ABSA Cape Epic 2015

Sasquatch

Anyone have some stats on the non-finishers this year. Seems higher than previous years, but that may because I saw a lot of pro drop outs?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Table MOuntain is a brilliant prologue venue, very exciting and must be an inspiring place for out of town people to start their Epic journey.

However I totally agree with poster below, watching the riders come in through dry brown farmland was as boring and ugly as hell. And you couldnt even see Table Mountain in the distance most of the time due to hazy cloud cover. I tweeted Supersport and the Epic account and asked why the TV coverage only shows wide shots. We watched the MIlan San Remo later in the day and they have close up shots of the riders' faces. Why cant we also? We have helicopters and bikes on the trails yesterday? 

They went past a Swiss flag in a dead brown field, would it kill them to zoom in on that for two seconds, or to show the food and refreshments at the stations instead of just riders? Also would be nice to see the back of the field sometimes! I dont understand the camera work at all. 

It infuriates me when they do this to my sport .

I was positively livid over this. I mean, the moment they enter the Single Track going down Dorstberg, two teams chasing each other, the team at the back the one more technicaly adept, and they go into a Ad Break. W.T.F!!! :cursing:  :cursing:  This was the stage where things could have have become really interesting!!

Could they not have gone to the ad break while they werte slogging up Dorstberg from the quarry side?

At least we got to see them doing the "pump track" section and the finish sprint. YAYY!!!

Agree, the main section of the descent I wanted to see was the "3 Choices" drop-off. No sign of that - it's like the cameramen/producers didn't have a clue about the exciting sections. The pump track was cool to see, but no real danger of an off there...

Coverage is poor every year.

We've just not as grateful for the highlights anylonger as we now have many more cycling events to tune into on the box. the unimaginative camera work and production really get sshown up by XCo and European Road events.

but better be careful here because better coverage is just an excuse to charge R100K per team

Agree, the main section of the descent I wanted to see was the "3 Choices" drop-off. No sign of that - it's like the cameramen/producers didn't have a clue about the exciting sections. The pump track was cool to see, but no real danger of an off there...

craigs conundrum was diverted to the chicken run with bunting tape.

craigs conundrum was diverted to the chicken run with bunting tape.

Oh boring....

That helps explains it then, thanks.

Anyone else suffering from the "munchies" post Epic? What causes this & what's the cure besides the scoffing up everything in sight?

Anyone else suffering from the "munchies" post Epic? What causes this & what's the cure besides the scoffing up everything in sight?

That's what beer is for!

@stranners: Car broken into at start of last day of @AbsaCapeEpic all our bags gone. Disappointing way to finish great week. Time to #standagainstcrime

@AbsaCapeEpic: @stranners that's terrible to hear Joel.

@David_Higgs: @stranners @bicyclesafetysa @AbsaCapeEpic Ja. Ours at Wellington. Computers sunnies Etc.

@emilstark: @David_Higgs @bicyclesafetysa @stranners @AbsaCapeEpic after you paid R60k for entry..... not cool..

@Mr_TREAD: @David_Higgs @stranners @bicyclesafetysa @AbsaCapeEpic Ah no man. Sorry to hear. We noticed the security at Wellington race village was poor

@Mr_TREAD: @stranners @David_Higgs @bicyclesafetysa @AbsaCapeEpic @martindreyer3's bags were stolen at Worcester, including kit, phone & laptop

Was wondering when someone would comment on the thefts at / during the Epic and then at Meerendal

Unconfirmed, but heard that the car park was again targeted and a number of thefts occured.

Archived