Steepest hills thread??

Mads

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an innocuous jeep track on the Meerendal trail. If you're looking for something steep in the area then try hillcrest red (http://www.strava.com/segments/2289519) or the track to the mast at the top of contermanskloof (http://www.strava.com/segments/2407858) both of which are over 20% at it's steepest. Both are jeep track climbs with challenging surfaces.

I got 27% on the steepest section of the Contemans mast climb.

Lots of research right here for the next Last Man Standing ride.... Gonna reference this post! Great thread!

Mads, next time you venture slightly outside WC region, spare yourself a sleep over at either side and go enjoy the Swartbergpas. Such an awesome ride and that entrance from Prins Albert side is just... well, words can't capture it. It makes you realise the greatness of the creation when you ride in between those walls of mountain either side. And such different beauty than what we're used to.

You'll thank me later. And stuff Strava for that ride, just enjoy it - stop and take pics! :thumbup:

Maritime Reaction Squadron Hill: 1.5 km - 10% avg, rough surface and lots of switch backs, near Red Hill

There are some 500m sections on Redhill that range between 21-26% gradient.

Can I test your patience with all my noob questions? That would be from Simonstown side? Did it the other day but cant remember it being that steep? Sjoe!

What is the climb like from Scarborough side?

Lots of research right here for the next Last Man Standing ride.... Gonna reference this post! Great thread!

I was thinking set of from Muizenberg going over Ou Kaapse Weg (from Tokai), then head on to Chappies and Suikerbos and over. U-Turn and do it in reverse. Then over Boyes drive, head down to Red Hill, back down and over Black Hill (back down) and home over Boyes Drive from the other side.

I tried that last week but ran out of legs but might be back in CPT coming weekend and have another go!

A lot of people don’t know about it and pass right by on their rides. Going north it is between the Red Hill junction and the Dido Valley road. There is no sign only an opening in the retaining wall. It looks like something you would not want to take a road bike up, but is fine. The is no Scarborough side although if you turn left at the top you tie into the Red Hill. Top part is the steepest 18%

I was thinking set of from Muizenberg going over Ou Kaapse Weg (from Tokai), then head on to Chappies and Suikerbos and over. U-Turn and do it in reverse. Then over Boyes drive, head down to Red Hill, back down and over Black Hill (back down) and home over Boyes Drive from the other side.

I tried that last week but ran out of legs but might be back in CPT coming weekend and have another go!

Did this ride in Jan of last year and followed this route.

Start at VA in Green Point. Up GlenGariff Road in Sea Point to Ocean View Drive. Left on Ocean View towards town coming down Strand Street. Right on Long Street and up Kloof Road through the steep section joining Kloofnek continue to the top of nek. Down the Glen into Camps Bay. Left up Geneva Drive climbing that to Camps Bay Drive. Right on that and back down into Camps heading towards Llandudno. Over back of Suikerbossie into Hout Bay. Left and climb to the top of Constantia Nek. (For an extra tough piece am tempted to include a run over this and tackle Price Drive before heading back). Back into Hout Bay and over Chappies into Noordhoek. Left onto Silvermine Road and the quick short punch up that before turn right on Ou Kaapse and back to Sun Valley. Over Black Hill towards Simon's town, to the crest of Red Hill and back down. Left and then the loop up Naval Hill and back down to the Main Road. Left and over Boyes Drive. Left in Westlake and over Ou Kaapse on the steep side. Over Chappies and Suikerbossie. Up the Glen to the top of Signal Hill and then back across Kloof Nek to the Cable Car station and finally drag some seriously dead legs back to the start at VA in Green Point.

Edited by Tubehunter

Avoid going down Redhill past the informal settlement if you are alone.Its a hotspot for hijackings.

Start at VA in Green Point. Up GlenGariff Road in Sea Point to Ocean View Drive. Left on Ocean View towards town coming down Strand Street. Right on Long Street and up Kloof Road through the steep section joining Kloofnek continue to the top of nek. Down the Glen into Camps Bay. Left up Geneva Drive climbing that to Camps Bay Drive. Right on that and back down into Camps heading towards Llandudno. Over back of Suikerbossie into Hout Bay. Left and climb to the top of Constantia Nek. (For an extra tough piece am tempted to include a run over this and tackle Price Drive before heading back). Back into Hout Bay and over Chappies into Noordhoek. Left onto Silvermine Road and the quick short punch up that before turn right on Ou Kaapse and back to Sun Valley. Over Black Hill towards Simon's town, to the crest of Red Hill and back down. Left and then the loop up Naval Hill and back down to the Main Road. Left and over Boyes Drive. Left in Westlake and over Ou Kaapse on the steep side. Over Chappies and Suikerbossie. Up the Glen to the top of Signal Hill and then back across Kloof Nek to the Cable Car station and finally drag some seriously dead legs back to the start at VA in Green Point.

As I remember everyone peeled off along the route and you were the only one that finished.

ouch?

As I remember everyone peeled off along the route and you were the only one that finished.

The rest of the crew bugged out when we got to Lakeside due to time committments!. I soldiered on and was feeling properly out of it heading up Chappies towards Hout Bay when I came up on an elderly chap riding with a 'limp'. Got chatting and found out he had been in an bicycle vs car accident about 8 weeks earlier and broke his back. Was his first ride after that event, even though he was not supposed to be doing much as he could hardly walk, but after a brief tester spin, he put on his kit and went for a ride. Did Chappies and Suikerbossie chatting to him and this is what motivated me to finish. Wouldn't have happened otherwise... Properly tough ride!

Edited by Tubehunter