The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

I bought two running hydrationpacks from nativesport. Was delivered in Pretoria at my office the next day!

Their sale they have currently is awesome

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two running hydrationpacks from nativesport. Was delivered in Pretoria at my office the next day!

Their sale they have currently is awesome

Awesome sale! I saved almost as much as I paid.

Just a brief lesson, went for a run a couple weeks ago, misjudged time, distance, route and nutrition all in one savage go!

Basically left home just after 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, from Rhodes Memorial to Kirstenbosch and up Skeleton Gorge, up to Maclears and across to Platteklip Gorge. Things started going south from there when I realized I needed food so went to the Cableway Station which had closed already, by the time got down from the top and hit Tafelberg Road it was dark, pulled out the headlight and batteries started dying, ended up getting home at 9pm, in the dark all the way from Tafelberg down to Rhodes Memorial and finally getting home, worst experience ever!

Moral of the story, make sure you check the route, tell people where you going, don't think you are too tough to phone a friend for a lift, check batteries and make sure you have enough sustenance! 

Things could have ended up vastly different if something had happened but luckily I still get to run and ride another day!

Lesson over!

lesson(s) learnt, don't f#$ with the mountain! things can get way hairier up there than you think.

http://trailmag.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Table-Mountain-vs-Everest-deaths.png

If you order in the morning, you will have it the next day

Sweet! A friend of mine waited 4 so thats why I'm wondering...

lesson(s) learnt, don't f#$ with the mountain! things can get way hairier up there than you think.

http://trailmag.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Table-Mountain-vs-Everest-deaths.png

Yip, plus the dangerous reasoning of, it'll never happen to me, i'm not that stupid!

Ultra-trail Cape Town 2015 registration opens today :-)

100km - 4400m

65km - 3000m

20km - 900m

3rd October 2015

Maybe the 65km as a goal for 2015? Should take around 10h or something...

Did the 65 last year...and its more than 3000m,more like 3400 if I remember correctly.

Crazy crazy run but so amazing to run/or crawl those mountains..

Will be back this year as its my 40th birthday on the 3rd so what a way to celebrate!!

Hi Guys

I have done a fair amount of running throughout last year but all of the running was done on road. I now want to start trail running as well.

I was thinking of going to Groenkloof but I have never been there and just want some more info.

How much does it cost?

Are the trails tough / can a beginner run there?

Is it safe?

Apart for the aforesaid any other tips will be appreciated.

Thanks

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Hi Guys

I have done a fair amount of running throughout last year but all of the running was done on road. I now want to start trail running as well.

I was thinking of going to Groenkloof but I have never been there and just want some more info.

How much does it cost?

Are the trails tough / can a beginner run there?

Is it safe?

Apart for the aforesaid any other tips will be appreciated.

Thanks

Its R45 a person to run / hike.

Trails are a good mix, the 3km route is pretty easy, 10 km route is pretty technical at the start and finish.

Safe but as always be vigilant when running close to the fences

Hi All, just a quick question...are trial running shoes generally 'tighter fitting than regular road running shoes?

Or is Asics just smaller than usual? (edit: the UK size 8 Asics feels too tight, or should I give it time to 'stretch a bit"?)

Thanks

Edited by Ed-Zulu