The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Quick question: What night run lights are people using?

Disclaimer: It's probably been covered but 26 pages is too much on a Thu morning...

I use one of these for trail running at night.

We have a very cool series of night runs down here so need something decently powerful.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had slight chafe once when I ran in my fox rangers, other than that, no problemo. That being said I have not gone further than 30k, suppose anything more would be stupid without skipants.

I cant run further than 5ks without getting bad chafe!

I do have big legs though and my thighs touch so maybe its just me.

Shorts - any light running shorts. But NOT those hyper short ones the "roadies" like. Currently have Nike and Adidas ones, both works perfectly. 

On the topic of chafing, also started developing an inner thigh chafe of late now that I start running further. Plan to wear old compression shorts under my shorts on longer runs to alleviate the problem. Who cares what it looks like?! 

Light: I recently got a LED Lenzer - I think it's the EOS 5 version - the red one, anyways. Not this heckuva battery pack and gives a nice light - enough for the pace I run at, anyways! (Just a funny halo effect which I only noticed on the last run, but that might be due to the focus ring, which I haven't really played with.) Dew/rain drops next to the path catching the lights on dark runs still take my breath away! Love it...  :blush:

I can't find a pic of the light I have but it's a 100lm thing I think. Uses 3 aaa bateries and works fine enough. I would like something with a bit more oemf tho.

I agree, it gets really painful if they start to chafe a 1/4 of the way in.

So normal shorts are a no no for me either unless if they have those tight-like inners.

I don't have skinny legs, so chafing is a problem.  Luckily as a cyclist as well I am comfortable in just a pair of tights without over-shorts.

I don't have skinny legs, so chafing is a problem.  Luckily as a cyclist as well I am comfortable in just a pair of tights without over-shorts.

Yeah same here, I have had mixed success with the short adidas pants as they are fine for gyming and even a road run but because of the amount of movement going on when you're trail running they don't work for me for that.

Just went and checked at Duesouth and they have some decent Salomon ones with that lycra inner for 399.

Where do you guys get just proper trail running tights? (without the short part).

Yeah same here, I have had mixed success with the short adidas pants as they are fine for gyming and even a road run but because of the amount of movement going on when you're trail running they don't work for me for that.

Just went and checked at Duesouth and they have some decent Salomon ones with that lycra inner for 399.

Where do you guys get just proper trail running tights? (without the short part).

I got a pair of Adidas short toights at an Adidas store, but you can get them at Totalsports, Sportmanswarehouse or so. First Ascent, Nike, New Balance and sometimes Asics short toights can also be found at Total and Sportmans. Sometimes they're more marketed towards sprinters, but there's no real difference in the usefulness IMO.

I see single entries for Rockman ultra is R1400

Wait..

What???

I never done this before, but what is the difference between this event and any other duathlon to warrant that entry Ticket?

<script language='javascript'> </script>

I see single entries for Rockman ultra is R1400

Wait..

What???

I never done this before, but what is the difference between this event and any other duathlon to warrant that entry Ticket?

Ja dis bietjie styf vir 'n entry