The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

There are plenty of routes up the perdeberg and the Mont rochelle.

Check out the Maxi Race route and the old Trail du Mont Rochelle routes. One easy access is off the pass straight up. The trails/paths are easy to follow and you can always just aim back to Franschoek by site if you get lost.

Thanks

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you don't want to go up by foot, you can also drive up to the entrance of the reserve, just past the hairpin going up from Franschoek side.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this, hope its a goodie.

Karel Sabbe - human freak, movie on Barkley Marathons.

• 8 months later...

I'll stop filling up the other thread with my rubbish.. Heres a real beaut on the go. 

Big Dogs Backyard Ultra. And whats been really cool is they've made it an international virtual affair this year. Each country puts up a couple freaks, live streams etc it, and they run a 6 point something km loop every hour until 1 person is left, everyone else is basically a DNF.

There are currently 4 people left I think, Courtney Dauwalter who came second last year, and another US chap Harvey Lewis, Karel Sabbe who is looking embarrassingly fresh, and another Belgian Geerts Merijn.

They've all just headed out for lap 68 (which was actually the winning total last year) which means they've run about 450kms in 67 hours.

The last guy who dropped out was Mexican. 64 hours, 420 odd kms, in home made sandals, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new 100 miler on the go this weekend. The Kenton 100.

Because Kenton on Sea is like 2 by 2 kms, you zig zig across the place like a champ to make up a 10 mile loop, which you then do 10 times....

It looks like some ocean side sand running which will be interesting, and dirt road and trail all mixed up.

I only see 8 people on the timing sheet. Tobie obviously one of them

Because Kenton on Sea is like 2 by 2 kms, you zig zig across the place like a champ to make up a 10 mile loop, which you then do 10 times....

It looks like some ocean side sand running which will be interesting, and dirt road and trail all mixed up.

That is classic. I spent many many holidays in Kenton as a grom as a Grahamstown local! There would be some cool sections up the Bushmans river side I suppose. 

But ja, sjoe. 10 x 10 mile loops. Respect to anyone who can keep that up!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here that can help with a trail run route in Clarens or Bethlehem? I’m visiting the in-laws next weekend and I’d like to go for a run on the Saturday morning. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone here that can help with a trail run route in Clarens or Bethlehem? I’m visiting the in-laws next weekend and I’d like to go for a run on the Saturday morning. Any help would be appreciated.

In Clarens you can follow (a permutation) of the parkrun route area, Bethlehem used to have Wolhuterskop, not sure what the current state is.

Golden Gate also an option?  Harrismith has Platberg.  (Can help you with a route up and down)

There are also these options.

Edited by Pieter-za

8 finished.

sjoe that is torture!!

route.jpg

8 finished.

sjoe that is torture!!

6 finished. I only remember that because we sort-of know the one dude who pulled out at 100.

Pretty brisk time from the lady who klapped first too - 23 something hours.

I need some advice. I have mostly done road running ie. tar and gravel roads, but lately I have started moving more into trail running. I ultimately want to start doing proper trail running routes and maybe races.

But if the trail bits go on for too long before opening into a road again - I get ‘vertigo’ or ‘blotchy’ sight? What is causing it?