The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Hi guys. I haven't done any sort of running in 14 years. I use to run a lot in high school but then i got knock by a car while crossing the road and damaged my knees. since then the only thing to have scratched my physical exercise itch has been cycling. i dont even own running shoes as i dont want to waste money by buying the incorrect shoe. I have been told that going to biokineticist would do wonders for not only my riding but they would be able to recommend the correct running shoe and evaluate whether or not i will be able to run marathons etc without causing damage to myself. Guess my question is, has anyone had personal experiences with a bio and if so what where the outcomes and what should i be looking out for, questions i should ask etc.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right let the gear junkie assist here ;) 

The Arc series is a great idea, but lets you down at the mounting point where the bottle holder attached to the belt.  This is a very narrow contact area while the bottle holder and bottle is big and heavy.  Result? It bounces up and down as you run, pivoting on the belt, while the belt stays put. Fail. Don't go there.  

The previous CamelBak Delaney series (I have a 1 and 2 bottle model) works great but needs to sit low and tight, not everyone can stomach it, so to speak. 

Pack wise, if you're running long times and need to carry gear and access it (key word) it pays to get a vest built for trail running like Salomon, CamelBak, Nathan, UltrAspire, Ultimate Direction etc.  If you're doing shorter distances you'll probably be fine with the water tables or try a hand bottle or one of the belts as above or use your mtb pack.  

The issue with a pack vs the vest is a few things.  Big issue is you can't access stuff and pockets on running kit don't always work, so a normal pack may need taking on and off all the time to get to a gel etc.  Packs bounce, which is irritating but eventually this leads to chafing with sweat in the mix.  Vests fit better and adjust more so less of this.  Also you can have water and a sports drink in many packs as they allow bottles and/or bladders.  Then packing space is also an issue.  Try getting Otter level 3 gear in our mtb Camelbak, quite unlikely, so keep in mind the gear you need especially if compulsory. 8 liters is a good size for a pack that will fit gear but not be overly bulky when empty.    

entered the 10km 2Oceans Trail Run  :clap:  

Same here! Can't wait.

I have an entry for the Otter next year as well so got to get started on training. Rather slow and controlled than rushed at the end. I've had ITB issues in the past and don't want it cropping up again.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Same here! Can't wait.

I have an entry for the Otter next year as well so got to get started on training. Rather slow and controlled than rushed at the end. I've had ITB issues in the past and don't want it cropping up again.

Nice one! I will try and get an entry for 2016, def on the bucket list.

I love the feeling of being on 2 wheels but there's something magical about foot to ground contact, I want to start trail running.

Totally! Both are awesome! The thing that I dig about the running is doing raw trails that you cant do on your bike. Love the tech stuff.

I land in CT on tuesday. Is it safe to run table mountain and lion's head solo? Where else would you recommend as MUST RUNs while there for 10 days?

Edited by Purnjap

I land in CT on tuesday. Is it safe to run table mountain and lion's head solo? Where else would you recommend as MUST RUNs while there for 10 days?

I'm not from the area, but I had one of the best runs ever leaving from Muizenberg up in the hills around there and above Kalk bay.

Totally! Both are awesome! The thing that I dig about the running is doing raw trails that you cant do on your bike. Love the tech stuff.

Juuup, I am by no means fast on the flats but give me a nice technical downhill and I love just bombing down it

Juuup, I am by no means fast on the flats but give me a nice technical downhill and I love just bombing down it

Same here I flippen love it. Even tech climbs. Mam I wanna run now.

from what i hear table mountain is not safe alone - but i might be wrong.

Dirtopia has a trail run on Saturday 14 December at Warwick Wine Estate outside Stellenbosch. Their events are always lekke. This event has a 5km, 10km, and 15km.

Pre-entries close 9 December 

http://www.dirtopia.co.za/index.php/dirt-trail-runs/trilogy-trail-run