The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, went wandering through some shops to check out the options. Some of the shoes are hectically treaded, way too severe for my use. Then some others are studded, but looks like almost less aggro than my road shoes. But seems protection is also beefed up on trail shoes, so it will be the way to go sooner or later. 

For now, my road shoes will have to grin and bear it and I'll just pitch up with dusty shoes on road runs as well... 

Waveduke, I am intending to just run to the trails, not do lots of road running on it. But that will vary from 2-10k per run. Bugger, just saying that made me realise how far I've actually come since starting running this winter, sounding blase over 10k run to get to -or from- the dirt! A 10k was a dream not too long ago.

Picked up the Osprey Rev 12 backpack this afternoon from The Mindful Runner in Emmarentia (http://www.mindfulrunner.co.za/). As it is a small/medium it offers 10lt of storage (as opposed to 12lt with the medium/large) and comes with the Osprey 2.5lt bladder.

Perfect for the longer trail runs such as Brauhaus, Crazy Store, Mnweni, 4 Peaks and Skyrun and it comes with a lifetime warranty on the pack itself.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/endurance__trail_fitness/rev_12

Anyone on here done off-road races such as Skyrun, Mont-aux-sources, Rhodes & Amatola?

Done Monty 3 times - great race to put on ur bucket list. 

Rhodes is on the list for this year, if I can keep the fitness levels up :)

Done Monty 3 times - great race to put on ur bucket list. 

Rhodes is on the list for this year, if I can keep the fitness levels up :)

Only done 1 Monty but have my permanent number for Rhodes. Was also thinking of going back this year if I can get an entry.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Entered for the Avianto 20km Trialrun. Will be my first race in 40+ Veteran age cat.

How technical are the trails at Avianto?  I will do the 11km as I might do a road run the day before

Okay, so I went for the SpeedCross 3 option. Took it for a short run after my ride this Sat... Wow, now I know why I wanted trail shoes! It was super, addressed exactly what I wanted! Felt like I had 4x4.

Will heed Waveduke's advise and not use them for the days where I have too much tar to do. I also tried on something else, can't remember the model (also Salomon). Looking at it, it had less tread on than even my road running shoe. But I assume better foot protection. In the end I thought... heck, even if I do run off the knobs on the Speedcross, it will be the same as or better than this... but those would be the ideal across the mountain and some tar, but nothing technical shoes. But it will still slip on the same places I do now.

Very happy, also hitting Delvara this weekend! 

Okay, so I went for the SpeedCross 3 option. Took it for a short run after my ride this Sat... Wow, now I know why I wanted trail shoes! It was super, addressed exactly what I wanted! Felt like I had 4x4.

Will heed Waveduke's advise and not use them for the days where I have too much tar to do. I also tried on something else, can't remember the model (also Salomon). Looking at it, it had less tread on than even my road running shoe. But I assume better foot protection. In the end I thought... heck, even if I do run off the knobs on the Speedcross, it will be the same as or better than this... but those would be the ideal across the mountain and some tar, but nothing technical shoes. But it will still slip on the same places I do now.

Very happy, also hitting Delvara this weekend!

I have two sets of speedcross and they are great, but...

I found that they are almost impossible to run with in Summer. They are made for mud and snow running (hence the M&S printed on the side) in Europe, so they are very warm to run with. In our summer weather it feels like your feet are burning of.

So I only use them in winter for casual wear and trailrun with new balance as my road shoes are new balance as well.

I also had a pair of the first S-Lab trail shoes, man, those were brilliant, however was limited to 300k's and more expensive than caviar...

I bought myself a pair of these. According to the expert at the shop, these are the equivalent to the new balance 1080 I use to run road with.

will test them the weekend at the Ilimin8 run at Avianto

post-341-0-71385300-1421131670_thumb.jpg

Edited by RABUBI

I bought myself a pair of these. According to the expert at the shop, these are the equivalent to the new balance 1080 I use to run road with.

will test them the weekend at the Ilimin8 run at Avianto

What's the heel / toe drop on them?

the 1

What's the heel / toe drop on them?

the 1080 road shoe is 8mm

the 790 trail shoe is 10mm

hopefully my feet doesn't notice the difference

Also use 1080's on road, will have a look into those as well some time.

I contemplated the 1020's (or something like that) Leadville's, but same as with the other Salomons - hardly any tread. Those (790?) look much better! 

So you're saying I'll most likely start sweating from my feet first! My run this weekend was in a VERY hot Wellington. But not very long - was sub-10 k's - felt okay ito heat. Will just have to grin and bear it, so used to getting warm that it may (hopefully) fade into the rest of it. This weekend's race on Delvera will be a 13 or so (and likely hot again!). 

Here also - fit was great and drop (9 mm) similar to the 1080's.

I run Saucony Progrid 3 - Road - 4mm drop, and Saucony Peregine - Trail - 4mm drop.

I also have a pair of Adidas ADIzero XT`s - 0mm drop, but after about 15km odd the caves start a barkin`.

Think the important thing is to keep the drop similar between the 2 to minimize the chance of injury.