Quickly accessible self defence

Rapunzel

Twice I've had pedestrians try to pull me off my bike and it happens so quickly that having mace in a back pocket is pretty useless. Has anybody got a nifty way to keep it in a more accessible spot?

Twice I've had pedestrians try to pull me off my bike and it happens so quickly that having mace in a back pocket is pretty useless. Has anybody got a nifty way to keep it in a more accessible spot?

In their mouth.

But seriously, go to Sharp Edge in Sandton, they have some nifty goodies there.

Half under the trouser leg of your shorts - lots of people carry lipice there.. the idea is if you are separated from your bike, you can still use it to defend yourself.

Remember the primary objective - STAY ALIVE.... bikes can be replaced.

velcro strap sewed to your shirt where a shirt pocket would be with velcro on the can wham bham done

When approaching dicey area take the spray off the stem and put it on the outside of glove \hand with a strap going around 4 fingers in case you get seperated from your bike.I would prefer gel mixed with some dye

I like the velcro on the top tube - it's also a lot less cumbersome than this setup

Having been hijacked off my bike many years ago - sticking it on the top tube is TOTALLY useless - I was off my bike and being patted down before I even realised what was happening.

So pockets are out and putting it on the bike is out - you are unlikely to have time to get it off.

Guest EdEdEd

You just have to be really badass!

Why not take self defense classes, I think that might work best..I should take my own advice..

I was relieved of my bike in 2012 in Durbanville. I have been using the mace on the top tube approach since then but there is absolutely no way of knowing exactly how you will be relieved of your bike.

I was hit by what must have been a shoulder (In thought I got hit by a car) by the time I got up again they perp was half way down the road on my bike. Blindsided completely and hit the deck so hard that it took me a good couple of seconds to get up.

Then Fog or a Gel stream for Distance ?

Take the gel (Didn't know they made a gel one. Should be nice and sticky.). The fog in the wind is not cool.... Even the single stream will work

Why not take self defense classes, I think that might work best..I should take my own advice..

I actually detest those classes, people don't do them often enough to remember anything.

if you ride with a back pack, why not Velcro the pepper spray /mace to the pack strap on your chest - opposite side to your stronger arm. your back pack will be on you longer than you on the bike.

With our Tai Chi classes we do Chin Na (joint locking) - when my Sifu demos the moves or does it on us - there's no doubt it works, but without the experience of doing it repeatedly - I find it's not intuitive, and when you grab the other person wrong - it just doesn't work - and in a real life danger situation you don't really have time to think, but I think knowing some basic moves might buy you those few seconds to get away.