Tokai Volunteer build day - 05 April, 9am

(Deon)

Hi guys. Earliest I could make it was 14:00 (Family time on Sat morning). Guy at the gate told me I just missed u guys ????. Will definitely try to make the next one.

The divert rides brilliantly btw. Rode it on Sat and Sun. Super smooth????????????????

Edited by Lone_Ranger

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great efforts to all who participated. I rode Tokai on Sunday morning for the first time in about two months and enjoyed the 'new' bits tremendously. Note to self, must learn to jump.

Questions:

The guy smashing out some of the rocks with a ten pound hammer in that little descent to the bridge in fairy garden. What was that about?

Also, what happened to the infamous rock step in the road leading up up to Silvermine gate?

The guy smashing out some of the rocks with a ten pound hammer in that little descent to the bridge in fairy garden. What was that about?

huh?

huh?
Noticed that yesterday - somebody has smashed the whole section around the bridge to pieces (ruined it completely), all the rocks on the entry to the bridge have been broken up.

It looks like the work of somebody too frightened to ride over the rocks and it is a complete mess.

Firstly - well done guys - the new divert is great - I rode up it and later down - the rock/drop/roll in is nice but the small jump into the second left hand berm is even better.

The fairy story. My wife and 2 friends were riding on Saturday morning around 0830 - it was v busy. Her friend had a puncture on Fairy going up (I can't imagine how :-) ) They spotted the trail changing perps in action while fixing the puncture. It was two guys and a blonde woman and at least one had Cycle Lab kit on. They were apparently fixing loose planks on the bridge and also placed a chicken wire covered pole to make the root step up under the tree after the bridge easier. They had tools and stashed their bikes around the corner. Wifey thought that were up to no good...

Quite bizarre - that's the last place on earth I'd have thought needed maintenance.

Guest dilldesigns

Would be keen to get my build on next time you chaps are out :thumbup: Needs me a sunburn :nuke:

Firstly - well done guys - the new divert is great - I rode up it and later down - the rock/drop/roll in is nice but the small jump into the second left hand berm is even better.

The fairy story. My wife and 2 friends were riding on Saturday morning around 0830 - it was v busy. Her friend had a puncture on Fairy going up (I can't imagine how :-) ) They spotted the trail changing perps in action while fixing the puncture. It was two guys and a blonde woman and at least one had Cycle Lab kit on. They were apparently fixing loose planks on the bridge and also placed a chicken wire covered pole to make the root step up under the tree after the bridge easier. They had tools and stashed their bikes around the corner. Wifey thought that were up to no good...

Quite bizarre - that's the last place on earth I'd have thought needed maintenance.

not on.. thanks for the info.

Would be keen to get my build on next time you chaps are out :thumbup: Needs me a sunburn :nuke:

Anytime.. next build is 3 May and starts at either 9am or 1pm.. details closer to the time on the website/hub/facebook/twitter..

Thanks for the great efforts to all who participated. I rode Tokai on Sunday morning for the first time in about two months and enjoyed the 'new' bits tremendously. Note to self, must learn to jump.

Questions:

Also, what happened to the infamous rock step in the road leading up up to Silvermine gate?

Noticed that yesterday - somebody has smashed the whole section around the bridge to pieces (ruined it completely), all the rocks on the entry to the bridge have been broken up.

It looks like the work of somebody too frightened to ride over the rocks and it is a complete mess.

Hard to believe, these people must be useless.

The Fairy Garden remoddelling team must have been at work on both Saturday and Sunday then....

Deon, what is the story behind the rock step in the road leading up up to Silvermine gate being removed?

I wondered whether it was an emergency access issue.

I'll explain why this is an issue.

The trouble with guys taking action themselves is that if anything happens to a rider as a result of the changes, it will reflect poorly on the activity. For an injury, someone will need to be accountable especially when a pole with wire is installed in the trail. It now means there is a constructed "feature" that requires a maintenance schedule. Yes, it does... Insurance has required every constructed feature to be specced and a schedule of maintenance provided.. if someone slips on the pole today, and this is not detailed in the maintenance report, the accountability will lie with Parks as this was built without consent and not by the group with a contractors permit, who is TokaiMTB only.. Adhoc trail construction without permission, you can imagine is not needed, especially while we are in the final straight with securing a bright future of working together with TMNP for better facilities.

For the other features currently found on the mountain, I have in the last 2 months documented what needs repair and what is to be removed. This is at least noted and conforms with the quarterly trail report and will be carried out asap, starting with bridge repair on Vasbyt!

We are trying to create communication channels, i.e. Twitter/Facebook/the Hub/Warthogs etc.. If there is a problem, tell someone..

The Fairy Garden remoddelling team must have been at work on both Saturday and Sunday then....

Deon, what is the story behind the rock step in the road leading up up to Silvermine gate being removed?

I wondered whether it was an emergency access issue.

There were complaints and as far as I know was filled in from the Silvermine side, possibly even by Parks.

Access I think is no longer needed on that road, it has narrowed in places that will not support vehicles any longer, certainly not without serious reconstruction.

That step was a fun feature to improve skills up and down. That whole section was also far more fun on the way down in its original form...

Maintenance is one thing but dumbing down quite another. The fairy agents must have planned this for a while to arrive tooled up and with a gum pole.

Niner riders probably;-)

Really, has it changed that much? Pity.. but the rain in winter will bring welcomed changes, surely. ;)

Actually this area was due for some work, mainly the step up root. The plan was be to set rocks in the ground before the root providing traction for the rear wheel but still lower than the root for those who don't shy away from a challenge. Will check on this..

That step was a fun feature to improve skills up and down. That whole section was also far more fun on the way down in its original form...

Maintenance is one thing but dumbing down quite another. The fairy agents must have planned this for a while to arrive tooled up and with a gum pole.

Niner riders probably;-)

It's an interesting approach to mountain biking - make the trail easier.

Riding up that little rocky metre or two after/before the bridge was a real challenge for me when I first started riding, and a real sense of accomplishment once I figured out how to ride it.

I think there's a gang of renegade trail dumbing downers at work.

It's an interesting approach to mountain biking - make the trail easier.

Riding up that little rocky metre or two after/before the bridge was a real challenge for me when I first started riding, and a real sense of accomplishment once I figured out how to ride it.

I think there's a gang of renegade trail dumbing downers at work.

You'll be surprised how many of these people are out there.

Guest Omega Man

on a side note I've just had my truck washed so we should get some nice rain tonight. Hopefully hat will help get the divert bedded in nicely.