No GPS tracking allowed??

C2firm

anything we upload to strava would be pointless anyway because there will be a million people faster than us who didnt upload. I've had QOMs in races before when i know i was way way slower than the front girls but they didnt upload. not like i actually was fastest which is the whole point really.. i think its fair enough. I've downloaded race routes before hoping to ride them but have always checked before i did to find that i wasnt allowed.

il still use my garmin, couldn't give 2 sh*ts about strava for epic, just want to finish the bloody race.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anything we upload to strava would be pointless anyway because there will be a million people faster than us who didnt upload. I've had QOMs in races before when i know i was way way slower than the front girls but they didnt upload. not like i actually was fastest which is the whole point really.. i think its fair enough. I've downloaded race routes before hoping to ride them but have always checked before i did to find that i wasnt allowed.

il still use my garmin, couldn't give 2 sh*ts about strava for epic, just want to finish the bloody race.

I luv it when a girl talks dirty to me ;)

*Tin foil hat on*

There is a live tracking partner. Someone is parting with their cash for this arrangement and don't want another service treading on their toes. Like when you can only get one type of beer at a sporting event.

*Tin foil hat off*

Is this a rule new?

Laaste year the epic went through a farm that has trail on it but the epic did not follow the usual route. Some people saw on some gps base site where they rode the epic and also did. We confront by the farmer as they rode where not allowed they cursed at him. Now the farm allows NO riding any more.

Because of the the arrogant selfish @#$%^& out there life become harder for the rest of us and trail management of private land becomes nightmare

Guest Smimby

Because the dumb mf's riding the epic paid 50 gazillion Rands to ride there and don't want others riding there for free, nuff said.

Hmmmm actually NO, this rule was put in place because off people going and riding on PRIVATE without permission affter the EPIC....hence trespassing, and causing land owners to not want to give permission again.

wrt to the tracking....hmm don't know

jealous much???

Be careful. The Epic police will wait at the finish line and delete your gpx files before you have had you finish line coke. If you try and avoid them, you won't have a finish time and be disqualified.

You have been warned. :wacko:

Epic Garmin police is watching you :eek:

*Tin foil hat on*

There is a live tracking partner. Someone is parting with their cash for this arrangement and don't want another service treading on their toes. Like when you can only get one type of beer at a sporting event.

*Tin foil hat off*

Is this a rule new?

nope it's an old rule, and makes zero sense to me. polar used to be(or still are?) one of their big partners, and garmin was killing them in the marketplace due to their GPS functions that were way superior. It made commercial sense to ban all gps because it effectively meant all garmins where illegal, yet most polars were ok.

I understand the thinking behind uploading gps tracks to the web, but it's not hard to get the routes from memory anyway. PLUS all the nice spots on the epic are generally open access/trails. the private stuff is linking sections.

Don't get me wrong, nothing pisses me off more than trespassing(i organise adventure races, so often deal with landowners). this is just a nanny state rule.

I've read this a couple of times now and I'm not sure it actually says no garmin use full stop. i don't think that would be fair as a lot of people use them just for tracking time, distance etc. i don't wear a watch so i need it to know when to have a gel. i cant see them policing 1200 people when a huge portion would use a garmin.

And the routes are televised, and published, so what is the big deal, really .... not that I am a participant but if would certainly miff me if I was and I couldn't use my Garmin 800.

The first thing I do when I get back from a race or a day out cycling, is upload to Garmin Connect and review the data / re-live the experience, often to check out land features.

Dont worry, in a year or 2 Mr Vermaak and his Money making buddies, will just just take ur 50K, and u will have to ride the epic at home on your Tacx trainer infront of your TV, Then they will come upload your ride.... Because you are not allowed to...!!!! :ph34r:

I've read this a couple of times now and I'm not sure it actually says no garmin use full stop. i don't think that would be fair as a lot of people use them just for tracking time, distance etc. i don't wear a watch so i need it to know when to have a gel. i cant see them policing 1200 people when a huge portion would use a garmin.

That's fine, though. As long as you don't upload the details, which then gives you and others downloadable GPX files showing you where to ride. Often over private land.

The route is public - the route maps are in the Epic Route guides for fans etc.

Stupid rule - you pay so much to ride and then can't track your adventure.

Why not upload to whatever site you use and set the ride to private...

The organisers have the right to do what they want affording you the right to either agree and participate or not. That said I cannot follow an argument that somebody is searching for a route on Strava and plans to ride it through obviously private land. If they want to ride 'virgin' track Google earth will probably allow them to easily work out the details themselves. It seems like making the argument to ban lead because it could be used in bullets which could be shot from a gun which could ...

Edited by Live5

Live gps tracking for tracking the rider positions stage to stage, yes. But that is on the media side of things, controlled y Epic themselves. They're forbidding GPS tracking devices like garmin etc and from uploading them to the sites so that private land stays just that - private.

YES!!! EXACTLY this issue has lead to a trail closure from last year's Epic...all those stravassholes were directly esponsible!!