Commute

Angel

Angel, I live in P'town as well and commute to work almost everyday by "baie sukkel".  Maybe we can team up.  Been commuting in city centre traffic for 5 years now.  Very little problems in general.  Just every now and then you will have some "dikgat oomie" or "Philemon" in his bat mobiel that has a go at you, but you just need to be sharp and everything is alright.  One should be sharp in anyway on SA roads, regardless of what you are traveling in or on.

Ek het vanoggend werk toe gery met die fiets. Dink dit moet nogal snaaks wees om 'n ou met 'n Das en langmou hemp te sien fietsry erk toe. Gelukkig bly ek baie naby aan die werk op die stadium

Well, glad to report that all went well yesterday on my way home. Only problem that I had was with motorists not using indicators when turning.  Must say, it's a great feeling swooshing past all the vehicles standing in a looooong queue waiting for the light to turn green!! No wonder it takes me under 10 minutes longer by bike than by car to get to work! 

Bateleur, do you travel down in Pretoriusstreet?

Once I get a job with better working hours I'll be commuting quite a lot

You can always try my hours:

08H00 - 16H00

or

16H00 - 00H00

Or

00H00 - 08H00

And on most weekends:

08H00 - 20H00

or

20H00 - 08H00

Commuting by bike is generally the best way to get to and from work in any city.  Only issues arise where there are freeways and no alternative routes.  I have been commuting for 20 years and only been knocked over once with minor injuries.  Biggest issue is motorised vehicles turning left when you are travelling straight.  I generally indicate I am travelling straight and move into the middle of the lane.

I stay in Alberton and work in Sandton. Hectic enough to dodge the taxis in my car. Won't dare to be on that road with my bike.

Waht route do you take IanC?  I work in Sandton as well and try to commute once a week.  OK, I have to leave early, but no problems with traffic!

I've been commuting from Parklands to Kenilworth in Cape Town for the past few months after following the advice of fellow hubbers, and it's been generally pleasant. It takes around 20mins longer for a return trip by bicycle and helps quite a bit with training. Just 3 days commuting puts 160km's in to the training log. Minor incidents with taxi's and the odd car, but nothing to write home about.

I agree with Fatty - it is almost like getting some training for free. not that my commute is particularly far - Somerset West to Stellenbosch.

I try to ride at least twice a week in to work.

I did it the Friday and my goodness it was fun. It's only about 15k's and I did it on my Mtb, I have worked out so that I do about 70% off-road. Very nice, got a bit dirty going thru the muddy bits but come spring/summer it'll be dry, definitely considering it...I was bonny hopping over crap in the road, zig zagging thru the painted lines/cars/ppl and climbing / jumping on and off side walks, man it was awesome, took me just 30mintes to work which is just about the same time it takes me by car.smiley14.gif<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now that I have started training again, I am riding home (and obviously back the next mrning) 2 evenings per week. At the moment I only have a Mtb (road bike out on loan to a needy cyclist), but almost prefer to commute on the Mtb. If I hear something big coming up behind on a busy road, I can just hop off the road onto the gravel or pavement, hopefully out of harms way.

I work in Maitland and live in Marina da Gama and really enjoy the longer route over Constantia Nek and Suikerbossie. Gives me 50km. Once a bit fitter I will start going over Chappies which will add another 20km.

The fat Falcon is going to flying again soon smiley1.gif