way back out of Camps bay on my brick run I encountered Greg from the VW cycling club pushing his bike one footed. He had broken his chain and was trying to get himself to the finish. I decided, as I was going back that way anyway, that I would jump into the road and give him some assistance. For the next 2.5km I pushed Greg while running beside him up some hills and along the flats until he could coast down at Bantry Bay hill where he then met up with another cyclist and they did some tow-glide work together.

What a great guy. We had an awesome chat and was just an all round awesome experience. Greg, wherever you are. I am glad you got to finish your race. Your will to push on and finish really inspired me. I think you may owe my legs a beer as they aren't as chuffed :P Made for good training though.

Thanks,

Scrumpy

Load Area: Better and BIGGER signage would have helped.

Seeding: Riding the Argus once a year is not enough information to gauge a riders capability (IMO). Perhaps have a minimum number of specified races that you MUST do to enter the Argus.

Chuck zones: Great idea but some warning signs so that you can get to the correct side of the road before the chuck zone.

The start under the Civic Centre is a mess when the wind is even slightly up. Move the start line??

Provide a snack or two at the feeding stations but that is what pockets are for i guess.

Have a group for younger riders/development riders under the guidance of an experienced mentor?? (The Nedbank chaps (OA Numbers) were a nightmare IMO)

:thumbup: AGREED :thumbup:

Edited by MissyT

On the way back out of Camps bay on my brick run I encountered Greg from the VW cycling club pushing his bike one footed. He had broken his chain and was trying to get himself to the finish. I decided, as I was going back that way anyway, that I would jump into the road and give him some assistance. For the next 2.5km I pushed Greg while running beside him up some hills and along the flats until he could coast down at Bantry Bay hill where he then met up with another cyclist and they did some tow-glide work together.

What an awesome read....well done for helping another ... PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN :thumbup:

Edited by Btus

I hear lots of people tell stories of the dangers of bunch riding and of crashes:

"The wind did this and the wind did that".

"Some guy drifted in front of me".

"Someone didn't keep his line through the corner".

"Nobody warned me of the pothole".

"I didn't expect the sharp corner".

I hear very little learnt about bunch riding skills:

Stay in the front quarter.

Stay on the side.

Always think of an escape route.

Look far ahead.

Stay loose on the bike.

Stay off the brakes.

Don't panic.

Don't overlap wheels.

(Feel free to add more)

Personally, early on in a ride I look very carefully at the individuals in my bunch. I pick out the unsteady guys and I stay away from them. If the whole bunch turns crazy, it happens, then I either drop them or I drop off and ride on my own until I find a bunch I like. My neck is worth more to me than a specific time in a race.

I hear lots of people tell stories of the dangers of bunch riding and of crashes:

"The wind did this and the wind did that".

"Some guy drifted in front of me".

"Someone didn't keep his line through the corner".

"Nobody warned me of the pothole".

"I didn't expect the sharp corner".

I hear very little learnt about bunch riding skills:

Stay in the front quarter.

Stay on the side.

Always think of an escape route.

Look far ahead.

Stay loose on the bike.

Stay off the brakes.

Don't panic.

Don't overlap wheels.

(Feel free to add more)

Personally, early on in a ride I look very carefully at the individuals in my bunch. I pick out the unsteady guys and I stay away from them. If the whole bunch turns crazy, it happens, then I either drop them or I drop off and ride on my own until I find a bunch I like. My neck is worth more to me than a specific time in a race.

you are yellow carded for sensical posting ..

I froze my ass off waiting at the start. They need to organize better weather at the start for next year. :ph34r:

A plastic bin bag keeps you warm in the start chutes. Small and light to pack. Throw away or pass on to another rider starting behind you

@Slowbee

Phew. I'm glad somebody posted this.

My experience on Sunday confirmed that generally either road cyclists are ignorant or just don't give a rats. Please don't get me wrong here as this is not a anti-roadie thing but there is a massive gap between what I experience on the road to on the mountain - this includes etiquete but mostly from a skills perspective. I don't know what it is and nor am I going to expend energy trying to find out.

There is an art to bunch riding. It is a skill that needs to be mastered as it can be quite dangerous and painful if not. My complete and utter generalisation is that at least 80% of my group had no idea as to how to ride in a bunch greater than 6 people. In ye days of olde when I used to ride road bike there was a conduct that was followed and you watched and learned as people taught you the yes/no of the road and it was adhered to otherwise.... There was also respect. Respect for the road, cars, yourself but also for your fellow cyclist. Nowadays it feels like that that is all but gone and so I take to the mountains instead.

Read here for more http://www.thehubsa....ing-should-be/.

Edited by Pure XTC

Lesson learned.XX1 was not designed with the argus in mind.Average cadence must have been about 150 for the whole ride.

SPIN HOM PAPPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jy sal daai spin anties by Virgin gym se spin klasse baie happy gemaak het as hulle dit gesien het!!!!!!

I have enjoyed every argus I have ridden. Every year I am impressed at how well it's organised.

A big thanks to all involved, ppa, the rotatary clubs, marshal, volunteers spectators and my fellow cyclists.

I also missed the bar one water point

Will be back next year to ride at the back end of the race for my own pleasure

GlovesMTB, you know that Blue Monster is talking about XX1, the MTB group set and not, the Argus seeding. I find your points very contradicting

GlovesMTB, you know that Blue Monster is talking about XX1, the MTB group set and not, the Argus seeding. I find your points very contradicting

Ok I'll try and use small words:

People don't 'try to cheat the system' to get better seedings, they use the parameters (guidelines) set out by the organizers.

Most belong where they are seeded, a minority (small number) don't.

Some seeding groups allow you to get an early start time (elite ladies a d tandems) and trying to seed them later failed spectacularly (i.e. It was a big flop) in previous years. The answer is probably to get these groups more competitive rather than bunching them all together.

Hope this helps.

Can someone please teach the guys in the Pick n Pay and Nedbank sponsored clothing how to ride in large groups. They caused lots of havock by swaying from left to right, cutting in between cyclists and just had no regard for the other cyclists. Had to raise my voice a couple of times as they caused others to brake and swerve in order to avoid them. Having dropped back to the PC starting group it is amaising to see the amount of silly mistakes that unfit riders make, ie stopping in the middle of the road, pulling out infront of on coming bikes, walking in the middle and right side of a road/hill. That said it was an amaising day, hope those that got hurt will make a speedy recovery.

Great Argus c u next year.

you are yellow carded for sensical posting ..

I've done 15 Argus rides. 9 sub three. This year I rode with my wife in BB. Wind and sore legs after Boland Tour made me do that. I saw lots of riders touching hands or shoulders and then nervously swing away from each other. This causes lots of riders crashing. Ask a riding buddy and practice to just slightly lean into each other when accidentally touching. This way you will gently part, not causing others to crash.