Steepest hills thread??

Mads

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid going down Redhill past the informal settlement if you are alone.Its a hotspot for hijackings.

Much appreciated!!!

Upper Bloem St climb from Tamboerskloof up Lions Head must rate as one of the steeper climbs around Cape Town. Its only 700m, but it really kicks up. Strava has it at 16.9%, but that's on an iphone, so probably not that accurate.

Edited by Polo

Bit off topic but someone just gave me the book: 'Froome:The ride of his life' and this is from the first chapter.

"You know when you are in the peloton you come near the Ventoux - nobody speaks anymore, you can hear a fly, because it's always very quiet because everybody's afraid about the Ventoux...." Eddy Merckx

"Not a word. Nothing is more impressive than a silent peloton. Nobody says a word, nobody laughs. Lifting your head slightly, you can make out the shape in the distance, through the mist, of the Ventoux..... You can smell the fear of the men going to a lingering death." Louison Bobet

From watching TDF, Giro and Vuelta I think Vuelta tops the list with steepest climbs. When you see guys like Berto and Purito going so slow it seems they looking for parking, then you know its something out of the hurtlocker.

Upper Bloem St climb from Tamboerskloof up Lions Head must rate as one of the steeper climbs around Cape Town. Its only 700m, but it really kicks up. Strava has it at 16.9%, but that's on an iphone, so probably not that accurate.

I think you should try Long market street up to where it ends at the army camp. The cobbles are one way down, but the folks in the area are pretty chilled and traffic is low. Start at Buitengracht street.

From watching TDF, Giro and Vuelta I think Vuelta tops the list with steepest climbs. When you see guys like Berto and Purito going so slow it seems they looking for parking, then you know its something out of the hurtlocker.

Tougher from the gradient perspective I agree but according to Robbie Hunter what makes the Tour the toughest thing in cycling is the pace. And I think that's got to do with the vibe and masses coming out to support it. It's something I picked up following Darryl' blog in his first Tour. "Hectic doesn't begin to describe it". He went on to try describe the hype around it saying there's nothing like it.

Hunter reckons, ".... it's one thing to push yourself to your own limits. But at the Tour, you pushing yourself to someone else's limits. And you do that every single day. By week one you are fatigued. By week two, your body just wants to shut down. That's what makes the Tour the hardest thing in cycling by far..."

Mads, next time you venture slightly outside WC region, spare yourself a sleep over at either side and go enjoy the Swartbergpas. Such an awesome ride and that entrance from Prins Albert side is just... well, words can't capture it. It makes you realise the greatness of the creation when you ride in between those walls of mountain either side. And such different beauty than what we're used to.

You'll thank me later. And stuff Strava for that ride, just enjoy it - stop and take pics! :thumbup:

I agree, Swartbergpass is MAGICAL. Riding it in middle of summer at 40 deg C is brutal, but oh so rewarding!!

Where is this place?

Very dangerous to ride. I had my most scariest moment on a bike there. It is a single lane on both sides. The trucks use the road often. Immediatly next to the road is a knee high wall which stops you from going off the road to make way for any vehicle what so ever. Two trucks passing each other and with you on the left hand - stuck between the wall and a wheel that looks you in the eye almost rubbing your shoulders .............................

But apart from that it is an absolute awesome ride.

But be on the lookout.

That climb to the Contermans Kloof mast made me get off and walk every time :blush:

I dont walk.....

I might hang over my handlebars gasping for any form of oxygen to fill my lungs, bursting of absolute exhaustion for a few minutes before I can go on............., but I dont walk.

pm for location (about 2 hours drive from cpt): 2.3km at 15% gradient (and there's a 5km 7% climb to get to the start point)

There's also the Tokai mast climb (first half dirt, rest is tar): 10.2km at 8% gradient which strava classifies as HC

sounds like jonas se kop

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about official gradient, but Blue Valley Ave in Hout Bay must be one of the steepest around.

Where does Franschhoek climb from (the dam side) fit in? I always die on that climb, it seems to go on for years.

Does anyone have the distance and gradient of Rusty Gate, Epic stage 5?

Epic website says 5 km at an average of 10%.

Edited by Newboy