The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

So this weekend I must force myself to have a 30+ session on the road.

:eek:  Blasphemy!!! Keyword here is force. May you get endless joy of running on a straight road (and cars whizzing by).

That said,

this past weekend

I ordered some road shoes from Flook.

You know, for reasons.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly how I feel about it. But it was one of those "must do one" things. Of course, my one buddy already said "and once you've done a marathon, you HAVE to do Oceans!" Fortunately Oceans have trail runs as well... did the half last year and... hmmmm.... while it was nice at the time, I really enjoyed some recent trail runs much more. (La Capra and the Sanlam Peace trail very easily springs to mind!) 

At least the Parkrun will be fun and some distraction. I do most of my mid-week runs on the r*ad anyways. But early morning, when it's dark and quiet and little cars around. 

Did the Brauhous 45km Mountain trail run yesturday.My first Marathon run.It was a self navigation route.Couple of us took the wrong ridge at breedts Nek making for some instresting hiking up the gorge to get back on route to check point 2.All went well for me until I had to get of the mountain at Elephants Neck in Rustenburg.Took me 3 time up and down to finally find the safe route down.Ended up doing 48km.I was out on the route for 9hours.Lost about 2hours due to navigation errors.This was an awesome race and I sure have gained some valuable experience.Thanks to all the great runners I met and the event organizers.

Did the Brauhous 45km Mountain trail run yesturday.My first Marathon run.It was a self navigation route.Couple of us took the wrong ridge at breedts Nek making for some instresting hiking up the gorge to get back on route to check point 2.All went well for me until I had to get of the mountain at Elephants Neck in Rustenburg.Took me 3 time up and down to finally find the safe route down.Ended up doing 48km.I was out on the route for 9hours.Lost about 2hours due to navigation errors.This was an awesome race and I sure have gained some valuable experience.Thanks to all the great runners I met and the event organizers.

Woah sounds like a hectic one. One day when I'm big I'll try something like this. Was this a pure orienting race? Was there a supposed route you can follow? Did people with GPS's have an advantage above others? etc.?

Woah sounds like a hectic one. One day when I'm big I'll try something like this. Was this a pure orienting race? Was there a supposed route you can follow? Did people with GPS's have an advantage above others? etc.?

At the race briefing on Friday night you were given a topographic map with the route layed out on it.There were four check point with GPS coordinates you had to get to.Basically you got briefed to keep to the ridge of the mountain most of the time.there were also 3 beacons you passed indicating you we're on route.I basically just made a mistake when coming of the mountain.Gained some valuable experience.Awesome views and good bunch of trail runners that most of the time you stay in groups.

AWESOME!! Well done! That is not an easy day out! Hope I can do it next year.

At the race briefing on Friday night you were given a topographic map with the route layed out on it.There were four check point with GPS coordinates you had to get to.Basically you got briefed to keep to the ridge of the mountain most of the time.there were also 3 beacons you passed indicating you we're on route.I basically just made a mistake when coming of the mountain.Gained some valuable experience.Awesome views and good bunch of trail runners that most of the time you stay in groups.

Awesome. Well done for completing. Would love to try this one day.

Well done MrFine! That sounds like serious fun! 

I am gobsmacked at the Otter results though. Breaking 4 hours (just, but still!) is unreal. Could not believe that he actually made it when I saw it. Not just talking the talk...  :thumbup:

Well done MrFine! That sounds like serious fun! 

I am gobsmacked at the Otter results though. Breaking 4 hours (just, but still!) is unreal. Could not believe that he actually made it when I saw it. Not just talking the talk...  :thumbup:

Yes their are truly remarkable athletes out their. It sure does boggles the mind especially when you as a runner try compare yourself against them. Pure dedication to their profession.Not to mention pure talent.

What options are there for ordering trail running shoes online? I'm leaning towards a more minimalist show or just a lower heel drop