helmet recommendations please

MK Killer

when I chatted to them they said they brought in a couple of thousand of the helmets ..... and there is no middle man involved too so the end user benefits.

I have just emailed them - and got back R540 including delivery to JHB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just emailed them - and got back R540 including delivery to JHB

Cool, so R30 more than the helmets posted to JHB last year then.

Being in CT is rather cool .... we also got a group discount of R40 per helmet as we walked in and paid cash too ... so for our group we ended up at R400 per helmet.

If its worth anything, My dad bought a Helmet at the expo for R440. Come the Argus, a gust of wind pushed another cyclist into him causing him to go down and hit the road head first. After a thorough inspection, there was not even a scratch or crack, Niks. Best R440 he ever spent, It looks good and well ventilated too. I think it was at the Rapid Sport stand.

Yebo, they are awesome and the lightest in the range comes in at 230g. to get that weight you need to fork out at least ZAR 1,500 +

You can get them from Rapid Sport in Cape Town.

Edited by Dick

Hi

I understand the diff between a1k and 2k helmet is weight rather than actual additional safety benefits.

Having said that I have only 1 head and I will do anything to protect it hence bought the best helmets I could afford.

I had a giro atmos great helmet now have spez prevail for the rd and a fox 661 for the mountain, these are both fantastic helmets and highly recommended.

I have seen the POC which looks pretty interesting.

plus one on the Etto helmet. And I don't even have one.

I like Uvex helmets and how they sit on my head, but alas, they don't have a local distributor anymore.

PhilipV - I agree, found that they suit my head better than most! I just bought a Uvex lid from cycle lab in Jhb - maybe check out CL Cape Town if you haven't already, or ask the Jhb team to ship you one? I bought mine about a month ago and they had several lines to chose from.

Bought a Lazer O2 on sale last year, by far the most comfortable lid I've had. My measure is do I forget about it or am I constantly fiddling instead of enjoying the ride

when I chatted to them they said they brought in a couple of thousand of the helmets ..... and there is no middle man involved too so the end user benefits.

I know. Was just making joke :D

Go to a shop and try on every helmet they have there. Shake your head and jump up and down. Hit the helmet with your hands, top and sides to feel if there are any spots that could bother you during a longer ride. Dont look at the price as much as the comfort of the fit.

I ride a Specialized S3 which is a great XC helmet, but maybe not the best trail/All mountain helmet as it does not offer a huge amount of protection behind your head. Otherwise the Specialized helmets are super comfortable and they have a huge range of helmets. I tried all, Met, Giro, Bell and Specialized and decided on the Spez in the end as the fit was great.

Go try before you buy in the shop and don't let the salesperson sell you something more expensive, but less comfortable. It's your head, use what's in it while you still have :P

Go try before you buy in the shop and don't let the salesperson sell you something more expensive, but less comfortable. It's your head, use what's in it while you still have :P

Yeah that's my reservation on buying a helmet online - the fit. Looking for a new helmet now that a) being a bit braver and riding more scary stuff b) the strap is coming off current one.

Sorry if I missed this in the posts above .... MTB or Roadie helmet?

Rapid Sports in CT do a rather awesome ETTO helmet for R440.00 that is light, decently vented, looks good, fits well and is also not a mushroom on your head with a nice low profile.

I like mine a lot!!

Also bought one of these helmets when was at the expo, comfy fit.

The guy said they buy them in from China, as well as all the road helmets they had on display there.

All solid quality both the mtb and road helmets

I like mine a lot!!

Seems to be the general consensus... even though all our koppe are different sizes and shapes. I personally know five Jhb guys who are now using the Etto.

The only issue I had with it was a missing elastic to secure the excess chin strap. This can cause the strap to loosen and to sometimes pull right out, particularly after heavy sweating. Obviously remedied with a small elastic...

We should try get a group order for Jhb and see if we get a discount like the guys in the Cape did

I'd be in for 2 of them.