here's trouble - 2007 cannondales

rock

From my personal experience, admittedly not in bicycle manufacture, the opposite is true.  Quality standards are excellent in China in general.  Of course in an unregulated industry, you need to choose your suppliers carefully, but the Chinese manufacturers I have had contact with produce goods of the highest quality.  In addition, there productivity and hence their pricing is unmatched.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Years ago the 3 big maufacturer's of Bikes in Taiwan (Merida, Giant, and I think Pacific, don't quote me on that) got together to decide to only do quality work all the cheap stuff gets farmed out to China. On top of that the Guys in Taiwan have spent millions on research and tooling and equipment, their quality is undeniable! Still think a fully custom bike built for you is the best way to go.

Fact is.......I have ridden it....Tried and tested......No bike comes close....Sorry boys....the proof is in the pooding!  Tongue

Just a quick question the Spinnekop, what other bikes have you ridden? In this league and for how long on what terrain? Just for comparison.

I generally have found that the higher the volume, the lower the quality control - by default, the faster and more automated the process, the more likely the quality slips.

Spinnekop you nailed it there!! The proof of the pudding is in the eating!! How can you comment on something if you have not ridden it yourself! I have been riding Cannondales with Lefties for the last 4 years. Before that I rode bikes with normal conventional suspension forks(always top of range) and believe me there is a big difference! There is no flex of the fork and directional stability is also much better. I know of more conventional suspension forks that broke than of Lefty"s that could not take the punch!

Just a quick question the Spinnekop' date=' what other bikes have you ridden? In this league and for how long on what terrain? Just for comparison.[/quote']

On the MTB side

Giant (2 years)

Trek (2 years)

Cannondale Scalpel (1 year)

I have done a Epic and ride about 4 times a week on the MTB.  Mostly light offroad.  But I think the Epic qualifies as a bit of rough terrain.  The Scalpel that I have, have done a season of MTB SA's and a previous Epic.  THus two Epics under the belt for the bike.  I have replaced only a cable for the whole Epic......NOT BAD

Total Distance over the past 5 years:  8215km

As for the road

Hansom (2 years)

Ralleigh (Testing)

Omega (1 year)

Trek 2300 (6 months....cracked)

Trek 5500 (4 bikes all cracked over a period of 4 years...)

Cannondale Alu (1 year)

Cannondale Six13 (1 year)

All riding done in competition and training.  Competition was done in a team for most of the years, i.e Nashua, Thabiso, TCS.  So it was fairly hard racing all together

Total distance on the road since 1995 = 88 675km

Spinnekop2006-09-07 02:43:57

SRAM, Spaaidie, by all means.  But look at what you look like!  MAER GATTE.  That's why I'm scared of the damn fork.  But honestly, wouldn't mind one.  What do they go for at the moment spinne-jaater?

No Clue about anything and jealous = TheLegend

No Clue at all and ignorant = steve

hey crux, why you copying my setup????

as a fact cannondales are the least individual bikes on the market. they are way overrated (which doesn't mean they r no good) which can be observed anytime someone with little information goes to buy a bike - he buys a cannondale and because he's likes what the markets dictates him he also buys a cannodnale team outfit if he didn't enter some club where he has a club jersey. then also a helmet, top of the range of course. all that is still missing are the shaved leg and off goes our new professional!

No Clue about anything and jealous = TheLegend

No Clue at all and ignorant = steve

hey crux' date=' why you copying my setup????

as a fact cannondales are the least individual bikes on the market. they are way overrated (which doesn't mean they r no good) which can be observed anytime someone with little information goes to buy a bike - he buys a cannondale and because he's likes what the markets dictates him he also buys a cannodnale team outfit if he didn't enter some club where he has a club jersey. then also a helmet, top of the range of course. all that is still missing are the shaved leg and off goes our new professional!

[/quote']

What a load of bXllox  LOL

What a very objective and balanced statement of fact ..

For what it's worth, my (subjective) opinion on the Cannonadale product (Six13 and Tandem) is that they are probably the best made, designed and finished frames I have ever ridden (My last frame was a Litespeed Ghisallo and the Six13 kills it)

For what it's worth' date=' my (subjective) opinion on the Cannonadale product (Six13 and Tandem) is that they are probably the best made, designed and finished frames I have ever ridden (My last frame was a Litespeed Ghisallo and the Six13 kills it)
[/quote']

good you are happy with your bike.

that still doesn't change anything about the individualism that has never existed with cannondales. they produce their bikes in big scale and they are sold off the rack like this. probably most other companies would also like to have such a big sale but luckily only few do and so people with too much money will go on buying the cannondales...

For what it's worth' date=' my (subjective) opinion on the Cannonadale product (Six13 and Tandem) is that they are probably the best made, designed and finished frames I have ever ridden (My last frame was a Litespeed Ghisallo and the Six13 kills it)
[/quote']

good you are happy with your bike.

that still doesn't change anything about the individualism that has never existed with cannondales. they produce their bikes in big scale and they are sold off the rack like this. probably most other companies would also like to have such a big sale but luckily only few do and so people with too much money will go on buying the cannondales...

The only way to avoid buying a mass produced frame is to go to a bespoke frame builder and commision one. Any other bike, even the so called boutique brands are no more individual than a Cannondale and in many cases far less so.

How you go from large volume sales, to people with too much money buying them is beyond me, maybe you need to look at your logic here Confused

On a more serious note!!

I've never ridden a Cannondale, but that lefty thing just don't make any engineering sense at all.

Surely there must be issues with braking as well as directional stability?

We all know that seals are most effective in a cylinder (round) hence round pistons in an engine, pumps are round as well. So, if the fork stanchion is round there would be no way of stopping the wheel flapping around and doing its own thing. If it aint round then the seals are not as efficient or durable as those in conventional forks.

As for it being lighter, I can't see that either as the fork stanchion, lower casing etc is all bigger than on a conventional fork. If it does twice the work, it needs to be significantly stronger - and therefore heavier.

..........it just don't make no sense and defies all logic, or have I missed something obvious.

Yes the obvious part that you all miss is that the car you drive also features lefty technology or maybe the lefty uses automotive technology! The wheels of your car is also only attached to the rest of the body in one place. BMW shaft driven motorcycles same thing!