Stolen Bike - Silverback Detroit

NIK-NAK

EFT is still cool. As long as you still do the normal checks. IE: Confirm your bank balance, see if it registers as available, and then phone the bank to check if it was a cash deposit / EFT / whatever. Either that, or watch the oke do the transfer in front of you. Actually logging into the bank, putting in all the info and then hitting the send button after receiving the OTP. Then check your account to confirm...

Yup i'll make sure!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it... Please just let me know of anything you may hear or see. I have sold SO many things on The Hub and Gumtree and never had an issue before... Probably let my guard down just a little bit and then the bloody bugger got me. Makes me feel sick!!!

Chin up dude. Rest assured that you're not the only one to fall to a scam like this...

Doesn't make it any easier, I know... But still.

Do you at least ahve insurance on it?

Nope, didn't take out insurance as I only just bought it in at end of January from a fellow hubber. Plan was to ride it a bit before Argus and then use it on the day. Was selling now in order to buy a TT bike for triathlon (which now I cannot do) :thumbdown:

I am hoping it pops up somewhere

Nope, didn't take out insurance as I only just bought it in at end of January from a fellow hubber. Plan was to ride it a bit before Argus and then use it on the day. Was selling now in order to buy a TT bike for triathlon (which now I cannot do) :thumbdown:

GAAAAAAH!!! No..... that's just wrong...

Pop into Neil's Wheels and all the cash crusaders/pawn shops in the area. Worth a try...

Pop into Neil's Wheels and all the cash crusaders/pawn shops in the area. Worth a try...

Yes, already went into Neils Wheels yesterday afternoon. Nothing there yet. A friend of mine had a bike stolen about two years ago and it popped up there within two days!

Next time, just put the bike on your house contents insurance as a specified item, takes a 5 min call and at least your covered with minimal change in policy cost. Especially as you are buying, using and selling on a short term basis. Once you sell the bike, you just notify that is no longer needed on the policy.

I would still check the fine print of your house contents insurance.

Sucks bro hope you get bike back.. :thumbup:

If you actually going to meet a buyer might aswell leave the deal to COD.. no point in EFT id you meeting him.

+ that way i can say lets meet @ SAPS so i can check the cash( even though some buyers might think its cheeky)... and if he starts to stutter ,you get a sense of what style they are.. ;)

Next time, just put the bike on your house contents insurance as a specified item, takes a 5 min call and at least your covered with minimal change in policy cost. Especially as you are buying, using and selling on a short term basis. Once you sell the bike, you just notify that is no longer needed on the policy.

I would still check the fine print of your house contents insurance.

I do actually have it under house insurance... but am I not correct in saying that the bike will have had to be physically stolen from my house? Would this case of fraud count? Might give it a shot

Sorry bro. REAL sucky situation to be in! Buggers!

I think in future, I will make contact to potential buyers from my wife's phone and not provide my number. If the scammer then sends the EFT notification to the number he thinks is mine...boom! scam averted!

Sorry bro. REAL sucky situation to be in! Buggers!

I think in future, I will make contact to potential buyers from my wife's phone and not provide my number. If the scammer then sends the EFT notification to the number he thinks is mine...boom! scam averted!

Yes, that will be what I do as well!

Selling three bikes at the moment, no cash no deal. Also will profile the buyer if legit or not. Will also do a racetec check on the guy.

Selling three bikes at the moment, no cash no deal. Also will profile the buyer if legit or not. Will also do a racetec check on the guy.

What will racetec check tell you?