The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Anybody been to the Harvey nature reserve close to Eastgate shopping center? Looks like the Linksfield ridge runs inside that reserve and there is some hiking paths.

I drive past there on my way back from Work everyday and would like to go for a run there if it is worth it.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

November?

Either very early or late...

Very embarrassing Typo. Please accept our apology and thanks for pointing it out.

Open this Thursday 18th December till 9PM for night trail running and riding.

Will resume the Thursday night extended hours again from Thursday 8th January 2015.

Anybody been to the Harvey nature reserve close to Eastgate shopping center? Looks like the Linksfield ridge runs inside that reserve and there is some hiking paths.

I drive past there on my way back from Work everyday and would like to go for a run there if it is worth it.

Highly recommended for training and to escape the city rush.

The area only allows about 4 km in one direction before having to loop back, but the rock scramble that you can see from Eastgate is technically and physiologically challenging, as are other tracks.

Enjoyed many sun rises / sets and especially full moon rises off the ridge.

A unique experience, running through this Sugarbush and grass "wilderness" while looking down on the busiest intersection in Africa.

Basic directions. Park at Gillooly's run towards the lake keep riverbank right (i.e. river on your right) until you see a weir with stepping stones, cross to river onto the mountain side of the stream, head towards the rock scramble pass, at the top follow the ridge up then choose from a number of options.

Never had an issue with crime, seldom see others about other than outdoor church services, but care is no doubt required.

Possibly one of the best areas to train for technical mountain trail running within the confines JHB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so fortunate that I have both Alberts Farm & Mellville Koppies on my doorstep. To get rid of yesterday's excesses, I had an awesome run this morning that included both the above as well as the Botannical Gardens and Montgomery Park.

Just over 16k's with less than 1k on tar!

Edited by Thug

I'm so fortunate that I have both Alberts Farm & Mellville Koppies on my doorstep. To get rid of yesterday's excesses, I had an awesome run this morning that included both the above as well as the Botannical Gardens and Montgomery Park.

Just over 16k's with less than 1k on tar!

I'm just around the corner from Melville Koppies and would love to try it out but I've heard so many stories about the place and that it is far from safe. Your take on it?

Never had any issues whilst running either by myself or in a group.

I wouldn't cycle alone through the Koppies though. We're normally in a group of at least 5.

Hi there,

i secured my Otter entry for 2015 and was looking at hydration packs. Any body that want to get rid of their Salamon 12l Slab hydration pack??

Think we need to organise a Hub trail run some time in the new year in Gauteng?

I'm keen but will only be back in PTA in Feb.

I see most people getting into trailrunning goes for the Solomon shoes. They look great but is it not 1 of the shoes with the least amount of support? Which shop in the CT area do you guys suggest 1 can get very good advise as to which shoe would be best for me?

Edited by Jaco-fiets

I have never been a runner, but I really enjoy hiking in the Drakensberg (although I haven't been hiking much this past year).

In 2010 we met up with some hikers also sleeping in in the same cave (Twins cave / Cathedral area) & we chatted about the Mnweni marathon. This isn't the first time I've heard of the marathon though.

I have a friend who's an avid trail runner  & he'd done it numerous times.

A mate & I have decided to take it on since we were told by the other hikers sleeping in Twins that we'd manage since we're strong hikers.

We strarted training for it 3 weeks before the race (easter weekend to few days before the race which was 15th of May 2010)

To say the least it was very tough, but we managed to keep a steady pace( for us anyways)

We finished around 8.5 hours.

I have said I'll do it again someday & I feel 2015 is the year.

How many km's should I start with & how gradual should I push longer distances?

Any advice is very welcome!

Thx.

J

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Think we need to organise a Hub trail run some time in the new year in Gauteng? 

Keen, I am going to start training on the road this week then run trail over the weekends

I see most people getting into trailrunning goes for the Solomon shoes. They look great but is it not 1 of the shoes with the least amount of support? Which shop in the CT area do you guys suggest 1 can get very good advise as to which shoe would be best for me?

I assume your comment is based on the Speedcross 3's as these are the most popular in the Salomon range.

Actually these have a lot of support (fit wise) as these hug your foot nicely.  They do not offer support in term of pronation although trial shoes should not be providing this in any case as you need to negotiate undulating terrian and including too much support will hamper your ability to "feel" the terrain.  Also has nice toe protection when compared to its rivals.  I run with a pair for my runs in excess of 10kms as the higher offset gives my calves some relief.

I have never been a runner, but I really enjoy hiking in the Drakensberg (although I haven't been hiking much this past year).

In 2010 we met up with some hikers also sleeping in in the same cave (Twins cave / Cathedral area) & we chatted about the Mnweni marathon. This isn't the first time I've heard of the marathon though.

I have a friend who's an avid trail runner  & he'd done it numerous times.

A mate & I have decided to take it on since we were told by the other hikers sleeping in Twins that we'd manage since we're strong hikers.

We strarted training for it 3 weeks before the race (easter weekend to few days before the race which was 15th of May 2010)

To say the least it was very tough, but we managed to keep a steady pace( for us anyways)

We finished around 8.5 hours.

I have said I'll do it again someday & I feel 2015 is the year.

How many km's should I start with & how gradual should I push longer distances?

Any advice is very welcome!

Thx.

J

I am sure there are formulas and structured plans out there however my advise would be to take it slowly and incorporate some walking at the start, always take the distance increase slower than you think.  As cyclists we want to increase distance quickly but you risk your knees, hips and feet not coping with dramatic increases in distance.