Review: Smoove Chain Lubricant

Batmanza

Thanks for your response, unfortunately simply putting "....fact" after a sentence doesn't make it so.

Why is oil better? ummm, because it's a lube?

Oh, and if you prefer Smoove, I have absolutely no problem with that.

Pray tell, how do you measure the wear of the chain? I presume you had a large, random sample of chains? Under identical conditions, with the only variable being the "lube" ?

It's a personal thing, use what works for you.

Read again sir, these are not my opinions but indeed my and other people's experiences....so yes they are facts since they are real... But it seems like you don't want to hear these now do you....no one is as blind as the person that doesn't want to see...you know that ol chestnut.

Oh and yes, I did measure the chain wear using a ruler...please see this site for how its done, I don't want to derail this thread.... bicycletutor.com

I replaced the chains when they needed to be replaced according to the method in the above link. Kept the chains and cassettes the same brand and model so yes you are quite correct, the only variable was lube. My greatest concern was that I would never be able to replicate the exact conditions and trails in my data, but looking at it afterwards, there were enough wet / muddy / dry / dusty samples in both so I was satisfied that there was nothing to write home about ito skewing the data. And if oil was sooooo much better at lubricating, surely the data will show it, again I really wish it was so due to the price of these consumables but alas.

Now its my turn to poke holes in your argument....this statement of yours... Why is oil better? ummm, because it's a lube? hardly inspires confidence, is it true because you say so or because its spelled oil...or am I missing something. Please tell me you have more than "because its lube"

Do yourself a favor and compare the lifespan of your drivetrain...don't take everything for granted. Use oil because you are a DIY kinda guy, use oil because it's 5c per ride and you want to brag about that on your coffee rides, use oil because you like black hands and calf tattoos...but don't use it because it extends the drivetrain's life so much more than other lubricant types.

Edited by rouxtjie

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read again sir, these are not my opinions but indeed my and other people's experiences....so yes they are facts since they are real... .......

Relax.

I asked what makes Smoove better than other oil-based chain lubes. I asked that because I am really interested and would like to know if there is a lube that has the benefits of oil without the mess factor.

You went off at a tangent about a variety of issues.

What makes Smoove better than other oil-based chain lubes? Simple question.

Oh, and please let's stay with facts (for example: it has such and such an additive, etc)

Thanks

Relax.

I asked what makes Smoove better than other oil-based chain lubes. I asked that because I am really interested and would like to know if there is a lube that has the benefits of oil without the mess factor.

You went off at a tangent about a variety of issues.

What makes Smoove better than other oil-based chain lubes? Simple question.

Oh, and please let's stay with facts (for example: it has such and such an additive, etc)

Thanks

I am very relaxed Johan, but to me a fact is something tangible that makes a difference, like for example it doesn't clog up in the cassette and jockey wheels like some other wax based lubes, also the reason why I don't use those lubes....magic additives or fancy processes mean jack unless they make something real better...the variety of issues you mention are musts for me when looking at lubes.

But to sum it up in word for you, the biggest factor that makes this lube better than oil based lubes....cleaner. So there you have it, simple answer for a simple question

Better is relative to what you want out of a lube...but I think two non neg are...it must extend the drivetrain's life in comparison to having no lubrication and secondly it must keep the whole thing quiet...no one likes riding on or with a squeaking symphony orchestra. The rest is all relative.

I am very relaxed Johan, but to me a fact is something tangible that makes a difference, like for example it doesn't clog up in the cassette and jockey wheels like some other wax based lubes, also the reason why I don't use those lubes....magic additives or fancy processes mean jack unless they make something real better...the variety of issues you mention are musts for me when looking at lubes.

But to sum it up in word for you, the biggest factor that makes this lube better than oil based lubes....cleaner. So there you have it, simple answer for a simple question

Better is relative to what you want out of a lube...but I think two non neg are...it must extend the drivetrain's life in comparison to having no lubrication and secondly it must keep the whole thing quiet...no one likes riding on or with a squeaking symphony orchestra. The rest is all relative.

Thanks Rouxtjie, now you have my attention! What is Smoove if it's not oil and not a wax-solvent mix. Kom nou man, uit met dit.....

Thanks Rouxtjie, now you have my attention! What is Smoove if it's not oil and not a wax-solvent mix. Kom nou man, uit met dit.....

Johan, green idee nie....it's feels like wax, looks like wax but doesn't behave like wax....which stumps me totally. I was running out of rock and roll blue, went to lbs where I normally get rock and roll and they were out of stock. Laaitie behind counter said I must try this, I told him that I would bring it back for a refund if it behaved like squirt...he agreed, which surprised me, but hey...tried it and was pleasantly surprised.

Johan, green idee nie....it's feels like wax, looks like wax but doesn't behave like wax....which stumps me totally. I was running out of rock and roll blue, went to lbs where I normally get rock and roll and they were out of stock. Laaitie behind counter said I must try this, I told him that I would bring it back for a refund if it behaved like squirt...he agreed, which surprised me, but hey...tried it and was pleasantly surprised.

Dankie. Nou moet Meneer Smoove net die hele storie uitpak.....;)

• 4 weeks later...

After following this thread for a while I tried GTX on my chain. Came back from the spruit with a large amount of grit and debris on the chain. Took a couple of rounds of cleaning to get back to a clean chain again (engine degreaser first and then clean green). There are some people here who will swear by their GTX, but for me the experiment was enough to dissuade me from doing that again. Think I'll stick to wax/dry lubes for the time being until I pluck up the courage for my next experiment, which will be chainsaw oil.

After following this thread and a few others and even an argument of my own on the hub , my newb conclusion is that us cyclist type are befok over arguing with each other over the smallest of things. If someone who didn't ride saw this argument they would think you guys are nuts. But wow this **** is entertaining like nothing on earth. The passion is tangible ,and then u step back and remember it's all about who uses what to lube their change. U got to love it.

I tried Smoove for the first time at Sani this year, and I was not impressed. Applied it to a sparkling clean chain the night before. It was an extremely dry and dusty race this year, and shortly after the crossing of the PG bison floating bridge the pawpaw hit the fan. Die ketting het begin skree soos 'n maer vark wat se keel met 'n stomp mes afgesny word! I had to re apply twice before the end at Mckenzie's club.

Needles to say I reverted back to my trusted Squirt and despite a few water crossings in the valley on day 2 chain remained silent. I don't get the wax buildup that some people complain when using Squirt, but then I only apply to a clean chain when it is removed from the bike and lying flat on a table. I apply the Squirt to the rollers and work the chain between my fingers so that it can penetrate, then wipe of the excess.

I also tried Smoove after running out of R&R blue and I must say I am not impressed at all.

Yes it lasted through each stage at sani, but the amount of gung I had on my cassette and jockey wheels was insane. It felt like a paste/glue and was almost impossible to get off.

Luckily I found some R&R blue in the week at solomons woodmead so I can stop this testing with other lubes now. That stuff just works!!!

After following this thread and a few others and even an argument of my own on the hub , my newb conclusion is that us cyclist type are befok over arguing with each other over the smallest of things. If someone who didn't ride saw this argument they would think you guys are nuts. But wow this **** is entertaining like nothing on earth. The passion is tangible ,and then u step back and remember it's all about who uses what to lube their change. U got to love it.

The "All Knowing Hub"!

However there are some members who have technical advice that you will pay for at most LBS's.

I tried Smoove for the first time at Sani this year, and I was not impressed. Applied it to a sparkling clean chain the night before. It was an extremely dry and dusty race this year, and shortly after the crossing of the PG bison floating bridge the pawpaw hit the fan. Die ketting het begin skree soos 'n maer vark wat se keel met 'n stomp mes afgesny word! I had to re apply twice before the end at Mckenzie's club.

Needles to say I reverted back to my trusted Squirt and despite a few water crossings in the valley on day 2 chain remained silent. I don't get the wax buildup that some people complain when using Squirt, but then I only apply to a clean chain when it is removed from the bike and lying flat on a table. I apply the Squirt to the rollers and work the chain between my fingers so that it can penetrate, then wipe of the excess.

Squirt forever! Over applying any lube will cause problems. Clean properly, apply, remove excess until you can run chain between your fingers without noticeable residue. I find that cleaning a chain and sprockets that have been using Squirt is just so much easier as well. Each unto his own theory though!