Why is a left hand turn easier?

I read somewhere that you must concentrate on twisting your knees in towards the apex of the turn, this automatically moves your hips to the right position.

I find this helps me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am left handed & struggeling more with left hand turns.

Usually lead with right foot, but I am constantly reminding myself to lead left foot whenever possible. Sometimes 'finding out' halfway down a nice single track when thinking about it.

Will see how this helps on some tight turns.

Never thought of the hips turned into the corner.

Why is it easier for me to execute a tight left turn on a single track? I find it much more difficult to go right. I thought it was because I am right handed and my right leg (outside leg on the turn) is dominant and therefore I have more control, but today I spoke to a left handed cycling buddy and he has the same problem.

I surf left foot forward and uncleat left first.

Don't think about it. Just flow.

practice changing your pedal position for cornering: outside pedal down, inside pedal up. So turning to the left, you will have your left pedal up and your right pedal down.

Be sure to be having most of your weight on the outside pedal. If you do this correctly, the bike should lean toward the inside.

I'll bet that your pedal swopping is not as efficient turning to the right as turning to the left.

What he said.....sums it up perfectly.

Thanks for all the advice, but I failed to mention that my main problem is going uphill where you have to continue pedalling through the turn, failing which you will loose momentum and tumble over.

Outside pedal down and keeping pressure on that pedal certainly helps when you go downhill or have enough momentum to go through the bend without the need to pedal.

Great topic. I also battle with right turns, whether going up or down, so the advice of posters here is very welcome.

Thanks for all the advice, but I failed to mention that my main problem is going uphill where you have to continue pedalling through the turn, failing which you will loose momentum and tumble over.

Outside pedal down and keeping pressure on that pedal certainly helps when you go downhill or have enough momentum to go through the bend without the need to pedal.

You need momentum going into the turn, like I said, try dropping your shoulder and elbow slightly and look through the turn.

Hey this is a great topic. . The turning right switchback (downhill) is an issue for me too. I am taking notes.

Edited by Gen

I'm not sure what the reason is but I had the same kind of thing for years on motorbikes, I could barrel through left handers far more confidently than right hand bends.

Possibly because on a left hand bend you are controlling, in the majority of cases, the bike with your dominant or stronger side?

ok, that changes things quite a bit. But what happens when you turn right? what is the actual problem you are experiencing? Take us through how you typically take a right hand corner versus a left hand one.

Your three friends....momentum(carry speed, as much as you can...gyro forces will keep you stable instead of moering over), centre of gravity(make as low as possible by getting out of the saddle and transferring weight to pedals), tyre pressure(more traction or purchase will give you more grip so run as low as you can without compromising rim)

Oh and a sprinkle of practise

I have the same problem on my motorcycle ( on various motorcycles , for the past ? years ) . The problem mainly occurs when I get going from fuel stations. Sometimes I need to ride a complete circle to avoid turning to the right hand side .

Guest Omega Man

I am left handed & struggeling more with left hand turns.

Usually lead with right foot, but I am constantly reminding myself to lead left foot whenever possible. Sometimes 'finding out' halfway down a nice single track when thinking about it.

Will see how this helps on some tight turns.

Never thought of the hips turned into the corner.

I'm the same. Left handed and surf goofy. (right foot forward) I'm also stronger/faster/more confident/looser through right handers. I think it's more to do with which foot you lead with rather than being left handed. I also like to hang the right leg off more than i do the left.

Even on my dirtbike I'd notice that I was stronger through right handers and my foot positioning on the footpegs would be slightly goofy.

I've never tried swapping my feet for corners. Maybe I should try this.

One thing that may be useful to try apart from all the above mentioned. When you want to turn to the left, try initiating the turn by turning your front wheel to the right. Just a slight movement, hardly noticeable, but it will result in the bike leaning to the left. The once this happens, as you lean with it, the front wheel will straighten by itself and like magic you will be turning to the left. And you'll be railing it.

Slightly counterintuitive, but it does work. The problem is you can't initiate a turn at speed to the left by turning the front wheel to the left as this throws you off balance and the front wheel will want to slide out.

You might find that if you are turning much better to the right that this may be the missing move you may be doing without even realising.

On a serious note......and just throwing something in to further consider.

The action of maintaining balance is a reflex action in the body. Any movement that upsets this reflex results in a corrective action by the body. Your body's perception of balance is controlled by various organs and the nervous systems in the body.Nature has given us certain sensors which are spread in different parts of the body. These sensors pick up the information and constantly inform the brain about the stability of the ground and the surroundings via afferent neural pathways (such as the labyrinth system located in the inner ear). This system can be developed/trained/improved with proper training interventions and experiences.

Balancing requires the muscles of the body to move in response to the sensation of motion. The vestibular nuclei are important way-stations for processing motion information. As soon as motion is detected, the nuclei send out signals to the body to help counterbalance the movement. These vestibular reflexes are the bodily movements that provide balance. The vestibular reflexes are grouped into three main categories: vestibulo-ocular reflexes for controlling eye movements; vestibulocolic reflexes for managing neck and head position and movement, and vestibulospinal reflexes for controlling the position and motion of the arms and legs. To coordinate all these reflexes into smooth movement, there is a separate center in the brain, the cerebellum, which receives input from the ears, eyes, neck and limbs and is in turn able to modify the reflexes. The entire system of sensors, nerves, and brain circuits is called the vestibular system.

You might experience that you are uncomfortable with right turns due to your body's feedback mechanisms regarding balance.....and remember that you are in motion which makes it even more accentuated. You want to correct yourself the whole time although no correction is needed. The human body is a creature of acquired skills enforced by repetition. Try "reprogramming" your body's "balance software" by doing just right hand turning skill rides (figure of eights).....and with that your skill will also improve. Alternatively play on a playpark roundabout simulating the right turn at high speed......with adequate body lean just for show. :thumbup:

Edited by BarHugger