CAPE EPIC - 29er vs 27.5

Fabian46

put a pro on any bike and he will get results.

(but pssst... 1 & 2 today were on 27.5)

Or put me on any bike and I will get k@k results. :blush: And that is why I am still on a 26er.

Edited by YUMEYA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen how that Burry chap used to ride tech sections (proper tech) on his 29'er ... and he was no giant (In the physical sense, but not in the awesomeness sense) .... it comes down to rider, rider, rider, rider with a small degree of assistance from the wheelsize should that wheel size benefit that riders style of riding.

It has nothing to do with the rider and you know it! :ph34r:

It has nothing to do with the rider and you know it! :ph34r:

It is Friday and I was stirring ....... we all know that it is the bike and if it says Spaz on the side it is even faster

Aye Yumeya, I've noticed this disturbing trend. Regardless of bike wheel size I am *** slow. Very disappointing and puzzling, particularly when the salesmen and other demo riders were enthusing about how fast the new bikes were.

I would not ride a 29'er on the Cascades XCO route. Too far to fall. :D

So to those who know everything ... how accurate is this comparison that I just whipped up in CAD RE wheels sizes?

well that makes sense. not.

If it's all about the rider only, the pros shouldn't have a problem competing on a BMX :whistling:

Or on this, it`s all about the rider so the Epic could be won on this if Sauser is riding it.

http://www.jamesperse.com/img/products/TRICYCLE_BPWD_L2A1.jpg

You don't think it may have something to do with the fact that they're both primarily XCO riders? Their wheel sizes are irrelevant.

I reckon 650b is a better wheel size for more technical riding. I was surprised to see riders using 650b wheels for the Epic as I have always believe that 29'ers are better suited to long multi stage races. This seems to have been proven when Buys and Schurter performed better as we got into the more technical stages. Contrary to opinion voiced here, I don't think that a pro will perform well on any bike, it is definetly "horses for courses". I believe if they were allowed to change bikes for each stage, you would see all the pros switching between 650b and 29'er throughout the race.

Regarding them being XCO racers, I think XCO teaches one to push the pain barrier which ultimately makes you a harder rider and this is an advantage in a race like the Epic where you eventually reach a point where you cannot push any more but still have to complete the several stages. That ability to "take the pain" and keep going comes from XCO.

So to those who know everything ... how accurate is this comparison that I just whipped up in CAD RE wheels sizes?

I think somethings wrong in your calcs.

There is a 25mm difference in overall diameter between 26" and 650B

I reckon 650b is a better wheel size for more technical riding. I was surprised to see riders using 650b wheels for the Epic as I have always believe that 29'ers are better suited to long multi stage races. This seems to have been proven when Buys and Schurter performed better as we got into the more technical stages. Contrary to opinion voiced here, I don't think that a pro will perform well on any bike, it is definetly "horses for courses". I believe if they were allowed to change bikes for each stage, you would see all the pros switching between 650b and 29'er throughout the race.

Regarding them being XCO racers, I think XCO teaches one to push the pain barrier which ultimately makes you a harder rider and this is an advantage in a race like the Epic where you eventually reach a point where you cannot push any more but still have to complete the several stages. That ability to "take the pain" and keep going comes from XCO.

Ok you buy into that train of thought and I'll stick to the fact that the wheel size has FA to do with how fast you or a pro rider is.

Its all about power output, and a lack of weight.

there is zero advantage to 29inch wheels, zero unless you buy into BS

27.5" Rulz, no go to bed! :P

Yeah, it must be hard staying awake all night praying for your wheels to become 29'ers.

:oops: Jumping some keyboard buttons like a 27.5!! But praying yes, for sunshine so I can kick those 29er butts on the trails tomorrow!

Ok you buy into that train of thought and I'll stick to the fact that the wheel size has FA to do with how fast you or a pro rider is.

Its all about power output, and a lack of weight.

there is zero advantage to 29inch wheels, zero unless you buy into BS

You have some very strong theories. could you also clarify if the moon landing is real or fake and if indeed Bigfoot does exist.