helmet recommendations please

MK Killer

Hi - I have had a standard run of the mill Bell helmet for over 2 years now and its done the job perfectly but its life is sadly almost over.

I am uninformed so do not understand the benefits of a 2k+ helmet over the lower range? Therefore I would like a recommendation of what the best helmet is below 1k and where to buy it.

If you think a helmet costing more than this is undoubtably much more beneficial I too would appreciate your views

Edit - MTB specific

Edited by MK Killer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its worth anything, My dad bought a Helmet at the expo for R440. Come the Argus, a gust of wind pushed another cyclist into him causing him to go down and hit the road head first. After a thorough inspection, there was not even a scratch or crack, Niks. Best R440 he ever spent, It looks good and well ventilated too. I think it was at the Rapid Sport stand.

Edited by Winstonian1984

My hubby has the catlike vacuum.. think that may work with your budget.. he loves his helmet. Shees not Sure where you can get it.. he got his while we were visiting the in laws in kloof.

I have the spez prevail and it's awesome.. my head doesn't get hot so it's nicely ventilated and very very light, but that's more than what you want to spend.

Edited by Gen

If its worth anything, My dad bought a Helmet at the expo for R440. Come the Argus, a gust of wind pushed another cyclist into him causing him to go down and hit the road head first. After a thorough inspection, there was not even a scratch or crack, Niks. Best R440 he ever spent, It looks good and well ventilated too. I think it was at the Rapid Sport stand.

I also got one for same price same store looks nice thou

glad helmet worked well for your dad

Sorry if I missed this in the posts above .... MTB or Roadie helmet?

Rapid Sports in CT do a rather awesome ETTO helmet for R440.00 that is light, decently vented, looks good, fits well and is also not a mushroom on your head with a nice low profile.

Rapid Sports in CT do a rather awesome ETTO helmet for R440.00 that is light, decently vented, looks good, fits well and is also not a mushroom on your head with a nice low profile.

Edited - mtb specific

Best value in my mind is a Rudy Sterling or Zuma. My current helmet is a Kask Mojito and its the comfiest I have had so far. I had a Spez Prevail before and found it not to have adequate padding IMO. Kask is presently on sale at CWC for R1750.

I had a Giro MTB helmet, made me look like those mushroom characters in Mario Bros. The Rapid sport helmet I got as well looks sleek and is very comfortable.

I also got one for same price same store looks nice thou

glad helmet worked well for your dad

Yes it did, he still managed to finish looking like a cool cat, cramps and all.

My experience is that you pay more for less weight and more adjustability, which generally equates to more comfort. i dont think there is any difference in safety/protection between mid & high end.

There used to be a clear distinction between road & mtb helmets in terms of shape, where the protection was etc, it seems to be less so now. I use same helmet for both.

I have a Kask Mojito which i am very happy with, it has replaced a Giro Atmos which also did its job very well.

I think the Met mid range helmets are good value.

Good luck.