When selling bikes mean more than riding bikes

Guest dilldesigns

I find that no, one proper bike shop is about the money alone. They all started, and survive from the love for cycling and the love of the machine.

Those that are just about the money don't last long.

I don't agree.....there are many that have started shops just to ride the cycling wave and take advantage of the huge amounts of money cyclists will throw at their sport.

Take Solomons for example. I don't think any of those women who run the show have even sat on a bike. They certainly lack any knowledge of the sport. Yet, they run a brilliant set up, with prices that rival the best in SA.

I don't think Moregolf had any cycling passion when they bought Cyclelab. It was a pure business decission.

Take Solomons for example. I don't think any of those women who run the show have even sat on a bike. They certainly lack any knowledge of the sport. Yet, they run a brilliant set up, with prices that rival the best in SA.

Cycling boomed a few years back and became a very lucrative business for a few.

Solomons is about about getting a very good price and not about the service.

Ouch… :(

And we were always the last to be picked when we played footie as kids…

They allowed you to play football :eek: i was forced into the band as a triangle player :whistling:

They allowed you to play football :eek: i was forced into the band as a triangle player :whistling:

They didn't let me play willingly…

I was forced to do solos in the choir… :blush:

I know of 2 bike shops that were run and owned by 'cyclophiles', in the greater Pmb area, that have had to shut their doors and their owners were/are pretty good guys.

Then there's the booming bike shop in Pmb, where the owners make it clear that they sell bikes, not ride them. This after more than 25years in business and they're still going strong. It would appear to me that the average cyclist is looking for good prices and availability of gear, rather than agony aunt relationships with their lbs.

But I must admit that there are those that enjoy the conversation with the 'family barber', every time they check in, but then there are others, like myself, who'd like a 'cut&go', without the random chatter.

Me too. I work in a bike shop on Saturday mornings. It's out of love for the sport and because of a friendship with the owner. I have had the annoyance of a know-it-all interfere with a sale. It's rude. Terribly so. What is dildosigns doing eavesdropping on a conversation between a shop worker and a customer? Sounds like the behaviour of a lurker. If you want to give advice, buy your own bike shop. Go ahead. Deal second-hand. Become a hub broker. To diss a shop based on an overheard conversation just sucks. Your agressive assertion about what is this best way to shop for a bike is no better than the alleged behaviour of the bike shop employee. Were you privy to the whole interaction between the customer and the bike shop employee? I doubt it.

Why so grumpy. He didn't mention a particular shop but rather a situation he oversaw and one many of us have seen before or experienced where a sale get 'forced' or person get put under pressure.

He didn't interrupt the sales person? Unless I missed something.

He has no vested interest other than to see someone get involved and start riding and enjoying the sport, which, was the point I think he was trying to make.

If you went into Cajees and saw someone being sold the wrong size bike at double the value it is worth because the salesman was eager to get his comm - would that unsettle you or would you say he was doing a good job?

Edited by JGR

Why so grumpy. He didn't mention a particular shop but rather a situation he oversaw and one many of us have seen before or experienced where a sale get 'forced' or person get put under pressure.

He has no vested interest other than to see someone get involved and start riding and enjoying the sport, which, was the point I think he was trying to make.

His second paragraph suggests that he did.

Not grumpy at all, but it is Monday… :thumbup:

If you went into Cajees and saw someone being sold the wrong size bike at double the value it is worth because the salesman was eager to get his comm - would that unsettle you or would you say he was doing a good job?

Not since the OP has been edited ........

Not since the OP has been edited ........

Touche

Only saw it now but still didn't come across as flaming a bike shop as he did mention a sales person making a hard sale to someone who was reluctant.

The reason I say this is my girlfriend wanted a road bike for Argus and visited a number of stores and had the same issue. Sales people pushing product really hard and not even taking the time of day to listen to what her needs were ect. She ended up buying a great bike from The Crow (hubber)! Who I was told was extremely helpful throughout the process, making sure the bike fitted ect before just 'selling' it on.

His second paragraph suggests that he did.

Not grumpy at all, but it is Monday… :thumbup:

Ahh Monday ... that b1tch. I also know her!

Tone is hard to pick up - he came across as quite genuine about trying to help (be passionate) people get into the sport and not be taken advantage of. Hope that was his intention.

Guest dilldesigns

Ahh Monday ... that b1tch. I also know her!

Tone is hard to pick up - he came across as quite genuine about trying to help (be passionate) people get into the sport and not be taken advantage of. Hope that was his intention.

Spot on JGR... I didnt interupt the sale, i was buying from the same store and saw the chap checking out bikes so i struck up a conversation. I suggested buying second hand as he mentioned he was cash strapped. No harm intented, infact i dig the store, it was the shop i offered my services to for free, so all good. I was just shocked at the way the salesman reacted when the guy brought up my suggestion of buying second hand.

I find that no, one proper bike shop is about the money alone. They all started, and survive from the love for cycling and the love of the machine.

Those that are just about the money don't last long.

There are well-know bike shops in Gauteng where the owners/assistants know NOTHING about cycling.

They stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap.

Guys, just my brief 2 cents on this one. The OP just wanted to share his passion of cycling with all and never intended to flame or interrupt anyone's business. Just lending a helping hand to someone starting out. We've all done it in the past(will do so again probably). If anyone of my friends or acquaintances talks about buying cycling goodies/bikes I ALWAYS mention thehubsa as an option. Does not matter where or whom I'm talking to. It just pops out of my mouth involuntarily!!

Give the man a break and rather support his passion for a sport we all love!

Have a great week all!

Bridge helped me Saturday before an Argus when SAA damaged the bike coming down from Jhb. That shop will always be fine with me.

Although Marc :devil: is a monster salesman. You will walk in for a 10k silverback and walk out with a 100k Spez S-works. :ph34r: Be warned!! :lol: