Review: Smoove Chain Lubricant

Batmanza

So how much is this stuff!!

It's about R110 at eagle canyon cycles.

I will not be using another lube again in the near future. This stuff is great when applied the night before. Used on five 90km+ rides in the last few months and no issues regardless of conditions.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really interesting to see all these positive comments. id read about it and thought it sounded good. i cleaned my chain really thoroughly and applied it as directed the night before the epic prologue. within 40 minutes my chain was squeaking like it was bone dry which it was. I've tried it again since and same thing. I'm wondering if i should apply more than directed and see if that works coz so far I've found it crap.

Not sure what you are doing wrong ... Ive been using it for the last month with no issues

any know how it compares to RockNRoll chain lube?

I use r&r blue, but its very hard to get hold of. Very different lubes, r&r blue is thinner but works also very good. I like smoove better cause I know I can get some quickly.

Been using for three months now and all seems well.

Have done some serious muddy riding and races and this stuff sticks.

It takes a good bit of scrubbing to get off after a ride.

So far so good for me personally.

I'm still looking for that clever engineer who can prove that dry lubricants actually lubricate !!!!. For anything to lubricate, it must be in a fluid state for it to flow in and out of the rotating surfaces (chain links and rollers) once the solvent eavaporates the so called lubricant becomes a solid mass, and as soon as pressure is applied it is pushed out from between the rotating surfaces and cannot flow back when the pressure is released.

If dry lubricants were so fantastic then why isn't it used on chain drives in industrial applications.

Its all marketing BS, making insane amounts of money on a product that actually cost very little to manufacture.

Proper oil as a lubricant cannot be beaten, yes you will have to clean your drive train more often but it will last a lot longer.

Rather spend your money on a good chain cleaning method than a stupid lubricant that cannot and does'nt work

I agree with this.

My other half bought a bottle a few weeks back and in all honesty I cant say Im wowed by it. It still gets dust and crap stuck to it like any other wax based lubricant or oil.

Halfway through the Cradle Trophy race on day 1 we still had to re-lube as they chains were making noise and before any clever twit asks,did I apply it properly the night before?", the answer is yes I did.

Did I apply it to a properly cleaned chain, yes I did.

Best lubes I have used and that last the longest is Castrol GTX or Magnatec.... magnatec is a little on the thin side.

If its bought to enrich someone in their garage it would be the white lightening Wet Ride, the purple colour one... does exactly the same as GTX.

EDIT:

Best part about the oils is that its less of a mission to get a nice sparkly chain when washing it with the powasol soap and water.

Edited by ChUkKy

I use r&r blue, but its very hard to get hold of. Very different lubes, r&r blue is thinner but works also very good. I like smoove better cause I know I can get some quickly.

cool thanks for the feedback, i've never had an issue with RockNRoll be available *touches wood*

guess i'll can stick with what i know :)

Ek gaan nie bossies omdraai nie maar die lube is rerig awsome.....ek het dadelik n verskil gesien en ek weet die is beter as enige ander op die mark.....en glo my daar is baie prudukte wat duurder is maar die een is beter. Asome product

It's about R110 at eagle canyon cycles.

I will not be using another lube again in the near future. This stuff is great when applied the night before. Used on five 90km+ rides in the last few months and no issues regardless of conditions.

R110 for 100ml?

I'm still looking for that clever engineer who can prove that dry lubricants actually lubricate !!!!. For anything to lubricate, it must be in a fluid state for it to flow in and out of the rotating surfaces (chain links and rollers) once the solvent eavaporates the so called lubricant becomes a solid mass, and as soon as pressure is applied it is pushed out from between the rotating surfaces and cannot flow back when the pressure is released.

If dry lubricants were so fantastic then why isn't it used on chain drives in industrial applications.

Its all marketing BS, making insane amounts of money on a product that actually cost very little to manufacture.

Proper oil as a lubricant cannot be beaten, yes you will have to clean your drive train more often but it will last a lot longer.

Rather spend your money on a good chain cleaning method than a stupid lubricant that cannot and does'nt work

hold on marc....the question is really WHY do we lubricate...here is why I do it

To extend the drivetrain's life

To keep the drivetrain quiet.

The oil based lubricants(motorex, finishline green, pedro's synth lube) I have used did not extend the life of my drivetrain anymore than a wax / teflon lube did....if I got 500 more km out of a drivetrain I would have sticked with it, the only thing it did do is make a mess, a mess that is hard to clean.

Oh and for the record, I kept record of my rides and equipment wear in sporttracks...nice little plugin you can download. I really wish it did extend the drivetrain's life but alas it didn't...can't deny the numbers.

Edited by rouxtjie

hold on marc....the question is really WHY do we lubricate...here is why I do it

To extend the drivetrain's life

To keep the drivetrain quiet.

The oil based lubricants(motorex, finishline green, pedro's synth lube) I have used did not extend the life of my drivetrain anymore than a wax / teflon lube did....if I got 500 more km out of a drivetrain I would have sticked with it, the only thing it did do is make a mess, a mess that is hard to clean.

Oh and for the record, I kept record of my rides and equipment wear in sporttracks...nice little plugin you can download. I really wish it did extend the drivetrain's life but alas it didn't...can't deny the numbers.

And in dry dusty winter conditions the oil turns into a nice squeaky grinding paste. Not that smooth doesnt eventually too but takes alot longer.

R1100 per liter of Smoove Lube, what's in there exactly that motivates what appears to be absolutely ridiculous pricing? (Apart from the fact that most of the other bicycle lube manufacturers price like that).