The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Managed to do almost 35km of trail running with probably only 10% on tar this weekend, without driving anywhere. Quads are feeling it today though. :)

Does anyone stock Ultimate Direction products in SA?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man this Trail running thing is amazing!

Did my first ultra in October, Ultratrail Cape town. Did the 62 which ended up as 65 with like 3500m of climbing.

Was did hardest thing I have ever done by far..but very rewarding and will be back next year to see if I can go a bit better.

You guys have any suggestions on ultra trail runs that I could try next year also?

Thinking of Otter or one of the skyruns.

Anybody done that Cedarburg run?

Also is there specific exercises you guys do to strengthen your ankles?I have had 2 bad ankle injuries now and it takes for ever to heal so think I need to make my ankles stronger maybe?

sounds lekkerrr, thanks!

hey Purnjap - the race is on Sunday 14 December - and not Saturday 14 December like - sorry about that  :blush:

Been fiddling with the idea of starting trailrunning for too long now. Think I will get going. Haven't jogged for a long time now. I assume I should start out on the road 1st? Anybody have a program how to start off slowly without injuring myself. I went head over heels into triathlon about 3 years ago and ended up damaging both achiles pretty badly. They seem to be fine now.

Advise much appreciated!

i started earlier this year - and i followed one of those "Couch to 5k" programs (as that was literally my situation) but i ended up injuring my soleus (part of the calf) muscle twice.

each time taking about 3 weeks to recover before i can start again.

so my 2 cents : start as slow as possible.

by overdoing it you probably will get injured.

many articles suggest a walk/run approach first. (i still walk alot, especially on uphills on the trails).

also good shoes is a must.

good luck, its not easy to start.

Been fiddling with the idea of starting trailrunning for too long now. Think I will get going. Haven't jogged for a long time now. I assume I should start out on the road 1st? Anybody have a program how to start off slowly without injuring myself. I went head over heels into triathlon about 3 years ago and ended up damaging both achiles pretty badly. They seem to be fine now.

Advise much appreciated!

Take it slow.

As you're used to running, albeit a while ago, I would start off with a 2 - 3km run, slowly. Do that 2 x a week for 2 weeks and then once your body is used to the stresses, increase to 3km. Keep that up for a 2 weeks and then add in an extra day to make it 3 x per week. Once you're comfortable take that up to 5km and then start building up speed.

Yea, running tought me about moderation. I was runing 5k lekker then decided to do a 30k. Three physio visits and lots aof stretching and what not and I still have a little itb pain. Take it super easy.

Yea, running tought me about moderation. I was runing 5k lekker then decided to do a 30k. Three physio visits and lots aof stretching and what not and I still have a little itb pain. Take it super easy.

ITB is a bitch, I was running 15 comfortably and then I did 45...same story

Hey Trail running fans.

The PwC Bike Park in Bryanston is open Thursday 11th and 18th November till 9pm for both night trail running and mountain biking.

Entry R10 for runners and R40 for riders after 4pm.

Food, snacks, cold drinks and coffee on sale

Remember your lights..

We hope to see you, your friends and family tomorrow.

Hey Trail running fans.

The PwC Bike Park in Bryanston is open Thursday 11th and 18th November till 9pm for both night trail running and mountain biking.

Entry R10 for runners and R40 for riders after 4pm.

Food, snacks, cold drinks and coffee on sale

Remember your lights..

We hope to see you, your friends and family tomorrow.

November?

Either very early or late...

Advise much appreciated!

Like everyone said...slowly build up. But my opinion would be to find a nice 5k trail somewhere in your area and start doing that once a week combined with a shorter road run or 2.

Trail running use different muscles when you run and the chances of getting your typical repetitive movement injury is less with trail running as your strike is different the whole time.

Just make sure you walk some of the technical bits in the beginning and don't try and run the whole 5k.Walking on a trail is much nicer than on the road so doing a 5k run/walk will be far better than just a 3k on the road.

Chances are your will get stronger faster this way and the enjoyment will be much more so you are also more likely to stick with it.

Enjoy!!