The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

i secured my Otter entry for 2015 and was looking at hydration packs. Any body that want to get rid of their Salamon 12l Slab hydration pack??

Why a Salomon hydration pack? Plenty of other suitable packs in the market such as Ultraspire and Osprey. I'm actually going to get myself the Osprey Rev 12 which can also double as hydration pack for MTBing.

Had a lovely couple of trail runs in Sabie over New Year and came across Dennis Lawrie setting up the route for the SA Trail champs at the end of the month.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

I am sure there are formulas and structured plans out there however my advise would be to take it slowly and incorporate some walking at the start, always take the distance increase slower than you think.  As cyclists we want to increase distance quickly but you risk your knees, hips and feet not coping with dramatic increases in distance.

Thx for that reminder to take the distance increases slower than I want to.

Messed up my knee last time. Serious ITB.

Lekker thread this! I just asked in the other running thread about trail running shoes - presuming this will be a much better place to ask. 

For starters, when do you feel one should get a pair of trail running shoes as well? My road shoes is quite (in my limited knowledge) aggressive ito thread. But the moment I'm hitting anything loose-ish, I just spin. So seriously starting to think about getting a pair. Started running in the mountain (Paarl mountain) recently and simply loving it! 

But my other question - how well do they last on tar? I do have a couple of k's to the mountain on the closest entrance to me - and have to run across most of Paarl to get to the other entrance (or return from there). 

Lekker thread this! I just asked in the other running thread about trail running shoes - presuming this will be a much better place to ask. 

For starters, when do you feel one should get a pair of trail running shoes as well? My road shoes is quite (in my limited knowledge) aggressive ito thread. But the moment I'm hitting anything loose-ish, I just spin. So seriously starting to think about getting a pair. Started running in the mountain (Paarl mountain) recently and simply loving it! 

But my other question - how well do they last on tar? I do have a couple of k's to the mountain on the closest entrance to me - and have to run across most of Paarl to get to the other entrance (or return from there).

Normal road shoes should be ok for gravel, but as soon as it gets a bit rougher, get proper trail shoes. Also, stick to the same brand as you use on the road.

Why a Salomon hydration pack? Plenty of other suitable packs in the market such as Ultraspire and Osprey. I'm actually going to get myself the Osprey Rev 12 which can also double as hydration pack for MTBing.

Had a lovely couple of trail runs in Sabie over New Year and came across Dennis Lawrie setting up the route for the SA Trail champs at the end of the month.

I used my brothers Salomon hydration pack and it fits perfectly. 

For me I won't consider anything but a race vest type pack if you're a serious trail runner looking to do longer training runs and races where you need to carry more gear.

Mtb packs are fine but the fit, adjustment, access etc is just not on the same level.

look for the Camelbak XTC, 3lt hydration pack with arms around the waist for hold. Works very well, cycling or running. Looks sort of like an X on your back.

Saucony Peregrin or Xodus shoes are absolutely amazing.

There is a 20km trail run North of Pretoria on 18th Jan.

http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?GoTo=EventInfo&EventID=4373

There is a 20km trail run North of Pretoria on 18th Jan.

http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?GoTo=EventInfo&EventID=4373

There is also a 20km trail run at Avianto the same day.

http://www.ilumin8events.com/biogen-resolution-trail-run/

Hmmm, which one to do?

I was (ab)using the Salomon Speedcross 3 for trail running and also part time on tar.

The thread on the Speedcross is just not made for street use - it disappeared quite quickly while running on tar.

My new setup is now Salomon Fellcross for trail only and Salomon Sense Pro for street/trail. Will keep you updated how the Sense Pro keeps up on tar... :-)