Cape Epic Training

After following last week's Epic on telly, it made wonder how would one prepare for such an ordeal. 8 days on a saddle, 100kms average per day, climbing your ass off...how do you prepare your body for this onslaught? What would a typical Epic rider's training regime be for this?

Whatever, I know guys who finished top 40 on 8-12 hrs a week.

Generally, your training hours should be an accordance to what you plan on doing daily, so the back markers need to train more hours per week that the top 10 for example.

6-10 average should be fine. Depends where you want to finish

That would make the claim that Jaakie made, very true.

Spinning 5 days a week for an hour at 5am in the morning + spinning every other evening while watching the telly (Missus is now using the Spinit as a clothes hanger!). On the weekends riding approx 4 to 5 hours either Saturday or Sunday.

As summer arrived switched to cycling over to Chappies then to town, around 45 kays, instead of spinning. We also added Blockhouse in the mix some evenings.

Also did a few rides inbetween, Tankwa, etc.

As a result dropped around 15kgs and managed to finish right near the back - but we still got our medals!

Your family life will suffer while training, and your backside will suffer during the ride, but it is 100% worth it.

Also get a flu jab a few weeks before the ride - it is *** to ride with a cold!

Tom

Whatever, I know guys who finished top 40 on 8-12 hrs a week.

How long have they been riding for? base?

It depends what your base looks like. I had been riding for about a 2 years odd race here and there had my fitness around 5/10. Started training 6 months before epic did between 12-15 hrs a week. 2 or 3 weeks got to 20 hrs. We finished in 300 GC with a very sick partner.

Was such an amazing experience!! would love to do it again but moola is an issue.

When I was training for the epic many years ago Andrew Maclean had a training plan on the cycle lab website that said that 15 hrs / wk, if done properly, is ample, and that he figured many turned up over-trained.

Just saying.

Sean tweeted that the average training per week was 11 hours and slightly down from the last few years. That would include pros who are doing more.

Sean tweeted that the average training per week was 11 hours and slightly down from the last few years. That would include pros who are doing more.

And, very importantly, how many weeks in total, including base, is a key question.

So where can one obtain a free standard training program for multi stage mtb races?

Good luck with that one.....if you find out, please let me know!

So where can one obtain a free standard training program for multi stage mtb races?

Try fittrack, not free but cheap (under R200)

And, very importantly, how many weeks in total, including base, is a key question.

I reckon the hubbers have to wrapped up.

As many weeks as possible at around 6-8 hours.