Tractor

Updated order:

Corvus x 1

davetapson x 1

Bloss x 1

MarkC x 1

Frost48 x 1

5 down and 5 to go.

Remember the deal guys; R440 for the helmet and R15 postage per helmet, R455 for a kick ass lid BUT we need to order 10 helmets at a time

I am in for 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corvus x 1

davetapson x 1

Bloss x 1

MarkC x 1

Frost48 x 1

V12man x 1

6 down and 4 to go

I'll have an orange one - smaller size. Send me the bank details pls.

I bought the orange one a few weeks ago. Its well made bar the interior padding which looks like an afterthought. The straps have clever adjustment clips and the peak can be adjusted upwards and out of the way if needs be. Its light, breaths well and the fit is good - the rear strap tightens low on your skull preventing the helmet from tipping forward or back. Not as much coverage as Bell Super but then it costs about 1/6th the price!

are these helmets certified? I came across this article that showed another Etto product that failed the safety test

http://www.copenhage...-safety-at.html

Did you read the rest of the article??

I got one, and I feel more protected than my Kask!!

Okay, with all this said, let's add some grains of salt.

The Danish Consumer Council have little knowledge of helmets and their limitations. They merely look at the European Union standard, EN1078, and test the helmets to see if they meet the requirements. They don't even have a test facility themselves, instead outsourcing to a German facility. They do not question the fact that the EU standard is one of the weakest in the world or that the phelmet industry is involved in deciding the standards. Which is kind of like the tobacco industry sitting at the table when health warnings and smoking laws are decided upon.

They don't question the fact that helmets are only tested for impact on the top of the helmet and not on the sides or front or back and that they don't protect against dangerous rotational injuries. All of this is perhaps more of an issue for The Danish Council of Ethics and similar councils abroad.

The article itself is from a freebie newspaperand the journalist clearly just copy/pasted it together inbetween sipping coffee and checking his emails. He quotes the usual suspects from the Danish Road Safety Council - again, a council that doesn't have any scientific experience - or respect for science - and runs campaigns based on projecting their own perception on fear onto the population at large rather than using facts or worrying about the negative effects of helmet promotion. For example, as the European Council of Ministers of Transport have said in their report "National Policies to Promote Cycling":

"Though helmets are widely accepted as reducing the severity of head injuries, the issue of mandatory requirements for helmet use has been controversial for a long time. PROMISING, a research project commissioned by the European Union and coordinated by the SWOV Institute for Road Safety Research (2001), suggests that from the point of view of restrictiveness, even the official promotion of helmets may have negative consequences for bicycle use, and that to prevent helmets having a negative effect on the use of bicycles, the best approach is to leave the promotion of helmet wear to manufacturers and shopkeepers. "

They carry the EN 1078 euro certification if the sticker inside is to be believed. Most helmets offer similar protection and tests have shown that dirt cheap helmets offer no worse protection than really expensive ones.

I don't feel as protected than my stolen Urge Enduro lid, but that would be hard bearing in mind the coverage that thing has...

I'll have an orange one - smaller size. Send me the bank details pls.

One of my mates wants a large ( the bigger size 57 - 60) black/green. Please add that to my order. I'll PM as well.

Corvus x 1

davetapson x 2

Bloss x 1

MarkC x 1

Frost48 x 1

V12man x 2

Killer_Bean x 1

9 down and 1 to go

Archived