Scott Spark issues

Schoemie

Hi.

I have read there have been some issues on the scott sparks?Especially looking at Spark 910 or 900 RC.

Any experiences?

What warranty is there on the frame.

Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that the pivot bearings on some Sparks are not greased from the factory, causing the rear triangle to break. Some have taken the bearings out on their new Sparks and greased them and have ridden trouble free since. you should not need to do this, but they are great bikes and something as small as this shouldn't put you off. So if you buy one make sure the bearings are greased and enjoy.

I bought my spark 910 last year and no issues. Amazing bike very happy with my purchase. Two mates also bought 910's last year and no hassles either.

Bought my spark 920 in April 2013, and no issues with the frame. The fox fork needed to be re-built about 3 months ago.

Just do a search on the Hub and you will see how many people have had the rear triangle break. One woman's broke twice in a few weeks.

Not so much as the breaking, but Scott are struggling to warranty these items and there have been complaints of having to wait months for replacement parts.

Not sure what the warranty period is, but, what happens when it runs out. You will be paying through your neck for new triangles.

People will soon realise the problem and re-sale value will also be affected as the warranty never transfers to the second owner. I won't buy a second hand bike that has a reputation for breaking and there is no warranty.

Just do a search on the Hub and you will see how many people have had the rear triangle break. One woman's broke twice in a few weeks.

Not so much as the breaking, but Scott are struggling to warranty these items and there have been complaints of having to wait months for replacement parts.

For the record - I cracked mine on the last day of the epic, sent the photos to Scott this week Monday, expecting the replacement part early next week - no issues at all so far with getting it approved.

And I am not using either the selling dealer, or even an approved Scott supplying bike shop - just my normal LBS.

got the premium, great bike. built it up just under 10kg has my lynskey gathering dust at the moment.

i dont buy new on bikes got the frame second hand! and no problems yet.

I have a scott spark elite and a 910. Cracked the chainstay on the elite and was replaced within a week. The 910 did the Epic and the Lowveld Quest without any problems. Very happy with the bikes and with the aftersale service

For the record - I cracked mine on the last day of the epic, sent the photos to Scott this week Monday, expecting the replacement part early next week - no issues at all so far with getting it approved.

And I am not using either the selling dealer, or even an approved Scott supplying bike shop - just my normal LBS.

My replacement swingarm has arrived at my LBS - so basically 7 days from starting the process - hard to complain about that.

My replacement swingarm has arrived at my LBS - so basically 7 days from starting the process - hard to complain about that.

Bet you a bag of beans that someone here could and probably will.

I've got a Spark Premium. Did the 3 Towers, Sani2C and now the Epic without any issues. Great Bike and Great Service from Scott.

Depends on how you handle and look after it but the frames are flexy especially if you don't run 12mm though axle. And bushes are expensive to replace since you have to buy a whole kit not just the worn parts.

Depends on how you handle and look after it but the frames are flexy especially if you don't run 12mm though axle. And bushes are expensive to replace since you have to buy a whole kit not just the worn parts.

So the bikes got 100mm rear travel and nice squishy mtb tyres and you can tell the "flexy" difference between a 12mm thru axle and a QR? Maximum respect dude!

• 4 months later...
Guest TheEpicOne

I bought a scott spark 910 2 months ago and have problems.

I get creaks and squeeks from my bike, local bike shop replaced pivots / bearings and tested the BB and according to them all fine but I still get the same creaks and squeeks!!! Very pissed off

• 2 months later...

My cousin and I both have identical 2012 Scott Spark Elite's.  He noticed a crack on his rear chain stay 2 days before Wines2Whales this year. Managed to get a bike shop to strip an existing bike to replace his part.  Checked my bike before the ride and no issues. 

Checked after the ride and guess what....  also cracked in exactly the same spot!!   :cursing:

Archived