Are XCO riders the ultimate mountain bikers?

Rata Del Spruit

Well, if we are talking "wannabe" XCO riders we might us well get off the bus.

However if we are talking really good and fast XCO riders, then yes,we have the complete package of what a real hard and versatile mountain biker is.

I simply don't touch the XCO stuff, I simply don't have the skill.

I have said it before and I will say it again, these guys have way too much skill and flow for me to want to try and even compete against them without looking like an absolute fool.

On a side note.

How did all our current African Champs do at the weekends racing ?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mate of mine got a wildcard entry for the elite race. Tyron Bird. Riding a flash 29

i dont know tyron bird, never heard of him before so with all due respect, i ask a simple question was he perhaps riding above his ability, just a question not slamming him, kudos for trying at least, if it was me, i would relish the opportunity to start with the Pro's & grab it as well even if i know i'll get my ass handed to me.

i dont know tyron bird, never heard of him before so with all due respect, i ask a simple question was he perhaps riding above his ability, just a question not slamming him, kudos for trying at least, if it was me, i would relish the opportunity to start with the Pro's & grab it as well even if i know i'll get my ass handed to me.

Nah mate. He has the talent. He's good technically, and this was one of those freak crashes I reckon. Just a misplaced wheel here or there and you're gone.

Yes it was his first xco as a wildcard but he deserves to be there.

The ultimate MTBer is the XCO rider who also rides the Epic

Why only the Epic? Why not also include some of the other tough stage races? Cape Pioneer? Freedom Challenge? Others?

He had already aced the tough stuff, and fell on the corner on the way out. He was carrying a lot of speed, perhaps even more than some of the guys in front of him. Not a fall I would blame on skill.

Nah mate. He has the talent. He's good technically, and this was one of those freak crashes I reckon. Just a misplaced wheel here or there and you're gone.

I don't know your mate and I am not aiming this comment towards him.

When these top World Class riders put the hammer down, one only then gets to realise how technically inapt you really are compared to them.

There is a difference between being technically good or technically good at speed.

Hope he heals well.

I don't know your mate and I am not aiming this comment towards him.

When these top World Class riders put the hammer down, one only then gets to realise how technically inapt you really are compared to them.

There is a difference between being technically good or technically good at speed.

Hope he heals well.

Lol yeah. Saying that, he needs more exposure to this sorta stuff to get to where he wants to be..

But yeah. Those okes are INSANE

thanks, then I have no doubt we'll see him at the very top soon. Send him well

Wishes from the Hub.

Yesterday we played a bit on some technical stuff. So we tried some rock gardens. I pick a line that looks good, goes and get stuck on the very last rock, flying over the bike. So I ask my boy, what am I doing wrong? He, off course, flies over it like it is nothing. So he tells me I am going over it too slow. He says, I must pick my line, commit to it and go fast. I don't know, I usually value my face a bit more than going fast over rocks.

Edited by Moridin

Just a note here

Thanks to Spur for running the Junior XCO series and here is to hoping we find a couple of stars come out of this investment made by them into the sport.

No I do not work for Spur :)

What bikes are most ridden in XCO, Hard tail or soft tail?

It looks like the majority of riders were on hardtails yesterday. There were a few full suspensions, and the best placed one was Ondrej Cink in 5th, if I remember correctly.

There weren't any softails though... And I doubt that you will see a soft tail at any modern XCO world cup race.