Which mountain bike is a better buy? Silverback vs. GT

Jonno123

Hi, I have been looking for the right mountain bike for a while now and i'm still not so sure which bike to get. I'm a beginner and this would be my first mountain bike with my highest price being R8000. I plan to cycle three times a week, two of the days being on the road and the other up in the mountain. The two bikes which have appealed to me are the Silverback Sola 4 and the GT Karakoram Sport. I would appreciate feedback suggesting which is the better bike and/or if you have any better suggestions.

Thanks!

Karokoram is a Solid Bike! GT is definitely the better brand in my opinion, depends really on who gives you the best price and spec at 8k.

I had the Katokoram for a training bike once upon a time, lasted really well!

Looks pretty good as well.

Merida also make some quality for money bikes!

my buddy wants to sell his medium 29er 2013 GT karakoram... i think its the Karakoram 1, i know its the top spec in its range... he bought it new outv shop.

Just some FYI if you are looking into the second hand market

Just bought my wife a Sola 4 (paid under R7000), very nice bike. Reason for buying the Silverback was:

1. Air fork (can be tuned to work with my wifes weight, and its lighter than the coils)

2. Shimano Hydraulic brakes (prefer them over other brands)

3. And my wife loves the color scheme!

10 speed drivetrain would have been amazing (and also added couple of thousand to the price), but the Shimano 8 speed is very dependable (been running the same drivetrian on my bike for almost 2 years). Only issue with the 8 speed is the step between the 2 largest gears at the back is quite big, on 10 speed there is lots more inbetween.

Things that may be better on the GT:

1. Hubs (may have sealed bearings, cant see on their site, know the hubs on the Zaskars are sealed bearings)

2. 9 speed drive train (lots of non-shimano parts though)

My 2 cents is to always get the best fork for the price, and an air fork in this price range is hard to pass by.

My 1st bike was a silverback( well excl the game specials) and it was a solid bike. really enjoyed it. Rate it up there with Giant and Scott.

Never ridden a GT so cant say

Take out 2k more, and get the Momsen AL229.

Air fork, and your choice of full SRAM X5 or Shimano Deore. The frame is pretty much bomb proof.

Titans a nice buy, but they lost the plot with their 2014 prices.

+1 on the momsen. The merida big nine tfs 300 is also a great bike, quality frame and well specced. Good luck

Son has the Vida 4 29er, which is in essence the Sola 4.

Good kit for a fair price, VERY happy with it! (And not tooo heavy either.)

Highly recommended.

It's difficult to compare without seeing the specs of the bike... and I'm way to lazy to google it now.

That being said, my very first bike was a GT Avalanche and I rode it into the ground (and I was fat then!) and it held up well, right up until the end when it didn't. I then upgraded to a Silverback which was (and still is) also a great bike, The value I got from the Silverback was just more than any other bike manufacturer.

You have to compare the specs and see where you get the best bang for your buck.

Being biased as i have 2 I would opt for the Silverback, the only issue i have with both bikes are the Alex rims which in my experience are not great.